News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSND files from Superior Drummer

Started by Slap the drummer, May 20, 2011, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jman

By the way ... I have bounced everything to 24Bit .... I just like the idea of having the WAVS in the highest quality I have stored on the PC .... But I have tested the results bouncing to 24 or bouncing to 16Bit .... the resulting dsnds are "IDENTICAL" So at present just for building dsnds there really isn't an advantage I can see using 24Bit as they get converted to 16Bit in the dsnds anyway.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Jman

Evil Drums is the next expansion I have on the way .... we'll see how that one works ;D

logihack

Quote from: Jman on May 27, 2011, 06:33:06 AM
I've been pretty happy with several sets of toms, a few snares, and one HH I've built so far. The tails getting cut off the individual hits as I mentioned above has rendered my cymbals unusable so far. I have been going through the presets and using kits/instruments with the presets .... One thing I do when recording any toms or kicks is turn the bottom snare wire OFF before recording those.... at least so far, as I didn't like the resulting sound on the first few toms or kicks I did with that on ... I also check the panning in the mixer and pan the way I have things set up before recording.... I've recorded with all bleeds on ... bleeds off ... I'm still learning, but definitely not sorry about going this route. Once I can get dsnds with the waves in tact I know it can be killer .... I know this especially because of the NDK dsnds I have already built previously where the WAVs did not get cut short in the dsnds.

i also have a problems with tails of the samples...cut off is always there at higher velocity layers...that sample(its always just one) is shorter and the file size is smaller than others are...the sounds are useless for me, with such an "error"
i also have not enough memory problem on my both apple computers...i tried with firewall off, but no difference here

Manfred

Quote from: logihack on June 03, 2011, 08:40:33 AM
i also have a problems with tails of the samples...

Hi,

are you sure that the time between two triggers/samples at your MIDI-file is long enough? If you create the Midi-file with dsoundtool you can set this time.

Regards, Manfred

logihack

Quote from: Manfred on June 03, 2011, 02:29:13 PM
Hi,

are you sure that the time between two triggers/samples at your MIDI-file is long enough? If you create the Midi-file with dsoundtool you can set this time.

Regards, Manfred

yes the time between samples was long enough...i think 15 sec. is enough for snare without effects on

Jman

Yeah, I have found the best results by separating those MIDI performances into individual one hit waves. Lots of audio programs have tools that visually and sonicly will take the multi hit single WAV file and create regions that you can save. Nero 10 was the first program I used .... now I am using Sound Forge since I prefer the way it names and saves files ... A very significant difference building the dsnd from those individual hit files.... my cymbals and other instruments are soooooooo much better, sustain that seems to last forever. You basically get back what you put in, very good results. I'm very pleased with the results now.... I'm definitely getting some excellent dsnds from SD 2.0

Slap the drummer

MIDI File

I've now made a midi file for use with SD2.0.  It has 99 hits running in an even spread
from v=1 to v=127 (ie min to max).

It has 13 second gaps between hits, so you can run it at half or double speed in EZplayer
depending on what you're recording.

Got nowhere to post it, but if you PM me I'll send you a copy.  It's 1kb.

Cheers

Jman

Quote from: Slap the drummer on June 05, 2011, 06:16:07 PM
MIDI File

I've now made a midi file for use with SD2.0.  It has 99 hits running in an even spread
from v=1 to v=127 (ie min to max).

It has 13 second gaps between hits, so you can run it at half or double speed in EZplayer
depending on what you're recording.

Got nowhere to post it, but if you PM me I'll send you a copy.  It's 1kb.

Cheers
Slap, I can put it on my FTP so people can download from there if you like .... J

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Jman on June 05, 2011, 07:40:57 PM
Slap, I can put it on my FTP so people can download from there if you like .... J

Yes please -

if you got the space for it  ;)

Jman

Baby Samus

Once the midi file is playing in EZPlayer (triggering the samples from superior drummer 2.0) how does one output that and record it to a .wav file?

Jman

Quote from: Baby Samus on June 08, 2011, 02:31:37 AM
Once the midi file is playing in EZPlayer (triggering the samples from superior drummer 2.0) how does one output that and record it to a .wav file?
Sorry if I am backing up from where you are at... not sure....

So, once you right click the instrument you want to record and you have everything set the way you want it ... ie, mixer settings, presets you want ... and all the rest, pick your midi file in EZplayer,  play it for a second or 2 if you want to be sure it plays ... then stop it.

Click the learn button (bottom right corner in Toontrack Solo), push the play button in EZ Player ... then stop EZ player. Go to Toontrack Solo .... Bounce, click Bounce Through Mixer ... and either checkmark all Bleed on ... or uncheck it, depending on whether you want it or not .... Then click Record, now push Play in EZ Player.  when you get the number of hits you want ... Stop EZ Player and Stop the recording in Toontrack Bounce .... Next you push the Bounce Button and follow the leads ... create your file... Make sure you remember where you put it ... it will probably be just labeled ... in out .... (no matter what I label the WAV file in the Bounce window it always comes out as "in out In Out" where I saved it) I relabel that afterward.

Next you can use DSoundtool to build a dsnd from that Multi Hit WAV .... for me, I now go a step further ... especially important for Cymbals or drums with long sustained resonance .... I use a program and Extract Regions so all the individual hits are separated .... then use DSoundtool to build all the separate hits to a dsnd.

This all sounds like a big complicated process, but actually after building a few dsnds it is like a habit on an assembly line .... click, stop, check, click ... label, opn DSndtl ... etc.... it's second nature very quickly....

Slap the drummer

Quote from: Jman on June 08, 2011, 03:17:41 AM

This all sounds like a big complicated process, but actually after building a few dsnds it is like a habit on an assembly line .... click, stop, check, click ... label, opn DSndtl ... etc.... it's second nature very quickly....

Right on !  And once you hear the sounds you've made coming back at you from the kit, you won't be thinking that's a load
of hassle - you'll be thinking,
let's get making some MORE of them  :drum3:

Baby Samus

Thanks Jman - that worked but instead of one snare .wav file in the bounce folder, it recorded the whole kit and seperate .wav files for each kit piece, even though only the snare is being triggered.  I tried muting channels in the mixer and turning all the bleed off, I can't see any setting that stops this?  Any ideas?

Jman

Quote from: Baby Samus on June 08, 2011, 10:00:40 PM
Thanks Jman - that worked but instead of one snare .wav file in the bounce folder, it recorded the whole kit and seperate .wav files for each kit piece, even though only the snare is being triggered.  I tried muting channels in the mixer and turning all the bleed off, I can't see any setting that stops this?  Any ideas?

Don't forget to Check the Bounce through Mixer box.... that one is important, otherwise you get a bunch of separate files like you describe ... if you check Bounce through Mixer you get one Stereo Multi hit WAV.