News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SD CARD HELP

Started by redstar299, October 18, 2011, 09:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

Thanks for the KUDOS Rockstar  :-[
I just wanted to bring up one point before bowing out of this thread. The origianl poster here started this thread about SD Card help with the card extender mod that he did .... so, when Roel made the comment he did on the previous page .... well, that is in context with the original thread.  I mean, SD Cards and the extender mod is the subject of the thread, Right?
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

signature

I modified my Toyota and added larger rims....?

digitalDrummer

Quote from: Jman on February 16, 2012, 09:35:44 PM
12GB??  :o That is what I said! .... since you won't find many standard cards that size, pretty rare ... that's why I asked about a compressed format .... and got a nod.... but not an official release date or anything.... I know they are looking at it though... otherwise it wouldn't have come up in the conversation.
I think Scott from Hand in Hand was alluding to this a while ago when he said:

Hey guys

Just wanted to give you an update on this. 2box will be implementing 3 time lossless compression in a future OS update. So a 30MB file will become 10MB, which i believe will take about 10 seconds to download in to the Unit. Also in effect this will give you three times the storage to play around with  :)

Thanks
Scott

fishmonkey

Quote from: digitalDrummer on February 18, 2012, 12:05:17 AM
I think Scott for Hand in Hand was alluding to this a while ago when he said:

Hey guys

Just wanted to give you an update on this. 2box will be implementing 3 time lossless compression in a future OS update. So a 30MB file will become 10MB, which i believe will take about 10 seconds to download in to the Unit. Also in effect this will give you three times the storage to play around with  :)

Thanks
Scott

i'm not sure how that will be possible, since the best current lossless compression schemes usually manage around 50% compression ratios.

it will also require all the current sounds to be re-processed with the new compression scheme, unless the module will handle different schemes on the fly. maybe they will implement the recompression in the editor?

Slap the drummer

Quote from: GenuineHuman on February 16, 2012, 08:29:25 PM
With all the respect, 2Box drum module was designed for 4 GB and that's a feature. Drum module works as advertised with 4 GB SD card. There's no need to search for an alibi for modifications. Modify the module, if you want, but it's not fair to push this modification to new users, especially if they are asking for out of the box features and specifications, not to mention that this modification kills one of the features. It leaves an impression that this product is half-done and that next to the module you have to buy some 4 extension cables and 7 SD cards hoping one of them will work.

Thanks for letting me vent. Bad hair day ... or something

I don't think anybody is "pushing" anything.  It's just a fact that if you make a little extra effort you can
get some extra memory, and this opens the door to some really worthwhile gains.

I for one am really glad to have found out about it.

:patbat2box:

Slap the drummer

Quote from: digitalDrummer on February 18, 2012, 12:05:17 AM
I think Scott from Hand in Hand was alluding to this a while ago when he said:

Hey guys

Thanks
Scott

I wonder though about latency issues.  I think I'm right in saying that FLAC files (for eg) need to
be decompressed on the fly for playback.  I assume that means a buffer zone.  But a buffer zone
won't work on a drum kit!

Anybody got the real technical facts?