News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What about these cymbals with 2box?

Started by westerlu77, January 14, 2011, 12:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roel

Quote from: Evy on January 15, 2011, 11:54:43 PM
they won't work because they aren't triggers, they work as actual cymbals that have a built in mic and outboard sound processor.  The big plus--if you could line it into the 2box modual--is having a real hihat with an ekit.

But you can't use the sounds of the 2box module, so thats a shame...

hwasser

No these aren't digital cymbal pads. This is like an electric guitar, u plug in to the amp where u can change the sound and volume.

Evy

i think I'm loving these.  From the video, the guy makes note of adding the reverb...when 2Box is lined in, will that cover 2Box sounds as well?  cool...cool! 

edtc

Quote from: Evy on January 16, 2011, 03:51:23 PM
   From the video, the guy makes note of adding the reverb...when 2Box is lined in, will that cover 2Box sounds as well?  cool...cool! 

yES , I think so ... as the unit mixes the ilne in with the cymbal sound  , it looks like reverb will affect both ... but cant be sure as i didnt saw one by myself...

... will this reverb be a good quality one ... for 700 € the kit  that s less than sure ...

Daniel

they look like that they will crack pretty fast.

Evy

I would like to think the designers thought about heavy hitters when putting them together.  Who knows maybe it's alien reverse engineered alloys ;)..but as with any cymbal, they do break.

Evy

Samus...have you been following this thread at all?

Baby Samus

Quote from: Evy on January 21, 2011, 02:02:44 AM
Samus...have you been following this thread at all?

Must be a major case of brain lock on my part  ???  Out of my brain plopped a random post, I must have clicked the wrong thread!

But yes, I had read this thread with interest, so back on topic...

Love the look of these Zildjians, but it seems like its appeal will be limited to a niche market.  I can't see who they're aiming these at - I mean they sound okay, a bit tinny maybe; they look the part; you can plug them straight into the desk and no mic required - thats quite cool too.  Just can't help thinking most drummers would be better off spending the money on good cymbal microphones rather than new cymbals which probably sound worse than the ones you already have - I dunno...call me cynical  ;)

But hey if they could be used to trigger, the surface could be very nice to play on - perhaps Zildjian will enter the e-drum market soon - what with Pearl jumping on the bandwagon its a possibility they want a slice of the market too.  Probably not but hey - speculation is fun.

The cymbal vault software looks very nice though - if you could get those in 2Box/wave format it would be a worthy purchase indeed...

Daniel

does anyone know if they also send a midi out-signal?

puttenvr

Since they have normal microphones: I don't think so

edtc

Quote from: Danny on January 21, 2011, 08:04:06 AM
does anyone know if they also send a midi out-signal?

Even pads or 2box cymbals dont send any midi signal .... it s an audio signal , that has to be as short and tight as possible , to avoid double triggering ... it s the module who transforms this signal into midi .

As the GEN16 cymbals have a long resonnant signal , it would produce double (or more ) triggering ...

that s why those cymbals simply wont work "alone " with the 2 box module ...

Daniel

Quote from: edtc on January 21, 2011, 01:21:10 PM
Even pads or 2box cymbals dont send any midi signal .... it s an audio signal , that has to be as short and tight as possible , to avoid double triggering ... it s the module who transforms this signal into midi .

As the GEN16 cymbals have a long resonnant signal , it would produce double (or more ) triggering ...

that s why those cymbals simply wont work "alone " with the 2 box module ...

yeah actually i was reffering to the brain. if these cymbals turn out to be cool i might replace them with the 2box ones. but i always record all midi data from the 2box for later editing in superior drummer etc.

edtc

IMO the audio module dont send midi signal... it looks like a mixer with some EQ processing + effect .... if it was MIDI , the marketting of GEN16 would certainly tell it ...

we ll see this as soon as there will be a manual online ...

Daniel

ok, next question: does the brain have lineouts for every single cymbal or just a stereo mix?