News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSND files from Superior Drummer

Started by Slap the drummer, May 20, 2011, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SHwoKing

Thanks Louis. It seems easy enough and well explained to me.. When i'll get my hand on SD, i will use this as a starting point and give feedback on how it goes  ;)

Jman

I probably should have looked through this entire thread before posting because I think we have discussed this before, but here we go anyways ;) Not every expansion, but on many of the SD2 snares the upper velocity layers that are triggered on the Head are actually rimshots. I do not like having the rimshot sound at all on the head. so .... I have gone back and split out my files in the past to individual hits and then deleted those rimshots. I did some experimenting today and by going to the mapping page and reducing the max velocity on the snare head (left slider) you can eliminate those rimshots. The velocity that the rimshot samples come in at varies, so you need to reduce it, test it by playing your MIDI file and repeat if necessary. As an example, on one snare I reduced to 117 Max velocity but on another the rimshots started from above 105, so I had to reduce that one to 105 Max vel.
I have found I needed to raise the Master Volume sliders as the MIDI will start at a lower volume. And as an example if I started out with a 98 hit MIDI file my resulting WAV file only contained 85 hits, because of the missing top velocities, but the process is much faster than manually eliminating those Rimshot sounds on the head, if you are like me and that is what you prefer. J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

Devious123

Quote from: logihack on September 19, 2011, 07:50:46 AM
no, you cant do it just with expansion pack...it doesnt work without sd2 - the engine

Hi sorry this is a old thread, but Google lets you find anything. I just got doing the 16 GB mod (accidentally bought the 16 GB cable) I just want to confirm that using this method will allow me to individual DSND files of individual parts of the kit, with high sample sizes. I don't currently have SD 2.0, but i do have toontracks, EZdrummer 2.0. Is it correct that I couldn't do this method with EZdrummer 2.0? I'm kind of new trying to get this all figured out. Is there a wikipedia with all this information on doing all this stuff. Seems like having it all spread out in forums is kind of a pain.

Jman

Quote from: Devious123 on May 03, 2015, 03:14:30 PM
Hi sorry this is a old thread, but Google lets you find anything. I just got doing the 16 GB mod (accidentally bought the 16 GB cable) I just want to confirm that using this method will allow me to individual DSND files of individual parts of the kit, with high sample sizes. I don't currently have SD 2.0, but i do have toontracks, EZdrummer 2.0. Is it correct that I couldn't do this method with EZdrummer 2.0? I'm kind of new trying to get this all figured out. Is there a wikipedia with all this information on doing all this stuff. Seems like having it all spread out in forums is kind of a pain.

First, just because the extender cable says 16GB doesn't mean it won't work for 32GB cards. Many of them have that label and work for 32GB cards.

Second, I strongly advise looking into SDSE for converting dsnds: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1544.0.html

Devious123

When i put the 32 GB card in it says "fat_s_0512_c_16k, after taking a real long time to boot. The card is a Sanddisk Extreme hd video, which from what i gathered from other threads maybe juck. It is a card i have had for at least a year. If it boots with the card does that mean the cable is at least good?

Jman

Quote from: Devious123 on May 03, 2015, 06:13:51 PM
When i put the 32 GB card in it says "fat_s_0512_c_16k, after taking a real long time to boot. The card is a Sanddisk Extreme hd video, which from what i gathered from other threads maybe juck. It is a card i have had for at least a year. If it boots with the card does that mean the cable is at least good?

Yeah, you will prolly want to get a compatible card, because we have had some bad experiences with that model. But the error you are getting is most likely because your card is not formatted correctly. It looks like your card is formatted to 16K cluster size and should be formatted to 32K cluster size. Here is a thread on that:
http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,1941.msg17330.html#msg17330

Devious123

I actually came a crossed that program previously trying to get some micro sd cards to work on my old Motorola triumph phone, which was unsuccessful. The program worked at getting the super slow sanddisk extreme working so it at least showed my cable could boot up a 32 GB card. I got the sand disk ultra 16GB (micro sd card in SD converter) coming in at about a half second slower on then the original atp pro max class ten, on the boot up time, so I'll go with that for now till i can get me a fast 32 GB SD card. I'll try it out, and if it causes issues I'll put the original back in.

Devious123

Quote from: Jman on February 17, 2012, 12:16:31 AM
If you right click the link and select Save As .... then save it somewhere you can find it on your computer it will save and not play. Personally I find that the MIDI files you can make in the latest DSoundTool work real well. With that you can make up MIDI files that are different amount of hits and different amount of seconds between hits. This is important because you don't necessarily need 99 hits for instruments. I use less than that for tom or snare rims, and really most everything except snare and tom heads. Like 20 to 33 hits on cymbal bells 33 to 49 hits on cymbal edges, 49 hits on bows ... 33 hits on most HH transitions. 9 hits on Foot Splash ... Also the amount of seconds between hits varies conciderably ... some snare hits only need 2 seconds till they die out completely, many cymbal hits will take over 10 seconds. So for me I have made up a bunch of MIDI's. 20 hit, 33 hit, 49 hit, 70 hit and 99 hit with gaps of 2 seconds up to 20 seconds. Those amount of hits is just what I chose, but the point is you don't really need to use 99 hit 16 sec. gap MIDI for making all your dsnds ... it is a lot of excess dead space and you'll end up making dsnds that are giant when much more compact dsnds will play equivalent IMO.
Also, if you are using just the Toontrack Solo and EZ Player to record and bounce these WAVs for your dsnds ... if you do 99 hit 16 second gap recordings it will take Forever .... IE ... over 26 minutes it takes to record 99 hits 16 second gap .... if you only need 99 hits at a 2 second gap, that is a little over 3 minutes .... if you see what I mean...

I was wondering about these samples that cut out after like 2-3, which i started to recently notice. I'm probably a tad picky, but ever since i noticed the gate closing type sound at the end of the sample being played, it kind of irritating. After finding this out i was checking out ezdrummer 2, and i noticed it was pretty similar. I started wondering if my quad capture gate was on, but i checked it, and it wasn't on. I guess to me if the sample are going to noticeably end when you strike a hit there should be some sort of noise compensation, in the form of a noise floor sound that fills in for the sample when it ends, or maybe you could a reverb to some how fill in at the end of the tail. I suppose i just think the abruptness of the sound end once you do the last hit is irritating.