News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

2Box brain, redbox triggers and acoustic drums

Started by snydley, July 01, 2012, 05:00:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snydley

I've had a Drummit 5 kit for some time now and love it, but now I want to try using the brain and triggering it with triggers on my dW kit. I have a few questions, and appreciate any help you might offer.
1. First off, will the ddrum triggers work on the 2Box brain and will they trigger as well as the 2Box "drums"?
2. Are they the best choice or are there better options for triggers?
3. If they are the best choice can I get by with the Red Shot triggers, or do the ddrum Acoustic triggers work better? I like the price of the Red Shot triggers, but I don't like the idea of having to remove a drum lug, and retuning each drum every time I set up and tear down.
4. Can you get the Acoustic triggers with 1/4" jacks instead of XLRs?
5. Will the 2box cable work with the triggers withough having to rewire them,(rewiring the jacks)?
6. Will I need to replace my heads with mesh heads?
7. If I can use my dW heads do I need to dampen them so the acoustic drums sounds aren't being heard along with the 2Box sounds?
I appreciate any help offered. I have no experience with triggers and acoustic drums and I want to know what I'm getting into before I fork over the cash. I play in a weekend bar band and will be using this setup most every weekend so it has to be reliable and hold up. So far I've been using the Drummit 5 MkII , with changes to the original hardware,(I use tripod stands for the toms, and a free standing "stand" for the kick). I like the 2box sounds, but even after more than a year of playing the electronic pads, I still prefer the "feel" of acoustic drums. I'd like to have the best of both worlds in my kit, my dW acoustic kit with 2Box sounds.
Thanks,
Snyde

digitalDrummer

digitalDrummer reviewed most of the external triggers on the market. ddrum and ddt were among the best and both work perfectly with 2box. In fact all the triggers we tested appear to trigger well - with the exception of the Yamaha and Roland versions. Check our our review (July 2010) - it's free.

snydley

Thanks for the help!! I couldn't find a July 2012 review, but found the July 2010 review, was this the one you were talking about? The latest edition I found on your website was May 2012. The July 2010 review was very helpful and informative!
Thanks,
Snyde

digitalDrummer

Yes, 2010 - sorry for leading you on a wild goose chase. The next issue comes out in August.
By the way, 2box is meant to be launching its own external triggers soon. Also, there's new ddt version that's smaller than the originals, triggers beautifully and has a stereo jack.
As for whether you need to switch to mesh: I have tried ddrum triggers with acoustic heads and they were shocking. Anyway, what's the point of the acoustic sound if you're using a triggered sound? Personally, I prefer a near-silent drum on stage.

snydley

Quote from: digitalDrummer on July 02, 2012, 07:26:30 AM
Yes, 2010 - sorry for leading you on a wild goose chase. The next issue comes out in August.

No problem, I figured that was the case.

QuoteBy the way, 2box is meant to be launching its own external triggers soon. Also, there's new ddt version that's smaller than the originals, triggers beautifully and has a stereo jack.

Crap, wouldn't ya know it. I ordered a 5 piece set from Billy Blast yesterday. 5 external triggers with chords for $150. seemed like a good deal to me.

QuoteAs for whether you need to switch to mesh: I have tried ddrum triggers with acoustic heads and they were shocking. Anyway, what's the point of the acoustic sound if you're using a triggered sound? Personally, I prefer a near-silent drum on stage.

Actually I don't want to use mesh heads, if I can help it, so I can take the triggers off and use my dW kit acoustically if I want.  If it's not gonna work well that way, then I have a 5 piece Yamaha set I can devote solely to an e-drum set and dampen the drums with foam or something. Also, I don't totally like my drum sound coming from behind and to the side of me,(where my monitors are. I was hoping the combination of acoustic sound coming from the drums, and the mylar heads,(what I'm used to), will make it "feel" more like normal drums to me.
Thanks,
Snyde

cymbalism

The Red Shots are the same trigger minus the metal housing and will work great with the 2Box. The Pintech triggers use a 1/4".