News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Lots of surprises!

Started by nathanotis, May 22, 2014, 05:36:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nathanotis

As I mentioned in another thread, I brought my Drumit5 home tonight. During set up I was met with a couple challenges, and a handful of surprises...

Challenges:
1. Bass drum mounting angle is off (this is being discussed in another thread)
2. Some threaded holes are paint filled... "rethreading" with the provided screw overcomes this one.

Surprises:
1. Rubber heads. I thought these things came with mesh and rubber was an option?!
2. Hi-hat = 1 pad... I always thought it was 2 working in tandem.

I know there are more in each category, and not all of them were unpleasant, but it's late and I'm tired. We can talk more tomorrow.

mcrackins

I had the same issue with the paint buildup in mount screws holes. I let 2box know about it and they passed on the info to the manufacturer.

I didn't mind the rubber pads, but they lacked a natural feel for me. I switched all the heads to the 682 Mesh Heads...much better in my opinion.

You're not alone on the Hi-Hat. I was expecting 2 pads as well. What really confused me was mounting it onto my own stand. The mount assembly was backwards, but I couldn't figure it out for the life of me until I posted the question on here.

Have fun!

fulrmr

Hmm...not sure I understand the "2pad HH thing. These kits have never had that feature and I've never seen or heard anything to make me think otherwise. Interesting.  ???

That said...I prefer the controller box mod to the hat pad itself.

If you are in the states....rubber is the factory default with mesh as an extra purchase option. Probly lots to do with the Roland Patent.

nathanotis

Quote from: fulrmr on May 22, 2014, 08:28:54 AM
Hmm...not sure I understand the "2pad HH thing. These kits have never had that feature and I've never seen or heard anything to make me think otherwise. Interesting.  ???

That said...I prefer the controller box mod to the hat pad itself.

If you are in the states....rubber is the factory default with mesh as an extra purchase option. Probly lots to do with the Roland Patent.

You know... I guess I've never seen anything to suggest there should be a 2 pad hat set up... you know what happens when you assume.

Would you elaborate on "the controller box mod"?

After looking around, I'm going 682 heads.

fulrmr

Quote from: nathanotis on May 22, 2014, 01:23:37 PM
You know... I guess I've never seen anything to suggest there should be a 2 pad hat set up... you know what happens when you assume.

The controller box was first built by Manfred and when he stopped offering them Jman now builds and sells them. You can DIY them from the stock hat by disassembling the pad and removing the the controller parts & magnet....putting them in a project box and itegrating them into your favorite stand at the foot pedal. Frankly it's much easier to just pick one up from Jman. Basically once fitting this to your stand...you can use whatever 2z cymbal pad you prefer for your hats. There's a thread for this in the DIY and the for sale/wanted forum. Jman also sells a 32gig card extender mod to expand the 2Box modules memory...this is very a simple mod...even if you've never done any DIY.

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=897.0

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1890.0

http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php?topic=1445.0

mcrackins

Quote from: nathanotis on May 22, 2014, 01:23:37 PM

Make sure you tell 682 that the heads are for a 2box kit. They said they fixed the issue with the tom heads not fitting, but I would mention it in your order that they are for 2box drums.

I really love the 682 heads compared to the rubber pads

nathanotis

Add to challenges: these cables are really short! Seems I'm in the market for cables and heads.

Murgen

Quote from: nathanotis on May 23, 2014, 01:56:45 AM
Add to challenges: these cables are really short! Seems I'm in the market for cables and heads.

Short? They in different lengths but I never experienced them as short, except the shortest one, :)

I used different setups with module of left and right, right handed player. Module is on the left now and I use the original wires. Tom 3 and 4 and the Ride are on the right side of the kit. No issue.

So, my question is, what setup are to trying to wire?
--------
2Box Drumit 5 Mk2 since 2012

nathanotis

Quote from: Murgen on May 23, 2014, 07:01:40 AM
Short? They in different lengths but I never experienced them as short, except the shortest one, :)

I used different setups with module of left and right, right handed player. Module is on the left now and I use the original wires. Tom 3 and 4 and the Ride are on the right side of the kit. No issue.

So, my question is, what setup are to trying to wire?

I'm running something very much like what you described. I guess I would agree that none of the cables are "too short", but none of them provide enough slack that I felt compelled to Velcro wrap them to the rack. I'm not entirely certain I would be able to route most of them along the rack, anyway. The cables seem a bit cheap, too... I was expecting something a bit more "pro".

I've been resisting the urge to make comparisons to Roland's offerings, but it bears mentioning that the v-drums shone brightly in areas where the drumit5 shines less so.  But then, Roland asks $7k for their product... and I truly do enjoy the feel of playing the Orange monster. And the sounds!

Murgen

Quote from: nathanotis on May 23, 2014, 07:52:04 PM
I'm running something very much like what you described. I guess I would agree that none of the cables are "too short", but none of them provide enough slack that I felt compelled to Velcro wrap them to the rack. I'm not entirely certain I would be able to route most of them along the rack, anyway. The cables seem a bit cheap, too... I was expecting something a bit more "pro".

I've been resisting the urge to make comparisons to Roland's offerings, but it bears mentioning that the v-drums shone brightly in areas where the drumit5 shines less so.  But then, Roland asks $7k for their product... and I truly do enjoy the feel of playing the Orange monster. And the sounds!

It is like comparing German cars to French cars. German cars are spot on and the French ... But driving a Citroen is so comfortable :)

I do understand, in the past 2 years I made many changes like Gen16 cymbals because the 2Box hihat and me did not go together too well. I put in extra bars to fixate the kick and have space for the modules and buttkicker amp. And of course the famous external SD modification.
--------

nathanotis

Thanks, by the way, for recommending that I advise 682drums this purchase is for 2box. I don't know if you've visited their site lately, but they have split it up into brand-specific sections. I clicked about 3 times and filled out a small form, now a full set of 2box specific heads is on it's way to my house!

Had it been more simple, I might have nodded off.

Murgen

I will check, I'm running some tests with different beaters. Use the orange wooden Pearl beater now to see how the mesh keeps up. Removed the Falam because of the rebound.
--------

mcrackins

Quote from: nathanotis on May 24, 2014, 04:08:46 PM
Thanks, by the way, for recommending that I advise 682drums this purchase is for 2box. I don't know if you've visited their site lately, but they have split it up into brand-specific sections. I clicked about 3 times and filled out a small form, now a full set of 2box specific heads is on it's way to my house!

Had it been more simple, I might have nodded off.

The mesh set is such a great deal. $85 and $4.95 for shipping. Shipping for me was crazy fast. I ordered and it came 4 days later from Holland to Western Canada.