News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Orchestral Percussion

Started by ScottSlay, May 28, 2014, 08:07:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottSlay

I have had my set for about 3 months now and have struggled to no avail to find orchestral percussion files to download.  I play for my church as well as giving lessons to our youth.  The versatility is what attracted me to 2Box.  However, being in a church setting, although we are fairly progressive in our music, we still have some of the old standards that simply do not stand for "drumming" but rather a more percussionistic approach.  I would like to find files for chimes, timpani, concert bass (although I have found a few files that might work here).  Any suggestions on where to look are certainly appreciated.  Also, can someone tell me how to set my cymbals up for a sustained cymbal roll (such as would be found in an orchestral setting)?  I can hear the individual hits regardless of which cymbal file I pull and settings I try to apply.

fulrmr

Have you looked at the Toontrack Latin EZX?

I know it's not "orchestral"...but it does fit with traditional worship pieces.

Jman

Quote from: ScottSlay on May 28, 2014, 08:07:15 PM
I have had my set for about 3 months now and have struggled to no avail to find orchestral percussion files to download.  I play for my church as well as giving lessons to our youth.  The versatility is what attracted me to 2Box.  However, being in a church setting, although we are fairly progressive in our music, we still have some of the old standards that simply do not stand for "drumming" but rather a more percussionistic approach.  I would like to find files for chimes, timpani, concert bass (although I have found a few files that might work here).  Any suggestions on where to look are certainly appreciated.  Also, can someone tell me how to set my cymbals up for a sustained cymbal roll (such as would be found in an orchestral setting)?  I can hear the individual hits regardless of which cymbal file I pull and settings I try to apply.
So, the beauty of the 2Box module is that is it an open sound source module, meaning you can load it with new sounds. Unfortunately there isn't much as far as Orchestral percussion in the module. There are VST programs out there that you could build dsnds from, one example is BFD Orchestral expansion pack:
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=213  That is not a huge price to pay if you already have BFD to add the expansion pack to. Definitely expensive if you had to purchase BFD2 plus the expansion pack just to get a few orchestral instruments.
Similarly with cymbal crescendos some of the VST drum samples include crescendo hits as part of the articulation ...... might seem like cheating, but I have built myself a handful of those cymbal crescendo dsnds ....... One tap of the cymbal and a beautiful crescendo happens.  :)
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/