News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Triggering Acoustic Drums

Started by welshsteve, October 12, 2013, 10:34:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

Hello 2box people!

I am about to go on tour with a rock and roll show (www.circusofhorrors.co.uk) and was wanting to trigger the drums, in part to save channels on the desk as we have a limitation this tour, and to get that massive, Rob Zombie type drum sound (I haven't even gotten to what samples on the 2box brain to use yet) Also, I fear the engineer isn't gonna be up to scratch and being a soundman myself, I notice drums are usually the thing that suffers most when someone doesn't have a decent set of ears on them.
Anyway, need to get some triggers. Ddrum pro triggers are the industry standard but I bought a set in 2004 to use with a Ddrum 4 mondule and it worked a charm. But after a month, they all broke and with the same issue (one of the wires braking off the transducer) Clavia (the founder and owners of Ddrum at that time) sent me a load of new transducers, but after a while, they all broke too. So I was seriously put off triggering live, until now. I know people who have had these for years and never had an issue. So was I subject of a bad batch or are they generally not very reliable?
They have since brought out the DDT which have double transducers incase of an failure, so is this is a common issue.
Are there any better alternatives? Bear in mind, I will not being using mesh heads, they'll be trigger from mylar heads (albeit heavily muffled for improved triggering)
Is it possible to achieve fairly accurate triggering with triggers and the 2box module?
Thanks for any advice in advance!
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

edtc

I never had a chance to test them myself , bur an Aquarian inhead system could be cool for kick and snare ...dual piezo side triggers or a DIY internal side trigger can be enough for toms ...

Most reliability problems with DDRUM or DDT triggers are caused by  mounting and unmounting ... have a look at Wronka internal triggers ... they can stay inside and are protected ...

all those solutions are 2box compatible...

have a nice day

welshsteve

Hey thanks for the reply!
I happen to try the 2box brain with two triggers. 1. Kat acoustic trigger (Made for them by Trigger Perfect. I forgot I had this as I never used it, from 1993 or something)  and a Ddrum snare trigger (without the splitter cable for the rim) I played with the settings and the difference was chalk and cheese.
Ddrum, tracked almost as good as a pad and I didn't dampen the drum at all.
Kat trigger. Almost un-usable. I had to increase the gain to 15 to get it to trigger to 0 (max) lower threshold and it still couldn't fire rolls.
Ddrum trigger all the way for performance.
But like I said in my first post, I tried this in 2004 and had reliability issues within a month. A week or so with Redshots, a month with the pro triggers. Now, I am not a psychopath when I play, and most of Heavy Metal players "rely" on these. They send me a load of new transducers, which after about a 6 months, all broke again so I gave up.
Was it a bad batch?
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

edtc

i ve bought my module with a DDRUM trigger and a DDT meshhead before i DIY my own sensors ...   i experimennted with this  DDRUM , so mounted and unmounted a lot... the sensors wire broke quite quickly ...

I think internal triggers are more reliable as they are more protected  , and can stay inside permanently...

for the snare , if you prefere the feel and sound of a real mylar head , http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/products/inhead
is what you need ...