News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Switching from Roland to 2box

Started by jeff42, January 08, 2015, 02:53:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

Quote from: rush1234 on January 15, 2015, 03:08:36 PM
Hello Jman

Thnks for the Link  i hope its not to hard to do . are there hihats (non 2box) that  works without a mod  or is this one to focus on...
Almost any electronic cymbal that you can put on a HH stand works, Roland CY-5, CY-8 are a couple.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

rush1234

now its clear to me .thnks Jman!! after i done this mod , do i need something to do in the 2box ?
another cymbal type etc ?

yes i have the  Stealth mod from you , we have to do some work on the pedal  you already knew what the problem is ..))

Jman

Quote from: rush1234 on January 15, 2015, 08:54:49 PM
now its clear to me .thnks Jman!! after i done this mod , do i need something to do in the 2box ?
another cymbal type etc ?

yes i have the  Stealth mod from you , we have to do some work on the pedal  you already knew what the problem is ..))
You may have to increase the Sensitivity setting in the trigger parameters of the module and turn the dial on my box all the way to the right/clockwise. I've never tried a Yamaha cymbal myself. But at least a couple people have and say it works:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1010.0.html

rush1234

Thnkz Jman  i know now a lot more . after i did manage to fit the trigger under the pedal
maybe going for the same hihat as yours .i friend of my is verry handy and owns a 2box to . is going to do the job we order everything we need the same time .)) the only thing i worried abouth is the sticknoice but maybe some tape on it ? i am going to buy the yamaha cymbals and use them as normal cymbals . i read they work out of the box .

jeff42

well tonight after loading up some sounds from SD2 through reaper+SDSE (I need to figure out how all these work too) I finally had some time to hook the 2box up to the band practice PA and check out the SD2 sounds and the stock sounds. Our full PA is packed away for the gigs this weekend so I am using our practice one, small mixer and smaller QSC speakers... The 2box is sounding pretty dull compared to the my td-12. Honestly... I fiddled around with the mixer but it still isn't blowing me away yet. I guess I need to dive deeper into this thing to get what I want out of it. It doesn't seem like it has a very strong signal. I had to put the volume knob at 3 o'clock to get something decent. Am I missing something? and anyway to have the stock samples brighten up a bit?

espen

Hi Jeff,

This is what I wrote more than a year ago:
"I have discovered that there is some low-mid range muddiness and/or boxiness in the module's sound processing. So, I decreased 3-6 dB from 400-500 Hz area and I think the samples sound better to my ears at least. Even the vst sounds I've made are better that way IMO."

Try that if it helps you.

jeff42

low-mid range muddiness is what I am hearing... Nowhere near as "bright" as I think they should be.

forgive me if this is a dumb question- can you do this through the module? I am still getting used to the layout of the display

Travis182

I know someone a fair while ago had this very same issue when trying to use his mixer!! I can't remember what the exact fault was but it might be worth having a look through older posts. Someone definitely had the same issue though and once they figured it out it sorted there problem.

jeff42

Thanks, I have been doing searches on this site and elsewhere this morning. Came up with a few things to try. honestly I am getting frustrated with the whole thing and I ended up spending more money than expected (or wanted to) and not getting the results others have.

Hopefully I'll figure something out because I do see the potential here with using 2box at live gigs (we usually do 4-6 gigs per month) but I need something that sounds at least as good or better than my vex'd TD-12 and can be used as such.

The band has stepped up in terms of quality of gigs we are playing so I want to step up with the quality of drum sounds I am using. Hopefully I can wrap my head around all of this soon. I like the idea of VST and triggering samples from the 2box, I just need to figure out what I'm missing here before I just give up and sell it all back.

Jman

Quote from: jeff42 on January 21, 2015, 03:04:19 PM
low-mid range muddiness is what I am hearing... Nowhere near as "bright" as I think they should be.

forgive me if this is a dumb question- can you do this through the module? I am still getting used to the layout of the display
Page 38 of the manual explains how to adjust frequencies in the Drumit Five 3 band Kit EQ. The manual (PDF) is on the 2Box card in the module.

jeff42

thanks Jman. I found it and fiddled with it a bit on my lunch break today (working just a few miles from home is a good thing)

I didn't have a ton of time but It's getting there.... (at least I hope so)  Any other tips to get some more brightness out of the sounds especially the snare?

Hopefully I'll have some more time to actually learn Superior drummer 2.0 cuz I have no idea how to use it. The only thing I did so far was render out some preset kits like the avatar kit and the Ezdrummer kit

Jman

For those that have plenty of inputs on the Mixer the capability of running 8 individual outs from the 2Box module is great. 1st of all the sound is much different than just running the Master Outs with effects, EQ, etc. You get a nice clean sound with individual outs and a huge amount of control over the sound at FOH.
Here is one thread with discussion on using all 8 individual outs: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1473.0.html

jeff42

what we usually do as a live band with my TD-12 is one out to the board because sometimes our singer has to run sound for stage... When we have a dedicated sound man I do 4 outs. kick, snare, toms, cymbals/HH. I will need to do the same with the 2box.

I will try the individual outs and see the sound difference. One thing I don't want to have to do is use another mixer for the kit and the one we use when we don't have a sound man doesnt have enough available channels.

jeff42

OK here is my report from tonight:  I set everything to output through output 3....

Sounds totally different now! In a good way. Everything is brighter, cleaner sounding plus there is way more volume.It is MORE like I was expecting...

So Why does out 1 & 2 sound so much quieter and kind of muddy?

Oh.. and I also realized I printed out the OLD manual...ugh

fulrmr

Good to know you found a quick fix. The TD-12 is nowhere near the beast the 2Box is even Vex'd. It's also not anything like Roland gear. You have to forget almost everything you know about edrums if you learned on Roland modules. You need to treat it like mic'd acoustics when it comes to a PA. Build your kits dry then mix appropriately at the console for the venue. The EQ and gain suggestions are spot on. Also once you build the dry kit that you like and you find the sweet spot for the PA....then try "rebuilding" it and adding FX and tweaking it in the VST to get variations suited for different applications within your set for different tunes. Just a word of warning though.....unless your "practice" PA is identical to your Main PA...these kits will still sound a bit different and will need some tweaking at every venue. Best to write down your settings for each gig so you can quickly refer back to them when you revisit them or play at a similar venue.