News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 1.11 released

Started by Louis, June 14, 2011, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Quote from: Jman on July 16, 2011, 03:03:06 AM
I just generated a couple new MIDI sequences from version 1.12 and the velocities go from loudest to softest whereas before it was softest to loudest.... is that on purpose?

Hi Jman, good to hear that the updates work well. Yes, I changed the order in generated midi files from loudest to softest; that makes it in certain use cases easier to get an as loud as possible recording, which will help in getting higher quality dsnd files.

Slap the drummer

Thanks Louis, nice one  :)

And great idea going from loud to soft, easier to check the gap between hits will be long enough
as well.

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on July 18, 2011, 10:53:36 AM
Thanks Louis, nice one  :)

And great idea going from loud to soft, easier to check the gap between hits will be long enough
as well.
Yup, it makes it that much easier as you can tell right from the first hit about volume peaks and length of sample ..... I just have to make a new slew of MIDI's now ;D
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

logihack

the new version works great form me...now i can work in logic - its faster than solo...one sample in 3min  :rock:

digitalDrummer

Anyone else having trouble running DSoundTool in Windows. I have it running fine on my Mac, but can't get it going on my Win 7 laptop (where all my VSTs reside!).
On the mac, it launches straight from the web link, but won't do that on PC, neither will it instal from the zipped folder.
Any suggestions?

Jman

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 17, 2011, 01:56:00 AM
Anyone else having trouble running DSoundTool in Windows. I have it running fine on my Mac, but can't get it going on my Win 7 laptop (where all my VSTs reside!).
On the mac, it launches straight from the web link, but won't do that on PC, neither will it instal from the zipped folder.
Any suggestions?
I'm on Win 7 ... On the zip folder I right clicked the first time, extract all. Then from the extracted folder ... double click the Windows Batch file and it opens for me. Might wanna check that you have the Java plugin enabled in your browser.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

digitalDrummer

Quote from: Jman on August 17, 2011, 03:23:03 AM
Might wanna check that you have the Java plugin enabled in your browser.
Thanks Jerry, you nailed it in one! Updated Java and installed like a dream.

edcito

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 17, 2011, 01:56:00 AM
Any suggestions?
Why do you keep the pc? ditch it now;D

digitalDrummer

Quote from: edcito on August 17, 2011, 05:41:49 AM
Why do you keep the pc? ditch it now;D
Lucky I didn't! The hard drive on my Mac died last week. And three months ago, the main board had to be replaced as well. So much for Macs being dependable! That said, the service was excellent.

edcito

Quote from: digitalDrummer on August 17, 2011, 05:45:41 AM
Lucky I didn't! The hard drive on my Mac died last week. And three months ago, the main board had to be replaced as well. So much for Macs being dependable! That said, the service was excellent.

Haha, yeah I agree, hardware-wise macs are a rip-off..... not even the most expensive mac (laptop) has a HDMI output! whereas a $500 asus has even 3g modem...
But in the software and plug and play arena, don't tell me it's not amazing your audio device is recognised instantly by the mac?
And don't get me started with the trackpads on a pc..... :patbat2box:

Manfred

Hello,

i'm trying to create my first DSNDs out of the NDK sample library but i get error messages from DSoundtool:

"File 441_sn12wbop_stxl_ord_043.wav has unsupported format; must be 44,1kHz, mono or stereo, 16 or 24 bits"

All the samples have been converted to 44100Hz but i still get this message. So i checked the properties of the file with Wavosaur:

Wavosaur statistics and informations

------------------------------------

General information:

Sample name:      Z:\home\nj\NDK\...\ord\441\441_sn12wbop_stxl_ord_043.wav

Channel number:      2

Sample number:      119247

Total duration:      00:00:02:704

Frequency:      44100Hz

Bits per sample:   24

Format:         PCM

Selection:

Selection start:   0

Selection end:      0

Delta:         1

No loop points

No marker points

No automation points
------------------------------------

So it is 44,1kHz, Stereo and 24bit but still doesn't work. Any ideas?

Regards, Manfred

Deve Loper

Did you try the DrumIt Five Editor?
It swallows all sample rates, 8, 16 or 24 bits, mono or stereo.
Just (so far) only single zone.

Deve.

Manfred

Hi,

yes, but as you already said it can only do single zone sounds. And it does some normalizing but only for the first sample. Thats a bit weird. To get a uniform distribution over the dynamic range you need to edit each sample with a wav-editor prior creating a sound. Otherwise it looks like this:

I know that there is some progress with the 2Box editor but so far it is a bit laborious. At least the sound editor, the kit editor is a nice tool to rearrange the kits.

So anybody an idea why DSoundtool doesn't like my wav files? They were converted from 48kHz to 44.1kHz with a small script and SoX (http://sox.sourceforge.net/) by the way.

Regards, Manfred

Manfred

Okay, i found the answer in the FAQ at the SoX homepage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question:

Why can't this wav file (with more than 2 channels or bit-depth more than 16) that I created with SoX be read by other programs?

Answer:

Unfortunately, there are 2 variants of the WAV-file standard for such files: an unofficial one, and the official one from Microsoft. SoX can read such files regardless of which standard they conform to, but some applications can cope with only one of the two variants. By default, SoX creates such files according to the official standard; to create such a wav file that conforms to the unofficial standard, `-t wavpcm' must be given before the name of the output file.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

So adding the option "-t wavpcm" to my small script solved the problem. Obviously DSoundtool wants what they call "unofficial standard". Anyway, converting a whole directory and creating the DSND file is now done in less than 3 minutes  :)

Regards, Manfred

Louis

Hi Manfred,

Sorry for the trouble it took you to do the conversion, I had no idea that there were two different wave formats. I will have a look into this before next DSoundTool release (2box is again ahead of me with OS 1.20 vs. DSoundTool 1.11)

I have used a tool called r8brain, http://www.voxengo.com/product/r8brain/ to convert wave files from 48 KHz to 44.1 KHz. It support converting all files in a directory (and sub-directories too, I think) and it worked fine.

Best regards,

Louis