News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2box module with Trapkat HELP!

Started by cutaway79, December 13, 2016, 09:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutaway79

Hi everyone!

I just bought a Trapkat midi controller off ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/222329135240?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT ), and I'm now looking for a pro quality brain.  I owned a Roland TD-20 kit for a few years, and sold it about 8 years ago or so, but didn't really utilize most of it's features (just a little eq'ing and effects here and there).  So I'm pretty unfamiliar with the world of electronics.  From what I've read, the Roland TD-30 and the 2box seem to be the most popular.  The 2box seems to have (for the most part) more of what I'm looking for - realistic acoustic drum sounds, and the ability to add user sounds (the price ain't bad either).  But I read something about people having problems with the 2box hihat sounds when using anything other that the proprietary 2box hihat pad/pedal.  Has anybody tried using the 2box module with a Trapkat, or other Kat midi controller?  Just curious how/if they work together.  And of course, any other info/insight that anyone wants to give is always appreciated.

Thanks

-Chris

welshsteve

You're using the 2box as a sound source only, the trapkat will connect via midi and you will not be using any of the 2box trigger ins at all?

It will depend how the Trapkat sets open to closed via midi. When I have recorded from the kit to DAW software, the hihat sends "foot control" midi control message. If you can set the trap cat to set that as a control message from open to closed, you'll be fine! Also in your case, if you can also set the midi note for Hihat foot separately (as you'll need a different note to the one which is the hi hat top) and similarly for the hihat edge, you shouldn't have any issues with the 2box module. It may even play better than the 2box hihat controller, which is the weakest part of the kit.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

welshsteve

I have had a quick look through the TrapKat manual and it looks like it sends continuous hihat control messages using the CC message that that the drumit 5 will recognise, even train it to give you foot splash too!

But to be absolutely sure, consult the 2box manual or even send an email to 2box in sweden.

You will have the most natural sounding of the drum modules out there IMHO. And when you get into sampling your own drums or VSTs, it will come into its own. Message Jman here, he's the kiddy when it comes to what you can do with the module and creating your own sounds.

Good luck!

cutaway79

Thanks for the info welshsteve!  Knowing very little about electronics, it can be pretty overwhelming trying to sift through all the information out there.

cutaway79

Well, I did some more research and just ordered the 2box module.  With all the stuff I've read, it just seems like it's going to suit my needs better than the TD-30.  Plus, the 2box was way cheaper, which is nice. 

I'm sure I'm going to be on here a lot now, possibly asking stupid noob questions, haha.  Please bear with me.

welshsteve

ask away, we are all here to help!  :drum3:

cutaway79

Much appreciated!  I'm very excited about this new electronic adventure I'm about to embark on!

cutaway79

I've been watching a bunch of videos on YouTube of the 2box, and the TD-30 (manufacturer and amateur videos alike), and the more I watch, the more artificial the Roland sounds (even in the videos made by Roland themselves).  I mean, they would take some time getting those things sounding as good as possible for the video, right?  Yet they still have a very fake sound to them.  Especially when played back to back against the 2box.  I think I made the right decision.

digitalDrummer

Saw you started a similar discussion over at vdrums. I expect to see a lot of questions because you're going to hit some serious challenges, especially with the hi-hats.

cutaway79

I found a decent price on one that comes with a 32GB upgrade, and a hihat stand conversion that's supposed to improve response.  Not sure if that'll work with what I've got or not.  We'll see though.  If I have to get a separate hihat, I'll live.

digitalDrummer

Quote from: cutaway79 on December 14, 2016, 06:35:15 AM
If I have to get a separate hihat, I'll live.
It's difficult to position it comfortably with the trapKAT, but I'm sure you'll find a way.

welshsteve

If you're gonna use a hi hat conversion instead of triggering hihats in the module via midi, then like the previous reply said, a hihat stand might be hard to position, maybe a remote hihat stand would be better?
Personally, I would try one of the trapkat pads and a hihat control pedal (Roland/Yamaha etc) to trigger the hihat sound via midi. You might prefer two pads to get edge and bow hat sounds, but there is no shortage of pads on the trapkat for you to do this.

ANGR77

If not goIng for a hi-hat stand conversion connected to the 2box..a Roland Fd-8 and an e-pad together with a hi-hat conversion module will do the trick.

Angr77
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

cutaway79

Alright, today is the first chance I've had to get everything set up.  Now... Does anybody know how to get the Trapkat to trigger the 2box module?  Both pieces are plugged in and powered on.  I have a brand new MIDI cable coming out of the Kat, and into the module.  I've got my headphones plugged in, and the volume up on the 2box.  When I hit the trigger buttons on the module, I hear the drum sounds, so I know the phones are working...  But what am I missing as far as getting the Trapkat to trigger it?

cutaway79

Quote from: ANGR77 on December 15, 2016, 05:17:21 AM
If not goIng for a hi-hat stand conversion connected to the 2box..a Roland Fd-8 and an e-pad together with a hi-hat conversion module will do the trick.

Angr77

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, if the hihat pedal with the Trapkat doesn't work.