News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

What about these cymbals with 2box?

Started by westerlu77, January 14, 2011, 12:44:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edtc

i  saw these too.. seems like they are  designed to work with their own electroacoustic module .  These are not  piezo triggers , i ve read that they have 2 microphones inside and that they sound like cymbals , but a lot quieter ...

"The AE Cymbal is not a sample trigger device. Instead, it's an actual cymbal, and plays like one, but at reduced volume levels, utilizing a dual microphone and DSP engine to amplify and model the cymbal's output."

you can read more here:
http://en.audiofanzine.com/gen16/news/

puttenvr

If you want to merge e-drums (2box ofcourse) with acoustic cymbals and real cymbals are too loud, perhaps these GEN 16 cymbals are an option. As edtc stated, these cymbals are no triggers, and I wonder if they work with any e-drum module. They are a kind of hybrid electric-acoustic cymbals. Just normal cymbals with many holes (which cause the reduction of noise) and a microphone beneath the cup. A mixer is needed for additional tone control.

Unfortunately Zildjian has a VST-i plug in with samples under the same name GEN-16
But it's not meant to trigger them with the cymbals
Confusing ...

nonoduweb

Yes we could send the sound of these cymbals into the input line of the module. That would allow to have more memory by removing the cymbals samples, and to have a realistic touch. But they have to be very silent.

edtc

.. its funny that Paiste (made in switzezland ) did not have the idea to make these "gruyere like" cymbals ...

:rock:

Evy

hmmm...that little video doesn't show much.  INteresting tho.  So I don't quite get it.  Can you play them without some sort of amplifier, do they need to be plugged in?  Do the holes make them really flimsy and easy to bend? (I like to think they thought of that)  I guess I can google them..

Evy

Hmmm...the sound is leaving a little to be desired(not that a cheap video helps).  The feel would be very good.  Only five inputs?  If they are putting together a dedicated system you'd think they would expand on that..future perhaps.  Because they are real cymbals full of holes I'm guessing 2Box still sounds better.  Would like to try them out for sure.

edtc

Evy

speaking of cheesy sound...they could double as a cheese grater!!!

westerlu77

I was not either convinced about the sound I heard from a demo from Namm 2011. But I can imagine that the feel will probably be one of the best on market.

Evy

mix that design with 2box sounds...oh ya.... ;D

roel

Quote from: Evy on January 15, 2011, 12:32:37 AM
mix that design with 2box sounds...oh ya.... ;D

I wonder if they will work with the 2box module but it would be cool...

Evy

they won't work because they aren't triggers, they work as actual cymbals that have a built in mic and outboard sound processor.  The big plus--if you could line it into the 2box modual--is having a real hihat with an ekit.

puttenvr

and

Around 750 - 950 dollar for the system