News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Need your input on kit purchase - Roland vs 2box

Started by RolloT, August 12, 2013, 10:07:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tower of p

Quote from: RolloT on August 19, 2013, 10:24:43 PM
Those contributing on this thread: what do you think of the 2box hardware, pads etc.?  Or do you only use the module with other equipment?

I think the 2box hardware is OK. The rack is very good (MK2-Version!), only thing is the bassdrumpad wich is fixed only on 1 bar (bottomside) and waggles a little, which only bothered me when playing doublebass. Murgen and me fixed that by adding another tube to the rack. (watch this: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1527.msg14159#msg14159)

Concerning the pads I always have issues with my snarepad. I play rimshots all the time, and after a while (depends on how often I play) the inner part of the rim breaks. The 2box service here in germany is very good, they send me spare parts for free whenever I need them.
This affects only the snarepad, and presumably only happens due to my hard rim-hitting, and I never heard from anyone else around here with this problem.

The highend Roland hardware is better in my opinion. But Roland was no choice for me because of the prices of those highend-kits and because the 2box definitely sounds better (meaning more natural, accoustic-kit-like). And so far I can live with the minor hardware issues (I only use the 2box at home, not on the road).

Hope this could help! ;)

cheers,
Lutz

fulrmr

Quote from: tower of p on August 21, 2013, 07:00:23 PM
I think the 2box hardware is OK. The rack is very good (MK2-Version!), only thing is the bassdrumpad wich is fixed only on 1 bar (bottomside) and waggles a little, which only bothered me when playing doublebass. Murgen and me fixed that by adding another tube to the rack. (watch this: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1527.msg14159#msg14159)

Concerning the pads I always have issues with my snarepad. I play rimshots all the time, and after a while (depends on how often I play) the inner part of the rim breaks. The 2box service here in germany is very good, they send me spare parts for free whenever I need them.
This affects only the snarepad, and presumably only happens due to my hard rim-hitting, and I never heard from anyone else around here with this problem.

The highend Roland hardware is better in my opinion. But Roland was no choice for me because of the prices of those highend-kits and because the 2box definitely sounds better (meaning more natural, accoustic-kit-like). And so far I can live with the minor hardware issues (I only use the 2box at home, not on the road).

Hope this could help! ;)

cheers,
Lutz

Just a side not...don't forget that there will most likely be some hardware changes that lean toward TAMA's gear line with the new kits. Of course that has nothing to do with the pads themselves. ;)

RolloT

Quote from: Murgen on August 21, 2013, 11:44:16 AM
I bought the 2Box blindly based on the advice from several respected drummers around me. Never regretted this decision.  Sometimes you just have to take a risk. :)

True that!

RolloT

Man, how I wish I could compare apples to apples on Roland vs 2box, say a maple kit. Until then, I accept that the VST samples possible with 2box are the MOST accurate sounds, most like acoustic. If so, that's a huge win for 2box, since the sound is what we are going for, right?

Hardware seems to be a bit of a wash, as users of both brands seem generally happy, or have made modifications to address nagging annoyances.

Here in the United States, it looks like there is a bit of a wait for 2box. I envy those of you in Europe with easier access to kits, accessories, and service.

And, fulrmr, what are the rumors for hardware or kit changes, and any timeline for that?

digitalDrummer

Quote from: RolloT on August 21, 2013, 10:03:03 PM
what are the rumors for hardware or kit changes, and any timeline for that?
It's been reported that 2box kits will be available with standard 2box hardware or updated Tama hardware. You'll have a choice and there will be different pricepoints for the two versions.

fulrmr

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 22, 2013, 05:16:04 AM
It's been reported that 2box kits will be available with standard 2box hardware or updated Tama hardware. You'll have a choice and there will be different pricepoints for the two versions.

Any specifics on exactly what the "updated hardware" options will include?

digitalDrummer

Quote from: fulrmr on August 22, 2013, 01:19:58 PM
Any specifics on exactly what the "updated hardware" options will include?
All I have heard is a Tama HH stand, snare stand and kick pedal instead of the stock 2box hardware.

Jman

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 22, 2013, 09:37:38 PM
All I have heard is a Tama HH stand, snare stand and kick pedal instead of the stock 2box hardware.

Yes, that is what I was told at Winter NAMM 2013 at the Tama Booth (2Box display) also. I was told 3 configurations were planned. Here is that brief thread, J
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1626.msg14861#msg14861
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

RolloT

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 22, 2013, 09:37:38 PM

Okay.  In my research for the 2box kits this summer that is exactly what I found at Cymbalism:

http://stores.cymbalismmusic.com/-strse-2243/Drumit-Five-2Box-Electronic/Detail.bok

edcito

I have the exact same tama hardware. Solid and reliable, you can't go wrong with Tama.

Murgen

Quote from: edcito on August 23, 2013, 09:33:05 AM
I have the exact same tama hardware. Solid and reliable, you can't go wrong with Tama.

Having a 2004 Pearl Masters MHX my preferred hardware is Pearl. Cant go wrong on mainstream brands like Tama and Pearl.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

RolloT

I've got a Yamaha acoustic kit with hardware I'm happy with and will use, but double pluses for Tama and Pearl hardware. Great stuff!  I was mainly curious if the Tama connection meant a different rack or connectors, but now I think not.