News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Where Are The Sounds? Part 2

Started by Slap the drummer, October 23, 2010, 01:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slap the drummer

Calling anybody who knows what other software packages would be compatible with the Drumit 5....

If I'm disappointed with anything about the kit, it's the range of sounds available at the moment.  To be honest, from the descriptions of all the "open box" nature of the brain, etc etc, I thought I'd be knee deep in sounds to choose from.  I'm not complaining - but I am thinking if I wait for something free from 2box, I'll be waiting some time.  And I'm aging as we speak!!

I'd especially like to get a hihat sound I'd really like, and just basically more acoustic sounds of diferent kits.

So my question is - if I was going to actually shell out for some more samples, what am I looking for??
I've been googling and I don't really understand what a lot of the software packages actually do (Superior Drummer, Native Instruments, BigFishAudio).

Can these make samples like the native 2box ".dsnd" files which I can just load onto the brain???  (anything to do with MIDI is probably over my head0.

If anybody could help me move in the right direction I would really appreciate it.  Think of me as a dunce, so please keep it simple.

Cheers,
Slap

fishmonkey

there at lots of great drum samples out there, unfortunately it's not particularly straightforward to convert them into dsound files for the Drumit 5, especially if you are not tech savvy...

i can only guess that either 2Box is planning to produce more sounds, or is hoping that other sample producers will create compatible sample sets.

Manfred

Quote from: fishmonkey on October 23, 2010, 01:31:44 PM

i can only guess that either 2Box is planning to produce more sounds, or is hoping that other sample producers will create compatible sample sets.

2Box doesn't even provide an acceptable sound editor nor the specifications for the files. So the system is far away from being open. If you want to create a new hihat sound you have to buy Louis' DSoundtool. With the 2Box editor it is impossible. With DSoundtool you can do it but it is not easy especially for people who are not interested in things like superior drummer, BFD, Midi and so on.

I can understand slaps disappointment and i feel the same. Currently calling the system "open" is just an advertising gimmick. And as a 2Box user you have to learn waiting. Maybe they get it managed anyday....

Manfred (waiting since more than 10 months now)

fishmonkey

yes, it is very strange that they haven't released a fully functioning editor yet. i don't really understand why.

Slap the drummer

Thanks for your thoughts guys.  It sounds worse than I feared!

The core kit is good, no question in my mind, so I guess time will bring all, as the number of 2box drummers increases - but in my bones I feel later, not sooner.  Perhaps I will just have to learn some of the tech stuff and see if my tired ol' brain holds out.

Fishmonkey - when you said it was possible, can you tell me what was the key tool in the process you were thinking of?  Then I can have a look and see what I wd be getting in to.....  the Dsoundtool that was mentioned?

Thanks again.

Keep on  :drum3:

Evy

I feel the 2box comes loaded with plenty of usable sounds and I feel no need to download from other companies.  EZDrummer has some good sounds but I found trying to record with it less than acceptable, waay too much latency.  Or perhaps our computer was too slow?  Insider says there are more sounds on the way this month or next, so keep yer eyes on their website!

fishmonkey

Quote from: Evy on October 23, 2010, 08:37:27 PM
EZDrummer has some good sounds but I found trying to record with it less than acceptable, waay too much latency.  Or perhaps our computer was too slow?

it is possible to get low enough latency to trigger drums in real time, but you need decent audio/MIDI interfaces and everything set up properly.

Evy

We never got the EZdrummer to a point that I liked and had problems triggering specific sounds to certain pads, in the end used 2Box sounds anyway.  There may have been an issue with the sound card in the computer or available memory..The 2Box on it's own is way better but still not perfect in terms of latency.  We are going midi out and looping it back to get the sounds so it just takes time(in a milisecond kind of way).  Not bad tho, and in my defence I'm an idiot when it comes to this stuff..

Slap the drummer

When it comes to getting sounds onto the 2box without midi.....

I've been looking at the DSoundTool that was mentioned.  It looks very good -- like I expected the Editor to be.  So why havn't 2box made one of those?

So if I understand it correctly - get DSoundTool and then all you need is access to a library of good wav samples......?