News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Hiihat rubber edge wearing after 7 hours of use??

Started by Denus, February 14, 2012, 12:17:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Denus

My 2Box set still smells like new but I already got several tears in the edge of the hihat rubber.
Now, I'm playing nicely and not that often, so this is not normal after 3 weeks and max 7 hours of use.
(using A5 sticks, so nothing unusual here)

The edge of the rubber pad is way too thin in my opinion, and the metal edging behind it quite sharp.
Is this a warranty issue, or does this fall under the normal wear and tear?

Denus

I've sent an email to the 2Box helpdesk: the support is usually awesome, so I hope it will be the case for this issue as well.

My supplier (located at the other end of the country) will not even understand my issue I'm sure   :P

ytchi

Mine's done the same. To be honest, I think the 2box cymbals are pretty crap and this design/manufacturing flaw is just so obvious I can't believe they thought the rubber covers would ever last. I think this is a warranty issue and will certainly be contacting my distributor for replacements before the warranty runs out.

In the meantime, I've angled the crash cymbals down more to avoid catching the edge side on with the stick and dropped the hi-hat down a bit for the same reason. Hopefully this will stop the damage getting worse.

When you compare the 2box kit with the comparably priced roland hardware the difference in quality is only too apparent. The roland kit does, however, sound pretty awful so I suppose it's a case of 'you pays your money and you takes your choice', or something like that. I'm very happy with my 2box, I just wish they'd put a bit more thought into the cymbal design.

Denus

Yeah, and this is likely a bad day for me because one of the (shitty) jack cables is also broken.
I think I will check out for good quality cables instead and change them all.

otherwise, I really like this kit, but some details are spoiling the fun.

Denus

I must say that the 2Box service is great!
A reply has already been given and the problem will be solved.

Thanks 2Box !!  :patbat2box:

SHwoKing

Please tell us how they will solve it.

If by solve it meanq that they will replace the rubber sheet by the same one, it does not solve anything. This is just a matter of time before you encounter the same problem again this way.

Denus

Yes, I will receive a new rubber sheet directly from 2Box.
I know this is not a permanent fix, but they don't have anything better yet, so I don't have that expectation.

SHwoKing

Hope they have a plan B as this problem seems to be related to the design, not from a bad batch.
So if it's the case, you can have a replacement plan but this get old quiet fast for customer satisfaction. New design is the only way to go to solve this once and for all. Unless you think xx% of return is acceptable.

Sorry for this input, it just a bad habit of mine as I deal with this kind of things in my job on a daily basis (I'm working in a Quality department). 

GenuineHuman

Some of us have the same problem. My hihat rubber cracked after about 2 weeks too. I turned hihat around and so far it didn't crack anywhere else. I won't annoy 2box with this until this rubber is full of cracks. No idea how to replace it, though, since it's glued to the metal.

EDIT: They can fix that by either making edges thicker, not overheating it during production and not being cheap on additives that increase flexibility.

Denus

Quote from: SHwoKing on February 14, 2012, 09:27:02 PM

Sorry for this input, it just a bad habit of mine as I deal with this kind of things in my job on a daily basis (I'm working in a Quality department).

Just the kind of job I'm looking for right now (Quality Engineer or anything related).

Well, regarding the thickness of the edges, I did mention that issue in my email, but I'm not the first person to do so I guess. And I think that you should inform 2Box to make clear that we are dealing with a design issue here.

Why does my supplier provide 2 years warranty on Alesis drum sets, and only one year for the 2Box Drumit 5 kit?

puttenvr

Quote from: Denus on February 15, 2012, 12:27:24 PM
Why does my supplier provide 2 years warranty on Alesis drum sets, and only one year for the 2Box Drumit 5 kit?

Perhaps they made better price agreements and/or the standard warranty for Alesis is 2 years and for 2Box is 1 year. However I don't care. In Holland we have a law which regulates a warranty which a customer normally can expect from a product if he uses it under proper circumstances. So if your tv-set is broken after 16 months, that's not normal and the dealer needs to do something. Same with e-drum devices.

signature

isn't that a great law. At least it has great intentions. Does it mean that prices are partly inflated to cover that risk do you think? In any circumstances, it means the quality of products must be better maintained, I would think.

Denus

Just received the new rubber pad for my hihat, along with a replacement for my broken cable too.
In the kit, a rubber ring was added to cover the sharp edge of the aluminium disc.
The rubber pad fits well now, and I guess it will last much longer with the metal edge covered by rubber.

I just want to say thanks to the support desk of 2Box!

Manfred

Quote from: Denus on February 23, 2012, 01:47:12 PM

In the kit, a rubber ring was added to cover the sharp edge of the aluminium disc.

Hi,

what kind of rubber ring is it? Is it similar to the one on the pictures in this post:

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1155.0.html

Regards, Manfred

Denus

Yes, it looks exactly like that.
I didn't notice any differences regarding the triggering so that's good.

Besides, my original rubber pad was not very healthy in the first place: around the cracks, I've noticed many air bells in the edge of the rubber which shows clearly a manufacturing and probably a design issue.

People having this issue should contact 2Box directly, that's the only way to show this persistent problem.
It also would be great if consumers could have the possibility to purchase spare parts for this kit: rubber pads, nuts, rings and other things.