News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Attenuation.....

Started by Slap the drummer, January 23, 2012, 03:24:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slap the drummer

Anybody got any ideas on this..... ?

I'm splitting the kick input on the module, so I've got the kick triggered by two
different pads.

Problem is - one of the pads is "hotter" than the other.

How can I balance out the two pads?  Some kind of simple attenuation on one of the
cables would be the obvious solution I guess..... but nobody seems to make such a thing.

Any suggestions much appreciated  :)

GenuineHuman

Place the beater on the hotter pad a bit higher (away from the sensor).

edtc

it should be easy to make a little box with a resistor , (or maybe 2 , one for each channel .... much more straightforward to balance the 2 sounds ...) and place it between pads and module ...

In Manfreds hihat board , he added a pot so you can adjust the trig signal .... we just need to know what kind of pot is needed .....

Slap the drummer

Quote from: GenuineHuman on January 23, 2012, 03:29:36 PM
Place the beater on the hotter pad a bit higher (away from the sensor).

Good idea......  but what I didn't mention was that the louder pad is a 4inch pad that I hit
with my stick  :)

Slap the drummer

Quote from: edtc on January 23, 2012, 03:30:44 PM
it should be easy to make a little box with a resistor , (or maybe 2 , one for each channel .... much more straightforward to balance the 2 sounds ...) and place it between pads and module ...

In Manfreds hihat board , he added a pot so you can adjust the trig signal .... we just need to know what kind of pot is needed .....

Does anybody know what kind of strength the "signal" has travelling down the cables ?

I wonder how long the cable would have to be before that began to have it's own effect..... ?

edtc

Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 24, 2012, 10:50:30 AM
Does anybody know what kind of strength the "signal" has travelling down the cables ?

I wonder how long the cable would have to be before that began to have it's own effect..... ?

HI Slap  ,

I m also using a (pd8") pad as a second "hand" bass drum and have the same level issue... 

what i do for the moment , is using the tom 4 input  and assign the same Kick sound when i need it ... like this i can adjust the level , but also tweak the curve , treshold ... and use another sound if needed ...

About the long cable , it s possible you achieve attenuation with it , but there is also a risk to catch interferencies that could induce false triggering ....

I googled a bit but wasnt able to find the right resistor type to do this ....  but lets wait , Manfred will come back here one day ;)  , and will tell us the reference of a good and sturdy pot to do this....

edtc

.... So , i had some trial today using Manfred's board as an attenuator for plugging the PD8 with the kick pad...  i was able then to balance the 2 pads quite well ...

But i still prefere to waste a Rim input and have a seperate curve and pad type ...

Depending on how your  pad reacts , it could be less ennoying....  but the pot definatly works... ( .....Manfred ???  where are you ? ;) )

Another option i tried last year was to plug the extra pad in my trigger I/O , then by setting the same MIDI note than the kick .... it worked well for the triggering , but this adds 6 msec of latency ... and i m a latency freak !!! so wrong way for me ...

A good option IMO , would be to be able to internally map   tom's  trigger input to be able to controle the kick sound ... but this would require  an OS update ... maybe in the future :)

Jman

A potentiometer would be the ticket. Manfred's potentiometer in his HH box works well... when he is around I'm sure he will let us know what range that one is (mine is already built into my box so I can't look for a part no.) ... just a little box with a jack in and jack out with the potentiometer would be the ticket..

I believe it is a 50K potentiometer?
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Manfred

Hi,

yes, on the hihat board a potentiometer with 50k is used. Works good at least for the pads i tried up to now. By the way, Deve also made suggestions what to do if a pad is too hot:

Quote from: Deve Loper on May 11, 2011, 09:08:43 PM
That was the theory. In practice the transducer (piezo or other) has its own source resistence as well. So easiest is to use a small potentiometer like 47k, bottom end to ground, top end to pad, slider to DrumIt input.
Deve.

and

Quote from: Deve Loper on May 11, 2011, 07:59:59 PM
Hi.
There's nothing the software can do to lower the sensitivity. If a trig signal is too hot it already clipped at the analog to digital stage. So use a series resistor from the pad to the DrumIt. The trig input impedance is about 15 kOhm so 15 kOhm extra in series will reduce the trig level with 6 dB (half the amplitude). To reduce to 1/4 (-12 dB) use 45 kOhm.
Deve.

Regards, Manfred

edtc

edtc

just a last question ....   linear or logarithmic ?

I ve found these , for  0.66 € .... 
http://www.imotion.fr/potentiometre-lineaire-50k-p65b50k.html

....and check it out ,  if you buy for 50 € , you get a free VUVUZELLA !!!!

...this world is crazy!!!

Manfred

The one i use is a linear poti. Yours looks good, too. And if you can get a vuvuzela.....

Regards, Manfred

Slap the drummer

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I don't think I'd be able to make something like that tho....

Still now I know what I have to do  :)

GenuineHuman

Well, sure you can. There's all the info in the Deve Loper's quote. And here is the basic diagram

EDIT: This one is mono, though. Stereo pot is basically the same only with three additional pins. Here is a diagram for stereo pot (and RCA connectors).

edtc

Quote from: Slap the drummer on January 24, 2012, 09:10:11 PM

I don't think I'd be able to make something like that tho....

It can seem to be difficult if you are not into DIY but this particularily is really easy ....

....So i made a little schematic with all the wiring visible specially for your "dual kick " case .... 

sure you can do it or find someone to solder it for you ....

IMO it s better to use TRS  jacks( tip ring sleeve AKA stereo jack )  , at least for the one where you plug the  module and the 2BOX kick ... not sure it s safe to short circuit the ring as there is 18 volts present there for the kick light .... At the aux pad IN ,you can  use a TRS and   dont wire the RING  side or use a mono jack ....
Connection between Rings ( 2BOX kick to module in ) can be made ... usefull only for MK1 pads or if you use the device to split the head of a dual zone pad  ...