News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

WTF! - Module is dead

Started by mcrackins, July 31, 2014, 04:05:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcrackins

Came into my office to jam. Turned on the module and my headphones were emanating a catastrophic buzz. Pulled out the headphone jack immediately. Unplugged any cords going into my mixer in case that was the issue. Turned the module again with volume at zero and massive buzz.

Turned if off again and unplugged the wall wart from powerbar. Noticed the wall wart was really hot. Go to turn on my unit after plugging back in and no power to the module at all.

Pissed!....I'm hoping it's just the AC adapter that is shot. I leave my module powered off whenever not in use. faint electrical smell where the AC end plugs into the module. Might be toast. I'm hoping my Sennheiser 280's didn't take a hit...that was some nasty bottom end hum.

Going to contact Cymbalism to see what the next step is.

StudioG4

If you have a voltage or multi-meter, you could test/trouble shoot the power supply first.

fulrmr

Hmmm...any problems with any of your other gear? Sounds like the result of a spike or power surge.

mcrackins

Quote from: StudioG4 on July 31, 2014, 04:35:11 AM
If you have a voltage or multi-meter, you could test/trouble shoot the power supply first.

Thanks, tried it and it appears to be totally dead...nothing.

Quote from: fulrmr on July 31, 2014, 10:35:04 PM
Hmmm...any problems with any of your other gear? Sounds like the result of a spike or power surge.

No, nothing at all. I have PC, powered monitors, mixer, V-amp and no issues with any of that gear at all.  There hasn't been any lightning or power issues. Weather has been around 30 all week, and my office is downstairs which is always cool. I did have it plugged into a surge protector...first thing I did after it was set up. Everything was working fine. I was using it all last week with no issues. I always power off the unit when not in use.

I found a adapter at a music store that had the same input/output specs....but nothing module won't power up. Barrel end may be slightly different. Looks like I'll have to do warranty replacement.

Quite the pisser as I"m just getting ready to start a recording project  :(

PS: Interesting....this sounds very similar RE: loud hum - http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=2170.0

Murgen

Contact your dealer or 2Box for replacement if it is the dreaded faulty component. If you used a 3rd party adapter ... Eeeewwww.

Anyway, bad luck and I hope you get it sorted asap.

Imagine gigging with e-drums, you need spare cables, space modules, spare power supplies, etcetera etcetera ...
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Tommy_D

I noticed my A/C adapter getting warm/hot after just a couple hours of being plugged in.  I have no idea why it gets so hot, but it wouldn't surprise me if something broke within the A/C adapter and possibly affected the module.

Jman

Quote from: Murgen on August 01, 2014, 06:48:41 AM
Contact your dealer or 2Box for replacement if it is the dreaded faulty component. If you used a 3rd party adapter ... Eeeewwww.
This was a US module and would be using the standard 2Box adapter for North America, so he should be fine there. All original equipment.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Murgen

Quote from: Jman on August 01, 2014, 06:26:13 PM
This was a US module and would be using the standard 2Box adapter for North America, so he should be fine there. All original equipment.

Please let him confirm that first.
--------

hemiboy

I am confused is this a/c adapter original 2 box equipment or aftermarket? I remember the module was bought brand new from cymbalisism, right, mckrackins? So I am thinking it came with the module, unless for some reason another a/c adapter was used.

Jman

Quote from: hemiboy on August 01, 2014, 07:20:13 PM
I am confused is this a/c adapter originsl 2 box equipment or aftermarket? I remember the module was bought brand new from cymbalisism, right, mckrackins?
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=2081.msg18376#msg18376
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

mcrackins

Quote from: hemiboy on August 01, 2014, 07:20:13 PM
I am confused is this a/c adapter original 2 box equipment or aftermarket? I remember the module was bought brand new from cymbalisism, right, mckrackins? So I am thinking it came with the module, unless for some reason another a/c adapter was used.

Everything I have is factory default and purchased brand new. The day after the factory default adapter stopped functioning, I went to a music store and got an adapter with the same voltage/amperage to validate if my module was dead before sending it back for warranty replacement.

The factory default adapter company is CMP and Chinese. Since my module had been off for two days, and I had only turned on the module for a span of maybe 20 seconds tops, when the issue happened. So for the AC adapter to be really hot in that time period is really odd. In the future I will be shutting off the power bar as well. First time I've ever seen that happen from any electronic gear I've had.

Drum2

Was the CMP adapter AC out, or was it DC? It had to be AC 18V.

hemiboy

Sorry to hear this news . Hope it gets  resolved quickly by 2 box and for free! What a royal cramp in the --s,wow!

Murgen

Any update? Keeping my drumsticks crossed.
--------

mcrackins

Quote from: Murgen on August 09, 2014, 03:27:15 PM
Any update? Keeping my drumsticks crossed.

Thanks, yes...was given RMA and shipped it off last week for warranty replacement. Hopefully will see it in a few weeks. I was thinking the other day....thank god I didn't do the USB mod or I would have been screwed.

Going forward I will be unplugging the AC adapter from the brand new APC surge protector after each use!