News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Need to rant!!!

Started by Evy, August 11, 2010, 09:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evy

I just responded to a post on the vdrum forum.  One of the guys is doing an opinion poll comparing the 2Box to the Yamaha DTX550...yes the 550 not the 950.
WTF???!!!!!????
I've had both, there is no comparison.  The Dtx550 is a toy, the 2Box is for discerning players.
IMO to compare them is sacraligious!!!  Ok I'm done.

puttenvr

Evy

puttenvr

But Yamaha has a better logo
(and nicer Australian girls with t-shirts)

drumsonly2002

Yamaha has the Xtreme 2 kit, that I own. I then bought DDrum SE4 = much better. Saving for Drumit 5 kit so I can join the club. Thus Drumit must be better than Yamaha as DDrum 4 certainly is.

puttenvr

roel

Quote from: drumsonly2002 on August 28, 2010, 10:09:59 PM
Yamaha has the Xtreme 2 kit, that I own. I then bought DDrum SE4 = much better. Saving for Drumit 5 kit so I can join the club. Thus Drumit must be better than Yamaha as DDrum 4 certainly is.

2box is the best electronic drumkit, even better than a roland td 20 kit.

puttenvr

Evy

Hurry up and join this exclusive club drumsonly2002!!  Is it better than TD20?  I don't know, haven't really tried the 20, but the price certainly is!!

Baby Samus

The TD-20 costs £4,500 compared to £1599 for the 2Box, so its not really fair to compare them.  I wouldn't say the 2Box is better, just different.  For instance the TD-20 (and most Roland modules) have many features that the 2Box does not have (positional sensing, abiltiy to create drumkit chains, ambience and effects, compression, equaliser etc, sequencer, etc), so in some ways it is a far more advanced piece of equipment.

The main problem that comes up time and time again with v-drums is that the COSM system just doesn't seem to make realistic sounding accoustic drums.  They stick out like a sore thumb in music, you can recognise them straight away.  I've seen tons of music DVD's where the drummer is using v-drums, and you can always tell, and it always sounds jarring.  The 2Box doesn't have this issue because it is using samples of real drums rather than having an algorithm to emulate them.  Also v-drums are closed system, you can't really change whats in the module.  With 2Box you can.

So it really comes down to your needs.  I had v-drums before and they do some cool things, but what is missing is the 'real' sound of accoustic drums.  The 2Box solves this issue, and personally thats what I wanted, a module that had really strong accoustic sounds.  I don't need fancy effects or sequencing on board, I just wanted an e-kit that could sound like an accoustic on stage and at home, and still allow me to use my own sounds without the need for a PC or laptop.

puttenvr

QuoteSo it really comes down to your needs.
Very true, but when you plus and minus

2box                                       vdrums
good sounds                              lame sounds
good dynamics                           lame dynamics
good sensitivity                          lame sensitivity (the 2 latter cause machine gunning)
no sequencer                             sequencer
can play song files                      only td-9 can play song files
limited sound control                   EQ (incl mic/room settings, drumhead, shell type, which are all EQ settings)
no kit chains                              kit chains
no optimal ride triggering              good ride
open system                              closed system
no pos. sensing (at this time)        pos. sensing
1 effect (at this time)                  effects, room settings (which are fx)
orange                                      sometimes in black

Baby Samus

Quote from: puttenvr on August 31, 2010, 05:14:40 AM
Very true, but when you plus and minus

2box                                       vdrums
good sounds                              lame sounds
good dynamics                           lame dynamics
good sensitivity                          lame sensitivity (the 2 latter cause machine gunning)
no sequencer                             sequencer
can play song files                      only td-9 can play song files
limited sound control                   EQ (incl mic/room settings, drumhead, shell type, which are all EQ settings)
no kit chains                              kit chains
no optimal ride triggering              good ride
open system                              closed system
no pos. sensing (at this time)        pos. sensing
1 effect (at this time)                  effects, room settings (which are fx)
orange                                      sometimes in black

I don't agree.  The sensitivity of v-drums is fine (machine gunning is more down to the way COSM works and there is an upgrade module for the TD-20 that fixes it I think), there are plenty of good sounds, and it has tons of features which the 2Box does not have.  For instance instant record, and ability to replay that recording instantly and play over it - very handy.  Or Instrument accompaniment seperate from the main kit sounds. The hardware is also better on the TD-20.  Its also far easier to get spares, drum mappings for most PC software support v-drums out of the box, I could go on.

The win for the 2Box is those lovely accoustic samples, where COSM just can't compete.  I can see why many drummers would go for v-drums over other systems, I just can't stomach the fake accoustic sounds!  So imo its still a matter of choice - the 2Box isn't for everone and I can see why many drummers would go for v-drums over other systems being a previous owner.

roel

Quote from: Baby Samus on September 01, 2010, 04:22:21 AM
I don't agree.  The sensitivity of v-drums is fine (machine gunning is more down to the way COSM works and there is an upgrade module for the TD-20 that fixes it I think), there are plenty of good sounds, and it has tons of features which the 2Box does not have.  For instance instant record, and ability to replay that recording instantly and play over it - very handy.  Or Instrument accompaniment seperate from the main kit sounds. The hardware is also better on the TD-20.  Its also far easier to get spares, drum mappings for most PC software support v-drums out of the box, I could go on.

The win for the 2Box is those lovely accoustic samples, where COSM just can't compete.  I can see why many drummers would go for v-drums over other systems, I just can't stomach the fake accoustic sounds!  So imo its still a matter of choice - the 2Box isn't for everone and I can see why many drummers would go for v-drums over other systems being a previous owner.

those roland v-drums have some cool kits too like melodies, and those electronic kits ect... thats what I miss in my 2box module. But as you said for accoustic samples the 2box module is much better

Evy

Quote from: roel on September 01, 2010, 05:27:15 PM
those roland v-drums have some cool kits too like melodies, and those electronic kits ect... thats what I miss in my 2box module. But as you said for accoustic samples the 2box module is much better

I had a TD9KX at one point and there were just too many sounds that I would never use.  Industrial kit with a bunch of drills and crap?  Really?  I even  tried the DTX550 and they had a bunch of car horns and screeching..who would use that?  Some of the electric stuff is ok to have but again, in a simple practice set up, would never dial it in.  That really is what sets the 2box apart, sit down to a real kit sound/feel and play, and no novelty bullshit.

p929

I was about to buy a TD20KX, but its price made me think for a while, and fortunately during that 'thinking' time, I found comments regarding the realistic feel and sound of 2box. Like many others here, I ordered it without trying it out in a store (there wasn't any!). Long story short, I received it couple of months ago and I like it. I still having issues, and I had to replace the stands. It's not perfect but still improving. and I like the fact that software updates are free, not like with the TD20, for which you have to buy the expansion pack.

Now I think I took the right decision, i.e. choosing 2box over Roland or Yamaha. They have slick features but I prefered going for 'real' sounds. I just wanted to feel like I was playing an acoustic kit.  I just tuned up 1 kit as I really liked and that's all I use. Just like if I have my own acoustic drum at home, but without disturbing my neighbors.