News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

I don't come to grips with the HiHat

Started by tom, August 28, 2009, 08:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tom

Hi!
I'm wondering if I might be the only person that finds it hard to accustom to the HiHat-controller. I have to admit that I haven't played an electronical drumkit for three jears or something like that till now and I know that electronical HiHats are a bit special to play but I simply can't believe that everything is okay with my HiHat-controller. I carried out these steps (as described in that "Quick Start Guide") approximately fifty times now (also along with other settings) but it still doesn't work as expected. From a closed-HiHat-sound to the completely open sound there are only 2-3mm which is - compared to my accoustic HiHats - extremely hard to control. Especially that slightly-open-sound is extremely hard to achieve and when I'm trying to do that swing "ching ga ding" on the HiHat I think I'm getting crazy... I guess there's nothing left that I've not tried to make it feel a bit more natural (including using another HiHat-stand) but still everything happens within these two milimeters - it just feels worse than an accoustic HiHat with the bottom cymbal set absolutely level.

Additionally the first drumkit "DrumIt_Live_Kit" seems to have two different sounds for a half open HiHat which seem to be triggererd randomly.

Could that strange beviour be caused by a damage or are there any settings (that I still haven't found) through which I could set the virtual bottom cymbal angle (I bought a set that was set up and exhibited in a music store for a few days and maybe somebody disadjusted the controller...)?

Any help appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Tom

wbrs

Have you got your HH Sussed out yet? What news if any do you have on it getting resolved. And any other opinions on your kit. It seems really quiet around here. Is everybody just weighting for the fixes?

Travis182

Hi Tom, so hav you done the hi hat calibration, I assume you have?. I Have read from a member on here (simpan) that he has also found this a little tricky and that 2box have been working on a fix for this in there next update, which I don't think would be to much longer to wait, so I would say try the test again and just try to wait for the next o.s update.

boekhour

I had exactly the same problem at my drumstore, unplayable hihat. The guy there installed a conventional heavy hihatstand and this makes a lot of difference in the positive way. Snatches and 16 notes were difficult to achieve also, but with the sturdier hihatstand these were a lot easier to do. It's just an alcheapo bloody hihatstand they deliverd with the pre-massmarket kit! Somebody in Holland got a letter from Bengt, citate about the hihat issue:

"The hihat stand is cheap – so we already decided to use a stronger sturdier hihat. We have also added a part that makes the stand stable, this will be added free of charge to these first kits. The hihat spring is also to weak so this will be improved. The feel of playing the hihatsounds is a bit different than you might be used with – now was the hihatcalibrated? Its seems that the retailers have missed this. So check that again please. What is it more precisely that you don't like with the triggering? In general I can say that you need to move the pedal a little bit more that you would on a regular hihat to change the between the different open sound layers. (there are 4)"

Travis182

So surely this is a good thing? The fact that they have said they will replace all th parts free or charge to fix the problems is great. Yes it's not totally perfect that these problems exist but  in my opinion the fact they have been honest and said they will try  to sort it is all good?

wbrs

I'm glad to hear they are on top of it. Was he saying you have to ajust your technique to the hat?

Tooltip

I would say that the HiHat is a bit strange... I´ve tried it a bit now and it seems to me that the problem is partly hardware partly software. The mount that attaches the HiHat to the stand is weak and it results in the HiHat sliding out of position after a while no matter how hard you attach it. Also, if you set the sensitivity high the Zone 8 (I´m not sure about this) seems to trigger at the highest level no matter how you play. And it ghost/double triggers a lot. The strange thing is that this problem seems to appear rather randomly... I know that you have to adapt your playing style to this instrument but as the HiHat functions now it´s not really ok. Hope this will be fixed in the 1.0 release and the new hardware additions. Otherwise it´s a totally beautiful and engaging experience! Really awesome kit!