recording midi from 2 box brain and listen back the module sounds not using vst?

Started by cloudkicker, July 17, 2016, 10:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cloudkicker

Hello folks,

I want to use my 2 box module for recording drums with midi. Is it possible tracking the midi drums with your module sounds and when recorded the midi listen to your recorded performance not using an vst drum library but only listen back your module sound? Is that possible? For the lowest latency possible i will go that route. How can I connectit the best way? Do I have to use midi in and midi out? Thanks!

welshsteve

Yes it's possible. You'd need to have a midi out of the sequencer to the in of the module. Audio wise you'd need to mix the module with the computer/seqencer, but I assume you already know this.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

cloudkicker

So for example i use my midi cakewalk umg-1 usb to the midi in of my 2box brain en the usb in the pc? I always used the midi out of my module. Is this setup correct?

welshsteve

Not sure about USB to midi from the computer to the module, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'd need two of them cables so you don't have to keep unplugging and replugging to listen back.

edtc

Quote from: welshsteve on July 18, 2016, 11:05:24 AM
Not sure about USB to midi from the computer to the module, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. You'd need two of them cables so you don't have to keep unplugging and replugging to listen back.

The USB port on the module is only for accessing the SD card inside the module to add sounds and manage kits ...  There is no MIDI support ...

You have to plug the MIDI in/out in a MIDI interface to do what you want ...

welshsteve

Yes I am aware of that, but I think he's using a USB to Midi cable. Midi out of the module to the USB in of the computer. There's no reason why if plugged the other way around, it would play back fine. So I said best get another one of those cable so you don't have to keep unplugging and replugging to record/listen back.

cloudkicker

You mean I have to get two of the umg-1 cakewalk? One for the midi out and one for the midi in? On mine there are 2 connections that says connect to midi in and the other connect to midi out. So I plug both in correctly and in the computer's usb? Then I'm set? This one i'm using: http://www.roland.com/products/um-1g/

welshsteve

Oh yeah, connect midi out of brain to in on interface and vice versa. That should be it! That's what I do anyways without any messing about. You might wanna turn the thru off on cakewalk channel though as you might have notes coming back during recording which is horrible to hear.

cloudkicker

Okay will try! By interface you mean computer not my usb soundcard right?:) Thanks for the help!:)

edtc

ok boys , lets be logic for a minute ... :)

- you need  ONE  USB/MIDI cable or a USB audio/midi interface or anything that will "interface" your computer to your MIDI outboard gear via the 5pin  DIN socket .   

- All of them have a midi IN and a midi OUT  ...  so you just connect the OUT from module to the IN of the interface (for recording ), and the OUT of the interface to the IN of the module so you can playback ...

- You dont need to unplug anything between rec and play ... 
Just be carefull not to have the " MIDI THRU" enabled on the module to avoid MIDI loop ...

that's it ... ;) 

..... by the way cloudkicker , some googling and manual reading arent so painfull ... try to find a tutorial about MIDI basics  ... you ll see it s not rocket science if you just want to record/play or trigger softwares or hardware sounds ...