News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Removing the sensor from a 2Box hi hat...and still using the hi hat?!

Started by peanutismint, November 02, 2014, 07:52:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peanutismint

So here's a Q for the likes of Manfred and Jman...

I managed to get ahold of a second hand 2Box hihat for a great price, but I still love my current hi hat... I do, however, need a second crash cymbal...

Could I feasibly remove the hall sensor part from my 2Box hat, use it to make a separate pedal sensor box like Jman/Manfred's, and use that with my current 1-zone hihat, but then also still use the 2Box hi hat as a different cymbal trigger?! Or is that getting too difficult?!!

edtc

I dont have a 2 box hi hat , but i think you can do it ... i guess you ll just have to rewire the sensor to the jack plug ... then it will act as a 2zone cymbal .

the only problem is to find something to attach it to a  cymbal stand, as the hole is smaller than a regular cymbal ... 

geo

Depends how much you remove to get the hall sensor. The edge sensor is on the same PCB (see http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,897.0.html), so if you take the whole lot, you'll need to wire your hihat to be a one zone cymbal and then wire your one zone cymbal to be a hihat. The things we do for love...

hemiboy

Sounds like a lot of work to get a single zone cymbal. Why not buy some 2 box cymbal  triggers from stealthdrums.com (Jman on this forum) and trigger and dampen some cheap acoustic cymbals like I did, 3 zone and work perfectly!

peanutismint

I agree it does sound like a lot of work, I was just curious to know if it were possible. It's all the more likely I'll just keep using the 2Box hats as intended and buy another cheap 2-zone cymbal for my second crash.

edtc

Quote from: geo on November 04, 2014, 11:28:45 AM
Depends how much you remove to get the hall sensor. The edge sensor is on the same PCB (see http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,897.0.html), so if you take the whole lot, you'll need to wire your hihat to be a one zone cymbal and then wire your one zone cymbal to be a hihat. The things we do for love...

it s not true ... the edge sensor is not on the pcb , just like other 2 box cymbals ... little teeth all around the edge making contact with the body of the cymbal ...

if you wire everything to a jack plug it should be fine and you ll get 2 zones ...