News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

First Gig With 2box

Started by jeff42, February 07, 2015, 02:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff42

Last night  I decided I am putting the TD-12 away in it's case (but bringing it as backup just in case) and I'm doing my 1st gig with the 2box module. Here is how it worked out... not pretty.

After work I had about 3 hrs before we had to be at the gig so I hooked up and tested the kit with A small 8 channel mixer I just picked up.  So now I can split the kit up to mix before sending it to the board. Sounds great... OFF TO THE GIG!

We arrive, I set up the kit and mixer. Hearing the kit through our system sounds awesome. Then i realize I didn't calibrate the hi hat yet so I did. Or at least tried to.

Thats right. I get the NOCHANGE error. The hi hat would not calibrate...I messed with it for about 20 min... Nothing... Big fail. Even tried Jamn's Hihat sensor thing too. nothing.

So with 5 minutes before start time I pulled it all out and I hooked up and used the td 12. Not sure what I'm going to do. I got it to sound great but if I can't rely on it... It got to go. Honestly not sure why it did that cuz an hour or so  before at our practice studio it was fine. Got to the gig and... Well you know.

nothing seemed wrong with the magnet. packed it up in my stick bag. packed the SUV with everything and drove about 5 miles to the gig. Set up and got the NoChange error over and over again. It was almost time to start so I had to stop messing with it... I will figure this out though. There must be something I did wrong.

Murgen

Wait for it ... There is a safe settings option, was it enabled? Without it you cannot safe any changes!

Make sure the Save parameter ( write-protect ) on the UNIT-PREF page is set to On.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Make sure you were using TRS cables not TS. A bad cable, bad cable connection or TS cable instead of TRS could cause the No Chg for HH calibration. You posted that you had it all working previously at home so see if you can figure out what changed when you moved the kit.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

fulrmr

Yep...that's the "new gear 1st gig set-up syndrome" ;) Anything that can happen usually does. This can even happen if you've set up the same gear a 1000 times.  This is a good example of why one should always carry essential back up gear. Suppose that would have been you HH stand or kick pedal that broke or was malfunctioning. Stuff happens and it's good to be prepared. Sooner or later your that old TD-12 will bite the big one too. Then what are you going to do?  I'm sure it's a simple thing. It usually is. :)

jeff42

I know its not a cable cuz I tried 3 that I know work. I am going to check on everything right now. I'm going to figure this out. If it was just the SAVE setting turned off some how I may punch my self in the nose. LOL

nocturnodrummer

I had exactly the same situation, you can find my thread if you are interested. I got the response from 2box officially. In a place with unstable electricity there could appear electrical rupture and the hall sensor fails. I got this situation twice. I replaced the hall sensor, and it worked perfectly well in my house but once I moved my kit to the rehearsal space, the hi hat failed again. I'm waiting now for a replacement. 2box informed me that they are aware of this issue and that a new board design is up. Please contact 2box directly, they are very helpful.

rush1234

where is the  the Hall Censor on the 2box ? and strange that the hihat mod from Jman failed to .. that is a strange thing.

jeff42

ok here is what I figured out so far. Its not Jman's hihat box, I got that to work. It didnt last night cuz I dont think it was set up right. It was teh last thing I tried & i was rushing and I had to replace the jman magnet under my hihat, it fell off last week... that's another story, but I will say if I do continue to use 2box I am bolting the magnet to the hihat pedal!

anyway back to the hihat problem. Jman's box worked today with my vh-12 and the 2box hihat (with jmans box) kind of works but doesnt seem "right". so maybe the 2box magnet is bad? I am going to read up on this hall sensor thing and I will be contacting 2box today. Thanks guys!

I also have an extra magnet coming in the mail any day now I am going to try that too. I guess if that doesnt work its the Hihat pad.

mcrackins

Jeff, If you are doing gigs, I'd highly recommend getting a backup AC adapter for the module. Mine just failed out of the blue last year and I wasn't sure what it was until I got my module back from Hoshino.

I'm not using it for for live shows, but I don't want to have the hassle of shipping off the module if a PSU fails in the future and I can't verify it's that PSU. The one I got with the unit was some chinese PSU. Hoshino replaced it with a Korg. I'm going to order a backup from Electronic Drum Center as my local music store has been pretty useless at getting anything 2box related.

jeff42

yeah that's another thing I have to get is a back up ac adapter. See, its more and more things like this that tells me the 2box while sounding great isn't reliable enough to gig weekly with. Im really torn right now, honestly.

but again you guys have been a great help!

Murgen

I had the same with my Roland TD3 years ago, adapter broke down and had to cancel the rehearsal. Murphy is all over the place.
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

Jman

Quote from: jeff42 on February 07, 2015, 07:11:42 PM
anyway back to the hihat problem. Jman's box worked today with my vh-12 and the 2box hihat (with jmans box) kind of works but doesnt seem "right". so maybe the 2box magnet is bad? I am going to read up on this hall sensor thing and I will be contacting 2box today. Thanks guys!

When you say, "Jman's box worked today with my vh-12 and the 2box hihat (with jmans box) kind of works but doesnt seem "right". To be clear, you can't use both the 2Box cymbal and my box. The 2Box cymbal has a control board built in. My box has a control board. So if you combine both you are never going to get correct results. And since 5 volts are being sent to the board I don't know what problems might arise. Try the 2Box Hi Hat cymbal by itself.

On the magnet adhesive for my magnet I do actually supply magnets that have a hole so you definitely can mount it by a fastener if you like. But normally if you just attach it one time firmly with that special Red (red plastic peel n stick coat) adhesive it will actually become stronger and stronger over time. I have had my own magnet mounted for years that way. I use that same adhesive for my Roland Bell sensors on my Roland ride conversions and after a period of time it is very difficult to remove them without damage, it is that strong ... send me a PM or email if you need/want more adhesive.

Just as a side note, if you do remount the magnet be sure that the side of the magnet that came with the adhesive is mounted facing the bottom of the pedal like how you originally mounted it. If you reverse the polarity/direction it will not work.... hope it helps, Jerry

jeff42

I am not sure how your magnet came off the bottom of the pedal last week but it did. I thought I lost it (glad you sent me 2) Later I found it stuck to our singer's microphone stand. LOL. Like I said. I am going to mount it with the tape AND a bolt. That sucker aint going anywhere! LOL

And the 2box hihat by it self still wont calibrate, just an open hihat sound. When I use Your box it works like it should with my vh-12 though.

fulrmr

Quote from: rush1234 on February 07, 2015, 06:56:03 PM
where is the  the Hall Censor on the 2box ? and strange that the hihat mod from Jman failed to .. that is a strange thing.

The HH control board has the hall sensor integrated to it and is how the HH functions

Jman

Quote from: jeff42 on February 07, 2015, 08:22:36 PM
I am not sure how your magnet came off the bottom of the pedal last week but it did. I thought I lost it (glad you sent me 2) Later I found it stuck to our singer's microphone stand. LOL. Like I said. I am going to mount it with the tape AND a bolt. That sucker aint going anywhere! LOL

And the 2box hihat by it self still wont calibrate, just an open hihat sound. When I use Your box it works like it should with my vh-12 though.
Then it is a pretty sure bet the 2Box Hi Hat has gone bad. I would arrange for a replacement or return it for a refund if that is still possible.