News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

positional sensing on snare

Started by edtc, January 01, 2011, 02:31:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

do 2box users want positional sensing  support  ?

yes it s a must for snare!
14 (45.2%)
yes it s a must for snare and toms!
9 (29%)
Why not ...
7 (22.6%)
no , not sure it helps...
1 (3.2%)
no , positional sensing sucks...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Slap the drummer

Positional sensing on the snare would be great.  And on the ride as well of course!

BUT

from my small experience with roland pads a centre trigger can be a real handicap.
I got the feeling you cd kind of overwhelm it so that you got missed beats or
quiet beats in the middle of a full on attack.

One of the great things I think about the 2box pads is that you can even double stick on
the centre of a head with total confidence.  I have never ever heard a 2box pad (mesh) not
give me the hit I was expecting.

just a thought....

Kyrrinstoch

Slap, with my ddrum Cast Precision pads, I have yet to encounter hotspsots, dead zones or any other playability issue due to them being a center trigger design like I have with Roland, Pintech and Hart pads.

Bengt and the former ddrum crew really knew what they were doing when they designed those pads. I just hope they keep that same level of playability in mind with the rubber head design.

ProgrammerDrummer

There is a software side to positional sensing as well I suppose.  Roland marching drum does this really well, but the sounds are generated so I beleive the 2box will have to go an extra mile to implement sensing with samples.
The snare drum needs positional at the least, if this thing is to be played for anything sensitive like any real percussion instrument.  I personally play jazz and for me 2box makes only a practice set at home.  It cannot surpass the cheepest accustic snare for me yet.

This is a good example of what can be done with positional sensing.  Only with real samples , aah that be so good!

Slap the drummer

Can this poll be amended to include a mention of the ride cymbal?
For me this wd me much more useful than positional sensing on the toms.

:drum3:

edtc

Quote from: Slap the drummer on March 11, 2011, 03:16:33 PM
Can this poll be amended to include a mention of the ride cymbal?
For me this wd me much more useful than positional sensing on the toms.

:drum3:

i think it s better to start a new thread on this ,  i tried to figure out how to include this on the pole so that it would be "statistically correct" , and after 5 mn i got a headache ... ;)

Slap the drummer

Well it's not urgent  :)

Of all the pads tho, it is the ride which I most feel aware of as electronic.
There is a slight tendency to "machine gun" - and I think what it needs is some
slight variation in tone from variation in position, which is what I wd do on a real
ride cymbal.....

edtc

well allright , but are'nt 2 piezo required for positional sensing ?
i thought there was just a bell piezo and a switch around the cymbal ...

nonoduweb

With the OS 0.36, the cymbals bell-bow detection was made by wave analysis (so with one piezo?), but it didn't work well.

Here is some reading (I have never had time to read the Roland patent completely):

http://www.etrigger.net/forum/index.php?topic=78.0

Jman

Positional Detection with Roland modules uses only one piezo. And yes it is a sort of wave analysis thing. 
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

puttenvr

I always thought (heard somewhere) that it co-operates with the FSR rim trigger
Anyway: the Roland cones are in the centre, hence it works (?)

ddrum always used 1 piezo element and an aluminium plate who enlarged the detection surface
On their Acoustic precision pads and mesh headed drum pads positional sensing didn't work either

2Box told us positional sensing will be posible on the (more stiff) rubber heads.

Jman

Quote from: puttenvr on March 14, 2011, 04:57:53 PM
I always thought (heard somewhere) that it co-operates with the FSR rim trigger
Anyway: the Roland cones are in the centre, hence it works (?)

On Roland modules there was Pos sensing back on the TD-10 TDW-1 for single zone toms ... the errant idea that the Pos sensing (at least for Roland modules/pads) needs two zones has been posted so many times on the net that many believe that is the case .... but it isn't. Now one thing that is necessary for Pos Sensing on Roland modules is the correct piezo polarity... a simple thing though .... if positional sensing doesn't work with tip wired to piezo ceramic and sleeve wired to piezo brass .... switch the wiring opposite and that'll get it...
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/