News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Can't hear Ghost notes/soft touch

Started by zappa, November 21, 2016, 08:31:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zappa

Hi,

I really hope this is the right forum section to write this.

When I softly/ghost hit ANY mesh head (snare, tam, floor) I can't hear anything. I need to hit (relatively) hard in order to hear.
Is there anything I can do in order to fix that? again-it's only when I hit softly but I think I should be able to hear even in that level of low power I apply.

Would really appreciate any assistance on this.

Thank you!

welshsteve

First up, make sure your trig settings are optimum for your playing so select Snare pad in unit trig settings. Adjust gain so that hardest hits peak at 0db (manual says -3 but I prefer 0db) then adjust threashold so that softest hits trigger but just below that they do not. For me, NORM curve is okay but when playing live with a band setting it to "POS1" makes ghost notes much clearer. It's like putting a compressor on an actual Snare drum, but your compressing the trigger curve rather than the audio.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

zappa

Thank you welshsteve for your reply.
I will check this today and will see if this solve the issue.

Regards.

sn47som

For best results, make sure too that your threshold setting is as low as possible (-48)

welshsteve

That would certainly give you the most expressive dynamics, however, you might find some cross talk issues. Especially live with other instruments (bass guitar for example) playing nearby. But chances are you'd be okay if its only you playing in a room.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!