News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

The MK1 bass drum has a LIGHT?????? (ansd hello from a noob!)

Started by BeechCustom, July 25, 2015, 02:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeechCustom

Hello all.

I've just become the proud owner of a hardly used MK1 2Box DrumIt5 for what I consider to be a bargain price (it actually came from the home of a famous musician but I won't be uncouth enough to reveal who!!!).  Anyway, it's running OS1.24 so I'll be installing the latest OS1.3x when my Type A to B usb cable gets delivered (I have never needed an A to B usb cable before now so I didn't have one in the house!). 

I have to say that on first impressions I am very, very impressed with the kit.  Electric kits are never 100% like an acoustic in feel but the 2Box comes pretty close.  I love that the pad dimensions are big enough so that it actually feels like you are sat behind a real kit.

Anyway, am I correct in thinking that the MK1 bass drum unit has a light (led?) in it that illuminates the glass 2Box logo at the audience side?  If so, mine doesn't work OR it isn't switched on - if so, how do I switch it on!!!

Many thanks.  I'm sure I'll have loads of other questions as my 2Box experience continues.

All the best

Phil

Coda

I don't have the whole kit, just the module, so I don't know how the light circuit in the bass drum unit looks like. I haven't seen an option on the module for enabling/disabling the light.

However, the power for the light is supplied from the ring (+) and sleeve (-) of the kick connector. If you have a multimeter, put it across those two connections and see if you have a voltage when the module is turned on. Another test you can do, check the kick cable's ring-to-ring and sleeve-to-sleeve of each end for continuity.

If you don't have a multimeter you can swap the cable temporarily with one of the others to see if the light works.

BeechCustom

Hi Coda.  What do you mean by 'kick connector'.  Is it simply the wire that is used to connect the kick pad to the brain?  If so, I've tried a different wire in case it's faulty but it hasn't made the light come on.  I don't have a mutimeter either so that's out for now too.  Thanks for the reply though :-)

Coda

Yeah, the cable which goes to the kick pedal (bass pedal) is a stereo cable (tip, ring, sleeve). Signal from the pedal sensor to the module is on the tip, current source for the light is on the ring, and sleeve is the ground.
The next step is to check for a voltage between ring and sleeve but if you have no multimeter you can't do it. If you can find an LED, place one leg on the ring, one on the sleeve, just BRIEFLY, and if you see it flash, there's voltage there. If not, turn it around and try again. If not, there's nothing coming from the module (you need warranty service in that case), if it works the lamp in the bass unit is dead.
BTW - if the voltage is high enough, it will kill the LED. But at least it will light and you will see it.

InTheBox

puttenvr

I am afraid only a few of the first kick pads came with a light
I was an early adapter but my kick hasn't a light either
:-(

BeechCustom

Thanks for the replies guys.  I think it's safe to assume that mY KICK doesn't have the light installed!  No bother, I'm still loving it.  Cheers, Phil

Coda

BeechCustom

Quote from: Coda on July 26, 2015, 12:35:07 PM
Looks like a project to retrofit them is needed!  ;D

Ha ha not a bad idea although I'll be using the kit for practise and teaching.  It's unlikely I'll be using it live where the light would definitely be nice to have!