News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

New 2box sounds??

Started by InTheBox, August 28, 2015, 04:26:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

InTheBox

Got a reply from 2box where they more or less promise an update on downloadable sounds. It was all a bit vague. Anyone else with more info on this, what and when we can expect?

Also I find it odd that they don't make a business of selling dsdns to us. Perhaps because there is no DRM, and we would all be sharing them, as the reckless pirates we are..   ;)

tassuperkart

Over the time Ive had my 2Box, there have been several additions to the library of drumkits, synth-drums and percussion on the 2Box site.

Its no surprise that not more sounds are available freely tho.
If you have a look at the E-Nerd thread and the videos he has made, it will give you a good idea of how much time and effort that goes into sampling and producing a useable, and importantly, unique E-drumkit.
In a professional recording studio, time and effort = shitloads of money! Somebody paid hard-earned big money for those sounds to be recorded and produced.

To be quite honest, there isnt anything I cant do with the stock 2Box library of sounds. I have downloaded all sounds available to date on the 2Box site and if those sounds are not adequate for the vast majority of musos needs then there is something gone wrong!!!!! :rock:

E

Coda

• OP implies a recent communication.
  • Maybe 2box is working on new sounds for the Drumit 3 which could be made available for us D5 users?
  • The word 'adequate' does not appear in my dictionary. I am always seeking improvement, not just in my own musicianship, but in my equiptment too.
  • The majority of 'musos' are lazy.
  • ;)

InTheBox

If you read the eNERD thread you'll see that I've been active there, and you'll also maybe recognize some of my comments on Endre's youtube channel, so yes, I'm fully aware of what it takes.

eNERD is an individual (highly skilled, though). 2box is a company which employs a studio to do their sampling.

Mind you, I was never criticizing 2box for not adding new samples. I got a reply from them the other day where they hint to an update. I'm quite used to people in here having more information than me, hence my question.

As to "not adequate", no I actually don't find many of the stock samples to be good enough for my use, especially in the cymbal department. If most people thought so there wouldn't be any threads about making dsdns, and Lustar wouldn't be selling any copies of SDSE.

Coda

Quote from: InTheBox on August 29, 2015, 07:50:25 AM
Oh please..
Please indicate who you are replying to. It's obvious after reading the complete post though  :)

Endre-eNerd

Quote from: InTheBox on August 29, 2015, 07:50:25 AM
eNERD is an individual (highly skilled, though). 2box is a company which employs a studio to do their sampling.
The work process of making the eNerd kits was no different to that of any other kit. 2Box has always outsourced the sound creation and the stock kits were recorded in various studios.
Although my signature kits were published on my website, we worked closely together with 2Box to make sure everything would go fine. The initial plan was that we'd only do the recording here and they'd finish the instruments in Sweden, but during the mixing I realized that if I wanted to make the dsnds sound and behave exactly as I planned, then I had to do the whole editing and dsnd creation at my studio.
2Box.se is undergoing a major redesign, so don't expect too much new content to get posted on the old site, but 2Box already announced the eNerd kits and posted two chapters of the supplementary video on their facebook page.
(This post might be interesting to some who don't read this thread, so I'll copy it to the eNerd thread, too, I hope it won't bother anyone too much).

InTheBox

I guess this thread got a bit out of hand quickly. By no means do I wish to come across as an individual who isn't satisfied. However, I am an individual who will jump at any chance of adding new and better sounds to my library.

I've been making dsdns with BFD and I quickly realized how far superior these sounds were to some of the stock sounds, especially when it comes to cymbals. As it is, I do not use any stock cymbal sounds.

As far as I'm concerned adding sounds to the module is the whole point of 2box. Most of them I've paid good money to make myself (BFD, SDSE etc), some I got for free (eNerd..thank you..thank you..thank you Endre), but I would also be happy if 2box released some new samples. I also stated that I would be willing to pay for ready made dsdnds of good quality.

As to the cost of making good quality samples, my point was that 2box is a company. They make money from selling us modules and pads. Having a great variety of downloads would be a business advantage to them. I guess what constitutes a great variety is in the eyes/ears of the beholder/listener.

If we should just be content with whatever is there, well, wouldn't we all be playing Roland then?

teletom007

my opinion (Google Translate) :D

the 2box activities are absolutely bare, in recent years.
not everyone can create their own sound with VST's.
Here I wish a lot more support with new sound's of 2Box.

I created my own sound's. Many do not have the time and not the possibilities

tom

Jman

Just to keep it in perspective, even if 2Box never added another sound to the site. None of the other Edrum companies have given away anywhere near what 2box has. Roland offers an update to some of their top of the line modules via an expensive expansion, maybe several years after their top of the line module is released, and that comes at a steep price around $400 on the TD-20 if I remember right. Their top of the line modules are waaaay more expensive than 2Box to start with ..... and the sounds are the same emulated/synthesized sounds that I have tired of wrapped in a new module compared to the 2Box real drum sounds. Oh, and just to top it off .... a while after you buy the new expansion for your module ..... expect it to be discontinued and a different very expensive module to take it's place, repeat, Buy, Repeat! Alesis (DM10) and Pearl E-Pro, added a few expansions, NOT FREE, and again those kits/sounds are no where near the kind of quality or velocity depth of the 2Box sounds. I think Yamaha might be a little closer in giving at least some sounds away .... as they have offered some free sounds if I remember right, but still like comparing a VW Beatle to a Rolls Royce as far as sounds go.

