News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

SDSE converted sounds vs stock

Started by StudioG4, March 09, 2016, 05:09:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioG4

I think this may have been discussed before in some manner but all of my VST sounds, from BFD3 and SD2 etc., are not as bright and punchy as the stock sounds. Am I doing something wrong? Best way to describe it is the toms sound like acoustic toms with a cloth draped over the head (no/minimal stick attack sound). I am sending individual outs to my mixer but if I EQ for the stock sounds then the converted sounds suffer and vice versa.
The converted files sound fine (as well as the stock sounds) when I listen to them on my desktop through DKit manager but obviously the 2box is creating the variation in the EQ. Can anything be done for this? I'm thinking that maybe the solution is to compensate for this in the SDSE/Reaper conversion process.
Any thoughts?
Tony G

StudioG4

I just saw this "Drum-Tec Pro Series and Roland TD-30 triggering Toontrack Superior Drummer 2.0" on the Superior drummer facebook page https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkNbnkTH4g8. The sound of these samples are much brighter and punchy than my SDSE converted sounds that I have in the 2box.
Does anyone else have this same condition? Maybe I'm doing something wrong in the conversion but as I said previously, the stock 2box samples are much more refined sounding with more stick attack whereas my converted samples just don't compare.
opinions/suggestions?
Thanks.
Tony G

puttenvr

This problem still has not been solved
I listened to a lot of VST sounds on my computer and they all are perfect
As soon as I load them into my 2box the focus and attack are missing
(and the stock sounds always win the price)
How is that possible?

Coda

I experimented with this some time last year, but I made sure to use the same headphones on the kit and on the computer.
Conclusion I reached was that the internal circuitry on the 2box is affecting the EQ, especially when listening through the headphones socket with headphone level out.
I wanted to do another experiment with 5-6 channels direct to my mixing desk, and then the same phones from the desk, but I have no time for this because of final exams in a couple weeks (I even stopped music related activities at church temporarily its that serious :)), because I got the impression that the EQ and quality is different from the channel direct outs than the headphone outs on the module. Still, gotta test it...

StudioG4

Thanks guys, you confirm my findings. It may(probably) be eq related but still doesn't explain the differences between the SDSE converted samples and the stock. I'm guessing that something is basically different in the initial processing between the two.

Tony G

edtc

Quote from: StudioG4 on April 22, 2016, 02:55:07 PM
Thanks guys, you confirm my findings. It may(probably) be eq related but still doesn't explain the differences between the SDSE converted samples and the stock. I'm guessing that something is basically different in the initial processing between the two.

Tony G

maybe they know this fact , and they make a mastering before , enhancing the frequencies lost by the 2BOX D/A conversion .... 

It would be nice to have a feedback on this from the 2box crew ...

atldoc

I've converted sounds too from SD 2.0 via SDSE and yes its cool....but honestly it's like putting a condom on those beautiful SD sounds. In the end my 2box is really become a midi i/o for my mac running SD. Just sayin...