News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hi-Hat thing

Started by Jovialus, January 22, 2014, 04:20:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jovialus

Hello guys,

Just bought a new 2box and I'm pretty happy with it. Ive got a problem with my hi-hat and I know and read about a lot of problems with it but I cant find a good solution to mine.

My problem is that the stand doesnt really work well. At least, thats what I think the problem is. I've got two problems with it:

First of all I sometimes get double sounds when I'm playing a normal hi-hat rhythym and I open it for a note every now and again.

Second of all whenever I played another beat on my ride or something, I also play with my left foot but every time when I release my foot from the pedal I hear this louder sound of the hi-hats opening (as if I did a quick sweep over the pedal) and I dont want to hear that because that's not whats supposed to be the problem.

I just want to hear TSK TSK TSK TSK and now I hear TSK (hi-hat opening loudly) TSK (hi-hat opening loudly) etc.  For example, in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knH7I_-nzkI You can hear it for a second at 5:20 when he just opens and closes the hi-hat. Theres no sound in between the hitting the pedal with the foot and that's what I want.

I've tried calibrating and stuff but that hasnt seemed to work for me yet..

Any idea's?

Thanks in advance,

Jelmer

Jman

There are many posts about the stock 2Box stand problems. My advice is replace the HH stand with a better one with a stronger spring to start with. That is definitely the place to start.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Murgen

Quote from: Jman on January 22, 2014, 10:33:06 PM
There are many posts about the stock 2Box stand problems. My advice is replace the HH stand with a better one with a stronger spring to start with. That is definitely the place to start.

I underpin this statement. The design is good, in reality getting it set up the way you want is very hard. I dropped the hihat and use the GEN16 hats instead. For me best of both worlds.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

fulrmr

Quote from: Murgen on January 23, 2014, 05:34:28 AM
I underpin this statement. The design is good, in reality getting it set up the way you want is very hard. I dropped the hihat and use the GEN16 hats instead. For me best of both worlds.

Hmm..although I use Gen16 hats now too....I never had any problem getting my hats dialed in with my DW remote....I just hated the way they felt. Once I did the HH control box mod....everything functioned superbly. You can either make the mod yourself from the stock hat(directions found in another thread) and use almost any cymbal pad you like (Yamaha/Roland/DIY..etc) for your hat ...or you can buy a pre-made control box from Jman. Whatever you decide...Jman's suggestion for a better stand with a stronger adjustable spring is where I would start too. :)

fishmonkey

yep, a better stand is a good idea.

the position of the hihat is transmitted using a continuous stream of MIDI messages when the pedal is moving. so for fine, fast hihat work, a more responsive stand with a stronger adjustable spring makes a big difference.