News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 1.11 released

Started by Louis, June 14, 2011, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louis

Some issues were raised on this forum on DSoundTool; in summary:
- out of memory problems
- generated midi files were not "dynamic" enough (they contained too few hard hits and soft hits)
- sometimes the end of samples were not correctly detected and cut off too early when creating a dsnd from a single wave file

I have tried to address these issues in the new release. I must confess that I have not been able to reproduce the last problem, but I have adjusted some parameters so hopefully this has improved. Please let me know if you still have problems.

The memory problem is hard to address in general. If you still encounter out-of-memory problems, please follow the instructions on http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/download.html

Jman

Thanks for working on those improvements Louis. Without your tool I wouldn't have all the new dsnd's in the module that I now have. I only did a Snare drum and Snare rimshot dsnd from the generated MIDI sequence so far from the new 1.1 version and that came out very nice ... I'll test it on some cymbals next time I have some time ... thanks again... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

I still haven't tested out any cymbals with long sustain, but I have done some toms, and this version does not cut the tails off of the sounds when converting the all wavs in one file generated from the MIDI sequence .... works great. And I do think the velocity dynamics are better IMO .... Great job Louis!

Louis

Quote from: Jman on June 16, 2011, 05:44:58 AM
I still haven't tested out any cymbals with long sustain, but I have done some toms, and this version does not cut the tails off of the sounds when converting the all wavs in one file generated from the MIDI sequence .... works great. And I do think the velocity dynamics are better IMO .... Great job Louis!

Thank you for this feedback Jman! Sounds encouraging, but I think I'll leave the champaign bottle in the freezer a bit longer till I hear something about cymbal results.

logihack

Louis, thank you for this...i dont have memory problem anymore and the dynamics is better...but i still have problems with tails of the sound...if i look the velocity layers the damaged sample is always around 350 - the file is shorter...is there any possibility to have a delete option in that velocity layer window - im talking about 1.12 version ;) ...
Jman its strange that you had(have) that problem just with cymbals...in my case i get that bad sample, no mater how long(big)the sound is

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Louis on June 16, 2011, 07:05:26 AM
Thank you for this feedback Jman! Sounds encouraging, but I think I'll leave the champaign bottle in the freezer a bit longer till I hear something about cymbal results.

Thank you Louis, nice one !   :)

Well I just tried a 20in istanbul ride from the C&V pack, and after making the .dsnd file, I split it back out and then compared with
the original SD output (loudest sample).  Spot on - the .dsnd file ends at exactly the point the original fades to zero.
But that's only 7.7 seconds...... er, I thought it wd be longer.  I'll find a longer one later tonight.

Hey Jman - any thoughts on which cymbal in here has a truly long sustain ?

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on June 16, 2011, 01:11:04 PM
Thank you Louis, nice one !   :)

Well I just tried a 20in istanbul ride from the C&V pack, and after making the .dsnd file, I split it back out and then compared with
the original SD output (loudest sample).  Spot on - the .dsnd file ends at exactly the point the original fades to zero.
But that's only 7.7 seconds...... er, I thought it wd be longer.  I'll find a longer one later tonight.

Hey Jman - any thoughts on which cymbal in here has a truly long sustain ?
1st splash I did, cut off the tails .... strange ... compared it split out and a definite difference. Split out it just dies naturally.

C&V has some rides with 12 second or so samples ...  20" Z K heavy for example...

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Jman on June 16, 2011, 01:44:42 PM
... compared it split out and a definite difference. Split out it just dies naturally.

Ahh - I didn't try actually playing the file I made !
Do you mean that if you split the .dsnd file out it looks ok, but when you play back through the module
you can hear it cut ? ?

I know that I had the same problem originally but now I can't remember all the ins and outs  :P

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on June 16, 2011, 04:30:13 PM
Ahh - I didn't try actually playing the file I made !
Do you mean that if you split the .dsnd file out it looks ok, but when you play back through the module
you can hear it cut ? ?

I know that I had the same problem originally but now I can't remember all the ins and outs  :P

If I play the multi hit single WAV file it is fine .... if I convert the file to dsnd and listen to it either in DSoundtool or the drum module the tail is chopped off somewhat premature...

Louis

Ok, so it seems that version 1.11 is an improvement but that not all problems have been solved. I will have a more thorough look at this when I have the time, with a little bit luck next week and provide a new fix. Thank you all for valuable feedback so far!

It would be great if you could mail me (preferably not too big) examples of failing wav files to info (at) shortestpath.se, or share them somehow in some place on the internet. Logihack, I am particularly interested in your problem...

Jman

I cranked out dsnds today for a full Gretsch kit ... toms, snare, kick, and also a crash with long sustain .... everything came out very nice with the new MIDI sequences and the new 1.1 version in general (no tails chopped off to the ear anyway... ) .... thinking back on the splash I built the other night it was a MIDI multi hit file that I had created in the last version of DSoundTool and then converted it to dsnd with the latest version  .... I would not think that would make a dif... but like I say all dsnds came out nice today ... So, yes you can say that this version is a big improvement .... I'll have to do a few more cymbals just to double check, but a noticable improvement for sure... good work Louis!

Slap the drummer

I've made a few more rides and crashes now as well, including the heavy ride Jman mentioned,
and no problems that I can hear.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: logihack on June 16, 2011, 08:35:34 AM
Louis, thank you for this...i dont have memory problem anymore and the dynamics is better...but i still have problems with tails of the sound...if i look the velocity layers the damaged sample is always around 350 - the file is shorter...is there any possibility to have a delete option in that velocity layer window - im talking about 1.12 version ;) ...

Hi Logihack
Not sure but are you saying that only one sample out of a file is getting chopped?

I have noticed that in EZplayer the end of the midi file can be a problem, in that it loops back to the start immediately.....
so I have seen in Sound Forge where the last sample gets chopped by the start of the loop and the first very quiet sample,
with a tiny gap between.  I did try adding extra silence to the end of the midi but EZp seemed to ignore it.

Anyway, just a suggestion..........

(So there's no confusion, for me the orig problem was that every note was getting chopped).

logihack

Quote from: Slap the drummer on June 17, 2011, 09:46:32 AM
Hi Logihack
Not sure but are you saying that only one sample out of a file is getting chopped?

I have noticed that in EZplayer the end of the midi file can be a problem, in that it loops back to the start immediately.....
so I have seen in Sound Forge where the last sample gets chopped by the start of the loop and the first very quiet sample,
with a tiny gap between.  I did try adding extra silence to the end of the midi but EZp seemed to ignore it.

Anyway, just a suggestion..........

(So there's no confusion, for me the orig problem was that every note was getting chopped).
yes just one file is faulty...but i must tell, that i work in logic 8, since im on mac and i think sound forge is for windows only...but i think if have midi file just with 30 samples, everything is ok...i should test this more, but time is not on my side these days...i will report tomorrow, about how this sounds are on big PA...i have concert today and its a first time with 2box module  :patbat2box:

Jman

Yeah, too bad you can't set EZ Player so that it stops at the end of the MIDI sequence (at least I never found that as an auto option?) On the files I've done with 99 hits, I have to watch the end of the recording real close and stop it on time! That is one thing nice about splitting out the multi hits to individuals ..... you can always just delete the extra hits.