News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Acoustic noise

Started by p929, April 11, 2010, 09:41:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p929

Hi everyone,

I'm still waiting for my set (it's supposed to arrived 1 month ago...).

Anyway, now I'm wondering how is the acoustic noise for the Drumit 5. As far as I've read, its meshed pads are less nosier than roland's, but it seems that it still quite noisy (especially the kick pad). Well, my neighbors are not that picky about noise, but here in Zurich the quieter the better, so now I'm a little bit concerned about this issue.

On the other hand, I saw a video in youtube where a dude says that playing with aluminium ahead sticks is recommendable for e-drums, how true is that?, I never wanted to try them in my acoustic set because I thought it'll break my heads quite fast. Has sb use them for playing the 2box?, does that modify the acoustic noise (increase or decrease)?

thx,

ferney 

fishmonkey

the snare and tom heads are very quiet. of course there is more noise if you play on the rims, but that's unavoidable really.

the kick drum is definitely the loudest part of the kit, but you can work around it by turning the gain up and playing it softer if you want to be really quiet (or you could remove the hard foam, as somebody else on the forum has done).

p929

Hi fishmonkey, thx for ur reply, it helps me to feel more relaxed about that.

Quote from: fishmonkey
the snare and tom heads are very quiet. of course there is more noise if you play on the rims, but that's unavoidable really.

How about cymbals?, are they as quiet as heads? - mainly the HH

Quote from: fishmonkey
the kick drum is definitely the loudest part of the kit, but you can work around it by turning the gain up and playing it softer if you want to be really quiet (or you could remove the hard foam, as somebody else on the forum has done).

Yep, I read that trick and most probably i'll follow it, but is it recommendable to remove that foam?, i mean, if it's there is for some functional reason, doesn't it?

once again thx for your feed back

fishmonkey

being more solid, the cymbals are louder than the heads.

i would think that removing the hard foam would make it easier to damage the kick drum head if you play hard.

Manfred

Quote from: p929 on April 11, 2010, 12:01:09 PM
How about cymbals?, are they as quiet as heads? - mainly the HH

In my opinion the cymbals are a little bit more noisy than the kick drum. Especially if you hit the crash like you would do with an acoustic cymbal or if you play the edge of the hihat. If you hit the cymbal only with the tip of the stick there is less noise of course. 

But thats just my opinion. Maybe others have a different perception of the acoustic noise.

Greets, Manfred

fishmonkey

actually i play mostly with closed headphones, so my perception of the noise is a bit skewed...