News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Audio-midi interface

Started by logihack, January 10, 2013, 06:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

logihack

Hello!
Im an apple user on macbook black 2008:
snow leopard 10.6.8
2.4 dual core
4 gb ram
80gb ssd
I sold my little echo audiofire2 and now i need something with more outputs. At least 4, but 6 or 8 would perfect.
My budget is 300â,¬, and really dont know what will be the best buy for my needs.
Im between:
Digidesign mbox2 pro... Its older firewire unit, so i should be fine with that one
Echo audiofire 4... Good experience with af2
Native instruments audio 6...some say its low latency, but usb
Focusrite scarlett 8i/6...usb
Presonus 44l...usb
M-audio fast track ultra...usb
Im just want something stable with low latency, for playing live...

fishmonkey

from what i've read the older mboxes are pretty crappy.

when you say "playing live" what do you mean exactly?

logihack

Yeah, ive also read  about problems with mboxes, but i think its about mboxes on usb connection, not firewire...
Playing live=playing concerts ;)

fishmonkey

yes, but playing what and how. what does the interface need to do for you exactly?

logihack

Hehe...i just want to play drums  ::)
So i have 2box module(drums), macbook black, superior drummer and addictive drums... In general i know how things works, but need someone who who may had any experiences with those audio interfaces...with that config+af2 ive played concerts, triggering ad, but i need more outputs...thats all ;)

edtc

hello

if you have PCMCIA or EXPRESSCARD on your laptop , take a look at the RME multiface serie...  you can find some second hand for abour 2/300 â,¬ ...

you can easily achieve 64 or 32 sample .... and it s 8 I/O balanced with MIDI I/O

edtc

also RME babyface has 4 outputs .... 

logihack

i like rme a lot, but its out of my range right now  :'( ...and yes, i would be happy with stable 64 sample...i know that 32 is better and easily achievable with rme gear, but i think 64 sample is good enough for almost every ears  :D ...anyway i found rme fireface 400 for 400eur, here on "local ebay" ...weeeell i must think over about all of this

fishmonkey

RME are definitely worth the price. excellent hardware and drivers, and the most flexible software mixer.

edtc

Quote from: logihack on January 10, 2013, 02:34:57 PM
  i found rme fireface 400 for 400eur, here on "local ebay" ...weeeell i must think over about all of this

RME are more than rock solid....   and a Fireface wont lose so much value compared to "plastic consumer" models from M audio or focusrite ....  In 3 years you'll perhaps loose 50â,¬ if you resell it...

search better , it s possible to get FF400 for around 350â,¬ on ebay ... just 50 more than your actual budget ... also FF400 is bus powered ... really handy on stage ... 

logihack

yes i know i cant go wrong with rme...ive had fireface uc once, but than i thought i wont need it anymore and i sell it...but now im reading about m audio 610 and it seems that run smooth on apple system and the latency is in the range of rme babyface(2-3 m/s) ...maybe i will try with cheaper one first