News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

splitting a tom output

Started by roel, September 23, 2011, 12:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roel

Hello,

Is it possible to connect 1 cymbal and 1 tom on 1 tom output channel?
I mean that you can use 1 single trigger cymbal for splash sounds instead of using the rim of that tom, and the tom for tomsounds only.

Is that possible? and which type splitter or cable do I need?

greetings,
Roel.

edtc

... of course it s possible

You ll need a Y cable : female TRS to female TS like this

spoenk

male! to plug into the pads and into the brain...

edtc

Quote from: spoenk on September 23, 2011, 01:43:16 PM
male!

personally i prefer females... ;)

i doubt an adapter short like this could reach the back of the module :) so you can use this kind of adapter ,if you use the 2BOX loom ,just before the tom and then use extensions to the tom and to the cymbal...

You can also use a short male TRS  to 2 female TS ... and have extensions from the module to the pads

IMO the best thing to do , if you can solder , is to make a female TRS to a male TS (tip) & a female TS(ring) , then use an extension  cable ( TS TS male male) for the cymbal ...

You can alsouse a long male TRS to male TS , like Spoenk said ( same cables used for INSERTs ...)

in fact , there are many ways  ... ;)

Jman

I split all my tom inputs. I used these (Hosa YPP-117) at the module. Then you can run either TS or TRS cables to the pads. There are a variety of splitters, this one, all female like Edtc's pic, dual male mono to TRS female ..... etc. etc... They are also easy to build (DIY). Since they are relatively inexpensive I usually just buy a few.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

roel

thanx for the information, its time to go shopping for splash,china,crashes.

rythm

Someone help my poor memory: if you use the rim of a tom as cymbal via the Y cable, then you'll have that cymbal sound connected to the toms in the output, right?

edtc

Quote from: rythm on September 23, 2011, 05:29:33 PM
Someone help my poor memory: if you use the rim of a tom as cymbal via the Y cable, then you'll have that cymbal sound connected to the toms in the output, right?

no , with a Y cable , the pad's rim isn't connected a all .... only the cymbalwill trig the sound

Jman

Quote from: rythm on September 23, 2011, 05:29:33 PM
If you are talking about module direct outs.... you can assign the rims to a different output.... Example: I use 8 direct outs ... using the headphone jack as out 7/8 .... my toms are split and my tom heads are assigned to outs 5/6 ... the tom rims I am using for splashes and chinas are assigned to outs 7/8 like the rest of my crashes.

Jman

Also, you will want to set the trigger type for the rim pads, and of course change the sounds. Off the top of my head Press More and the tom simultaneous for the tom/rim you are splitting .... go to unit and assign the pad type for the rim pad. You can fine tune the gain, threshold, etc. also. And under unit you can assign the output/outputs you want for the rim pad. After pressing More and tom under the Kit settings assign the instrument you want to the rim.

rythm

Thanks Jman, that´s the answer I was looking for  :)

edtc

Quote from: roel on October 08, 2011, 09:58:09 AM
would this work?
http://www.thomann.de/nl/the_sssnake_sk3153_insertkabel.htm

Yes ... as long as the second tom is not too far from the other one , and that the pad/cymbal doesnt require a "L" type jack plug ...

roel

Quote from: edtc on October 08, 2011, 10:23:05 AM
Yes ... as long as the second tom is not too far from the other one , and that the pad/cymbal doesnt require a "L" type jack plug ...

It says 3 m, is this 3m for each mono jack? 

edtc