News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

showcase your kit!

Started by drummer81, December 22, 2010, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murgen

Nice one! How does it feel compared to acoustic?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

mcrackins

Quote from: Murgen on June 01, 2014, 09:50:14 AM
Nice one! How does it feel compared to acoustic?

I've been drumming for about 35 years and I really enjoy them. I definitely prefer the mesh heads over the rubber. It made a tenfold difference in feel. I love the sounds and I haven't even delved into SDSE "yet"
I love the fact that I can practice anytime now or jam with friends via headphones. The biggest game changer for me is recording original music. I loathed programming drums and would eventually get fed up with trying to get the Alesis to sound like a drummer playing the song and just stick with a straight beat.

Now I can just knock off the drum tracks in 5-10 minutes and it's exactly how I want it to sound, and it sounds great without much tweaking in my DAW. It's really inspired my writing, which was in the doldrums for the past few years.

My only knock is the hi-hat sensitivity needs a lot of tweaking and finding the right hat to achieve that. I don't even mind the rubber cymbals...which I thought I would hate.

Can't recommend it enough for other drummers.

Oh and realized when I was re-setting up the kit, that I had the kick drum bar pointing outwards instead of inwards. That has made the stability a bit better and I do notice less bounce back. I'm still going to get the brace bar though. Also moving my counterweight on my beater shaft to the middle  improved the bounce back as well.

Murgen

After a year I started to hate the hihat because of false triggers or random hits. 2Box even send a replacement to test but no cigar.

I can recommend the Zildjian GEN16 solution with Direct Sound Pickups but go for the bronze version straight away. Don't mind about the crashes but a real hihat and ride made a difference for me. I have the nickel 480 box but ordered the bronze ones too.

Great to see another drummer happy about the Orange Monster from Sweden.
--------

hemiboy

Murgen, just curious, when you walked  away from the 2 box hat and cymbals why didn't you just go to real cymbals , period! I looked at the nickel gen 16's when I had my Roland kits and although I only played them a few times at a local guitar center for about 10 to 15 minutes each time . I didn't really  put them thru the paces . I hear a lot of good talked about the new bronzed edition. What am zo missing?

Murgen

Quote from: hemiboy on June 01, 2014, 11:25:44 PM
Murgen, just curious, when you walked  away from the 2 box hat and cymbals why didn't you just go to real cymbals , period! I looked at the nickel gen 16's when I had my Roland kits and although I only played them a few times at a local guitar center for about 10 to 15 minutes each time . I didn't really  put them thru the paces . I hear a lot of good talked about the new bronzed edition. What am zo missing?

Good question! Three reasons: 1. I have a drum cabin that is not 100 % soundproof and the Gen16's are not as loud as real cymbals. 2. The Gen16 module has some settings and options for different sounds and plug into my mixer (direct pickups do not pick up environment sounds) so I can mix them with the 2Box and other instruments in an easy way. 3. Toys for boys, I was very curious about them.

Just a real hihat with a mic is a cheaper solution but in the end I enjoy the Gen's.
--------

fulrmr

First off...I don't gig.(those days are well over) I'm just a hobbyist who love to build and play....and  I take my hobby very seriously. ;) I prefer the samples of the 2Box triggered hats(Love Gen16 Digital Vault series)....however I've never been a rubber cymbal fan. I've had A2E cymbals since my first e-kit. That said...with the control box mod and a nice stand with a good adjustable spring I found the hats much easier to "tune in"....and I could use whatever type of cymbal I wanted....Roland..Yamaha...triggered gen 16..etc.

Now speaking of Gen16....I have plenty of them with DS pickups...and even some triggered one's. I wouldn't trade any of them for the best rubber cymbals on the market. The hats are the best for feel and playability especially if you prefer traditional acoustic hats and cymbals. However as with most of the toys we choose in e-drumming...these are not plug and play. The Access Tool is the key finding the tones you prefer. I like the Nickel...but most will probly prefer the Bronze as, from what I've heard,  they seem to have a warmer more "traditional" tone.

All that said...if ambient noise is an issue...these may not be for you. They are "real" cymbals and have tones to match and albeit much quieter than their traditional counterparts...they still may annoy folks at a midnight practice session.

Personally...Noise is not an issue for me...I'll never go back to rubber e-cymbals. I may try the Buffed Bronze series though. ;)

Murgen

Whispers ... On Julia's unofficial gen16 forum drummers say the new shapes for bronze make the nickel sound very nice and warm as well. Must try ... Will try. :)
--------

Murgen

Here we go! Buffed Bronze came in this week, I had to re-arrange my cymbals setup and ordered an extra DSP and here we go, a nickel and a bronze 18 inch crash, 14 inch hats and the 20 inch ride. Loaded the module with both Simon and Russ' toneshapes and very pleased. At last the crashes sound like real crashes. ;)

I finally start to understand the Gen16 software (it is easy but as an engineer you do not like to read manuals, ;) ) and I made sure both nickel and bronze have on cymbal #3 and #4 the same shapes loaded.

Without the module the bronze version is darker and warmer where the nickel one as expected is more sharp and explosive. Via the module the sound difference is less expressive but I only gave myself 1 hour testing before I wrote this. :)

Best of both worlds in e-World.

No space left by murgenetemplar, on Flickr
--------

roel

What about my setup guys give me your thoughts! Iam thinking about selling my complete 2box drumit 5 setup.
maby someone is interested?

URL=http://s1353.photobucket.com/user/Roeljetten2104/media/IMG_1588_zpsfe54cc44.jpg.html][/URL]

fulrmr

Looks pretty clean. I might would attach the wire looms to the rack bar itself instead of draping them across the the clamps though. :)

Murgen

--------

roel

I have decided to keep it! so its not for sale anymore.

Murgen

--------

puttenvr

But why did you consider it, Roel?
I mean: you and I
are sucha 2Box diehards ....

roel

Quote from: puttenvr on August 29, 2014, 12:11:39 PM
But why did you consider it, Roel?
I mean: you and I
are sucha 2Box diehards ....

Yes that's right, I have 2 electronic kits but I was thinking about buying a acoustic drumset and sell 1 electronic kit.
But I have decided to keep my 2box set, Its better for my neighbours, and I don't like reconstructing my hobby room, it will cost me extra money and Iam still happy with my 2 electronic drums so its a no go.