News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSoundTool 1.11 released

Started by Louis, June 14, 2011, 09:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deve Loper

Hi. Must be something weird with your wav files you dropped. Depending on the loudest layer abs level, all layers get amplified so the loudest layer is normalized. So orig -5 -9 -13 will become 0 -4 -8.
Test with the birch sounds on our web.
Before dropping files you need not normalize any of them.
Deve.

Manfred

Hi Deve,

thanks for the explanation. I will try with the Birch files on your web page.

@Louis

no problem at all since i know now how to prepare the wav files  :D

But i have another question: When opening a DSND file and klick on one of the zones i get a table with information about each layer. Can you please tell me what the range for the values "Velocity" and "Max volume" is.

For velocity i thought it is 0 to 360 as described in the "Advanced topics" of your online documentation. But i opened a sound file which i created with SD2.0 samples and i saw a negative velocity value:

I can't imagine what a negative velocity is. Is there an explanation or is it a bug?

Second question is the range for the volume. Looking at at the values of several files the maximum seems to be 32768. That looks like 16bit including 1 bit for sign. Is this always the range for the volume no matter if i use 16bit or 24bit samples to create the sounds?

Thanks for your help,

Manfred

Louis

Quote from: Manfred on October 03, 2011, 10:48:29 AM

But i have another question: When opening a DSND file and klick on one of the zones i get a table with information about each layer. Can you please tell me what the range for the values "Velocity" and "Max volume" is.

For velocity i thought it is 0 to 360 as described in the "Advanced topics" of your online documentation. But i opened a sound file which i created with SD2.0 samples and i saw a negative velocity value:

I can't imagine what a negative velocity is. Is there an explanation or is it a bug?

Second question is the range for the volume. Looking at at the values of several files the maximum seems to be 32768. That looks like 16bit including 1 bit for sign. Is this always the range for the volume no matter if i use 16bit or 24bit samples to create the sounds?

Question 1: when I reversed-engineered the dsnd file format I did not know exactly how to interpret the velocity values. Since I could only find samples within a range of 360 I took 360 as maximum and 0 as minimum. But I should have used 511 as maximum. In order to preserve backward compatibility, I extended the range to -151 ... 360, but I forgot to update the manual. Very soft hits can have negative velocities.

Question 2: yes, DSoundTool normalizes volumes to 16-bit values, so 32768 (= abs(-32768) for binary number afficionados) is the maximum even for 24-bit samples.

Manfred

Hi Louis,

thanks for your reply! Interesting to see that a lot of factory sounds are using mostly the upper half of the velocity range. At least the files i opened have very few layers with velocities below 100. But while drumming the played volume of the samples is a function of the trigger inputs. By the way the AD-Converters at the trigger inputs (ADC78H90) have a resolution of 12 bit.

I hope i'm not bothering you but i have another question regarding the naming of zones when opening a DSND file. As example a screenshot of the hihat file Swiss Med12:

So the zones are named by the zone number (3, 8 and 9) followed by the description. Is the description just a description stored in the file or does it mean anything? I'm asking because the bow sounds have "closed", "10", "35" and "95" in its name. But i read somewhere that the distribution between closed and open is uniform just depending on the number of halfopen levels.

At the Groove15 hihat there is a zone called "Zone 8: bow 25 open". But zone 8 is edge. Thats why i guess it is just a description.

Regards, Manfred

PS. And the mapping of the zones obviously has changed since the last OS update. At my kit the bow of the hihat is now displayed as zone 4 and not 3 anymore. And the heads of snare and toms are now zone 1....

Louis

Hi Manfred,

I forgot to mention: you can consider the velocity as a logarithmic number; for example the difference between velocity 0 and 100 is very small, but the difference between 260 and 360 is huge.

Regarding the names of the zones: you are right, the zone number is the (OS 1.1 based) zone number. The description is stored in the dsnd file, and is obviously not always correct, but it has no impact whatsoever on how the sounds are played. Only the zone number and (for hihat) the order in which the zones are listed is of importance.

I also noticed that the zone numbers have changed in OS 1.20. I don't know why.

Best regards,

Louis

Manfred

Hi,

thanks again for the explanation. Regarding the order of the hihat sounds the "Swiss SE 14" seems to be a kind of misfit. There it starts with foot splashes whereas the other files have foot splashes at the end of the file.

Best Regards,

Manfred

PS. No more questions for today  :)

dancebander

Hi!
Why is DSoundtool piching up the dsnd files when the files have been split?

>:(
Best Regards
dancebander

digitalDrummer

Is it possible to delete a single layer from a DSND file with Dsoundtool? I have brewed a snare, but level 16 has an off noise. How would I delete just that layer?

twisted.mellow

Good point Allan, I've tried that too. It doesn't appear so... :-\

dancebander

Hi !
I you want to delete a singel layer in DSoundtool do like this :
Split up the file and import the samples into 2box orginal editor.
Delete the layers and save as a DSND file and play......

/Dancebander

digitalDrummer

Just one more thing. When you delete a layer, you also have to delete the file containing the velocity information, otherwise the app looks for the missing layer.

digitalDrummer

I gather there's a new version of DsoundTool about to be released. Any chance that will have the ability to delete a single layer?

Rider

lucky folks that at least got it to work!! i never got past the memory not enough error..

Lundin

Hmm i used Lustar's excellent converter program tonight and even though it were blazing fast i got some "Out of memory" errors in Dsoundtool 1.12 but on cymbals and hihats only seems.. i got some crashes and a ride converted though.

I've also read about Java not giving memory back to the host until the program is closed.. and it wen't up to 1GB of RAM in total.. is there a limit how much RAM Java can handle?

I'm stoked by Lustar's program anyhow.. I thought i would be able to go to the gym in between the converter doing it's job... but i didn't even get the time to put on my shoes before it were finished :D

EDIT: Memory issue solved I got some help from Lustar about the memory-switch in Dsoundtool.bat.
The Cymbals alone ( converting the Avatar standard kit) wanted 3.4GB of RAM so the switch

start javaw -Xmx10240M -Xms1024M -jar "dsoundtool.jar"

actually did the trick

Rider

i got an issue building hats, no matter in wich order i use the .wav files regarding open levels , i always get an open sound when the hats are closed. only one hat seems to work its the edge but that is always closed when the hats are open too!!! and the only thing that works right its the chick  :P