News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Using an external effects processor.

Started by welshsteve, July 14, 2016, 08:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welshsteve

Hello,
Anyone try using an external effects processor with the 2box module? As you are all aware, the internal effects is limited to flange and delay, pretty useless if you ask me. I have always wanted to have dry by really dynamic sounds but using a powerful effects processor for ambient and compression. On the ddrum 4 it was simple as you could assign different levels to separate outputs so say 1+2 could be the main mix, 3 could be an effect send so on each drum (say snare and toms) you could send different levels of each down output 3 into a processor then out of that into as stereo return on the desk. In the 2box instance, the return of the effect processor could be routed into the AUX input. I just haven't figured out to route a sound out of a third effects sent independently of a mix. If the FX buss could be routed to on of the 6 outputs, that would be the ticket.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

edtc

i agree ...  i asked for it some years ago ...

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1551.msg14298.html#msg14298

in fact i remember it s possible to do it  , but then you loose a stereo bus .
You use the sub out assigned to 7/8 , and you let only the fx in it . The rest is in the link ..

Of course , more flexibility and routing options would be welcome ... for example :

- mono aux "dry fx out " ( post fader style ) , for using an external effect or a VST on a computer , like you would use an effect on a live mixing desk .

- mono "sub out " aux ( pre fader ) so you can have 7 drum outs plus your mono monitor mix . Mono is enough most of the time , as even if you have 2 monitors on a stage most of the time they are linked on one amp ... 

- possibility to assign the clic to a mono out . the normal clic from the module AND the one from a "split backing track " ( mono backing track on one side anc clic on the other ) 

- having the same "split mode " for loops , so you can have a clic in sync with a mono loop  , and hear it from the sub out or from a mono CLIC  output bus .
This would be very usefull for non rythmic loops , synth pads  or rythmic loops that you want to sound low in your drum mix  , but  too low to play confortably on it without the help of a clic ...

IMO ,  all this wont require more CPU power than the flanger effect does  ...

For me  , having 7 outs is really a good option . For example , mono kick , stereo snare , stereo bus for toms  , stereo bus with a mix of HH cymbals and perc + 1 mono monitor mix with clic (or mono clic out ) , and any soundguy would be pleased with such a routing.

Darthsleader

I just started using a Behringer XR16 as a sub mixer for my 2Box and Gen16 setup. It has excellent effects (4 separate busses at a time). Highly recommended as an effects unit!

Jer