Wanting more is natural, wanting more can be good ..... Personally though, I'm still blown away by what 2Box has already done .... and the continued support and add-ons, updates for years after product release, instead of abandoning the product like most companies tend to do. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

ANGR77

Hi!

My two cents to the discussion: there are loads of samples found on 2Box site beside the factory sounds. I can just confirm that the digital rights management (DRM) issue is valid...The recording Studio for the original sounds in Sweden, told me that they planned to make more kits...but the chance to get paid was limited. The SDSE tool works great...I bought Addictive Drums Ultimate POP ADPak...yesterday, picked the best settings...made an export using SDSE...36 minutes later I got a complete DSNds Kit which sounds more than ok in my ears...

Best regards

Angr77

Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

InTheBox

Of course 2box has done more than R and Y and the othes. Perhaps we have become spoiled. Again, this is not a complaint thread. If you read the initial post it's more of a "wohoo.. maybe more candy coming our way" thread.

Travis182

JMan you are absolutely spot on like usual!!

I find it incredible how us mere humans expect a company (any company at that) to put their hard time and effort in to making something to simply give away to people who "expect" a company to do so. I think it's pretty amazing in fact how 2Box is still supporting it's users by releasing updates for us. Yes they may be a little slower than we would like but they are still coming and might i add......NOT CHARGING US FOR THEM!

Would you rather they had more regular updates but charged us £$â,¬400 (like Jman quoted roland doing) or so for them? no we would all probably still piss and moan about it.

Just a quick question for you, all of you with jobs, what would you do if people asked you to do it for free because it would help them "expand" their own life in some way? I can just imagine the answer.

teletom007

Quote from: teletom007 on August 29, 2015, 07:12:38 PM
my opinion (Google Translate) :D

the 2box activities are absolutely bare, in recent years.
not everyone can create their own sound with VST's.
Here I wish a lot more support with new sound's of 2Box.

I created my own sound's. Many do not have the time and not the possibilities

tom

clarification:

I want nothing for free.
Some people are ready to pay money for good sound.
But there is no offer

Coda

Quote from: teletom007 on September 01, 2015, 06:53:31 AM
clarification:

I want nothing for free.
Some people are ready to pay money for good sound.
But there is no offer
This.

Our only current source of good drums (apart from eNerd - much respect to him) is from VSTs. And let's face it, they are designed, built (and priced accordingly) for studio engineers/home songwriters who want some realistic drums in their recordings that can't be bothered (or just can't for other reasons) set up and mic a kit, and find a good session drummer to play them. The whole VST mechanism just isn't designed for our needs, and only because of the great work of Lustar are we able to take advantage of them.

What we really need is our own VST style engine that is designed for US, I.E for exporting sounds to modules (I'm sure 2box won't be the only company on the planet providing open sound modules forever), without these humanizing and round robin mechanisms that are designed to make robots sound like humans, and the other ways that articulations are designed to be expressed which we have to work around to get appropriate sounds. I'm sure we would all pay for such a tool.

BTW - if you read that and think I'm discrediting Lustar/SDSE, you're wrong. The guy is amazing, SDSE works well if you configure it properly, and it's constantly being improved.

InTheBox

Ok, this will be my last post in this thread since it turned out a different way than I expected.

One opinion is that 2box has already provided well above what other companies have done.  In many regards I agree with that opinion, 2box certainly is an outstanding company when it comes to product support. But I'd still like to look at this issue more from a marketing/sales perspective than a "we love 2box" angle (which we all do of course :))

2box is competing in a market which is dominated by two big players and some smaller ones. I don't think I'm wrong when I'm supposing that 2box is one of the smallest players in this market. The big players already have their names and reputations well established and make a lot of sales on name alone. To the customer it seems safer to buy something well known. Buying a, to the average drummer, "noname", orange kit is a much greater risk to take than buying the safe and known "Ronald" or "Yimmiya".

How can a small player gain a piece of a market dominated by big players?

By doing something different/better. 2box has done this through outstanding innovation and support. 2box simply cannot afford to be "as good as" R or Y. They have to be much better to outweigh the selling power of an established brand name. I do believe that 2box already is much better than its competitors. We tend to compare the module to the TD20/30, but remember the enormous price difference between the two.

I believe the primary selling point for 2box is it's open structure. However, I think perhaps 2box marketing makes it seem a little bit easier than it really is. "Just download ANY sound to your module.." Well, as we all know it's not really that straightforward. (studio/sampling, VSTs etc). Many buyers might end up a bit disappointed when they realize what it takes to actually put those sounds in the module. A great variety of downloads can counter that disapointment.

I think we must remember that the people who come to this forum are above average interested in our kits. I believe there has been manufactured something around 5000+ models, I wonder how many copies of SDSE has been sold. Point is, most 2boxers don't make dsdns from VSTs or sample their own drums in a studio. They play stock or downloaded sounds.

That customer might feel a bit oversold when one of the reasons for buying his kit was..

Free new sounds and updates on our webpage (www.2box.se). (2box marketing material)

..and he finds that there really hasn't been that many updates recently. (Not all downloads are dated, the last dated I could find was from 2013. I might be wrong on this, though.)

In my opinion, besides being one of the most natural sounding modules out there, having available a great variety of downloads is, and will be, one of the greatest decision factors for the general e-drum customer to choose 2box.

Disclaimer: Everything I've written here is from a marketing perspective, it's not meant as criticism against 2box as such. In my opinion 2box is still one of the best companies in the market when it comes to innovation and customer/product support. However it's important to pinpoint and realize what are this company's success factors in the e-drum market.