News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSND files from Superior Drummer

Started by Slap the drummer, May 20, 2011, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eyerichards

Quote from: Jman on October 21, 2011, 09:31:48 PM
I just raise the 2 band Mixer in Toontrack Solo... Top of the page in Toontrack Solo, click Show Mixer. It shows on the left side of my page. Separate. If your volume on your hits is not high enough DSoundtool tends to cut off the tails.

Sweet! I'll give that a go after I've done the lawns, bloody spring growth ha ha  ;D
Thanks guys.

Jman

I did about 8 stacked cymbal dsnds and a few effect type cymbal dsnds like OZones and FX and Effeks yesterday...... Made sure my volumes were cranked up toward max .... had no problems at all with tails getting chopped ... the latest DSoundTool works quite well now, and I didn't have to bother splitting the Wav files to individuals.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

eyerichards

Quote from: Jman on October 23, 2011, 04:39:35 AM
I did about 8 stacked cymbal dsnds and a few effect type cymbal dsnds like OZones and FX and Effeks yesterday...... Made sure my volumes were cranked up toward max .... had no problems at all with tails getting chopped ... the latest DSoundTool works quite well now, and I didn't have to bother splitting the Wav files to individuals.

That's great. I'll save my money on buying sound forge and donate it to Louis dsound charities instead.   :)

codswallop

Did someone say this was simple? blimey!
I will have a go soon anyway thanks.

ROB219

I have started doing my own .dsnd's and I found that once you start the process its quite simple.

I also discovered that I could not performs the tasks in Cubase Le4. No matter what I did I had driver conflicts with ASIO4All.

So, I took a different route and loaded up my trusty old version of VST Host. Voila! No issues at all with playing the midi file and recording the audio in the same program. Also, I am still waiting on my new copy of SD to come in (long story but basically I had to buy another copy.. grr...) so in the meantime I have started on BFD ECO.

The sounds out of it are great! 24 velocity layers too which works quite well with the 2Box. I can expand those in the DsoundTool easily as well.

I record the audio in 48KHz sampling @ 24bit, beautiful clean samples and really quite good sounds. BFD ECO has some great kicks and snares, toms are great too.
Easy to do as well, using the VST Host as a base.

Happy camper.

edtc

Quote from: ROB219 on January 24, 2012, 12:28:54 AM

I record the audio in 48KHz sampling @ 24bit

Happy camper.

the standard sample rate for the DRUMIT is 44.1khz in 16 bit....  i think Dsoundtool is converting other formats to this  , so it s better to render it directly  this way ....   

ROB219

Ah, I wasn't sure if it was 48 or 44.1... cool I'll alter that, easy done. Cheers.

Manfred

Hi,

Quote from: edtc on January 24, 2012, 12:53:10 AM
the standard sample rate for the DRUMIT is 44.1khz in 16 bit....  i think Dsoundtool is converting other formats to this  , so it s better to render it directly  this way ....

As far as i know the 2Box sounds are 44.1kHz but with 24bit. By the way, the 2Box editor is now also capable to create multizone sounds.

Regards, Manfred

edtc

Quote from: Manfred on January 24, 2012, 06:04:55 PM
Hi,

As far as i know the 2Box sounds are 44.1kHz but with 24bit. By the way, the 2Box editor is now also capable to create multizone sounds.

Regards, Manfred

the  bit depth for the drumit is 24bit ( mixing , effects , output audio conversion ....) but i m quite sure i read somewhere the samples are 16 bit ....

.... to be confirmed by Deve

raptor

Quote from: Slap the drummer on June 05, 2011, 06:16:07 PM
Quick question. How do I download the midi file so I can save it. Everytime I go to Jman's site, the midi file plays. Am I supposed to burn it or something.  ??? Sorry.

MIDI File

I've now made a midi file for use with SD2.0.  It has 99 hits running in an even spread
from v=1 to v=127 (ie min to max).

It has 13 second gaps between hits, so you can run it at half or double speed in EZplayer
depending on what you're recording.

Got nowhere to post it, but if you PM me I'll send you a copy.  It's 1kb.

Cheers

Jman

Quote from: raptor on February 16, 2012, 11:39:39 PM

If you right click the link and select Save As .... then save it somewhere you can find it on your computer it will save and not play. Personally I find that the MIDI files you can make in the latest DSoundTool work real well. With that you can make up MIDI files that are different amount of hits and different amount of seconds between hits. This is important because you don't necessarily need 99 hits for instruments. I use less than that for tom or snare rims, and really most everything except snare and tom heads. Like 20 to 33 hits on cymbal bells 33 to 49 hits on cymbal edges, 49 hits on bows ... 33 hits on most HH transitions. 9 hits on Foot Splash ... Also the amount of seconds between hits varies conciderably ... some snare hits only need 2 seconds till they die out completely, many cymbal hits will take over 10 seconds. So for me I have made up a bunch of MIDI's. 20 hit, 33 hit, 49 hit, 70 hit and 99 hit with gaps of 2 seconds up to 20 seconds. Those amount of hits is just what I chose, but the point is you don't really need to use 99 hit 16 sec. gap MIDI for making all your dsnds ... it is a lot of excess dead space and you'll end up making dsnds that are giant when much more compact dsnds will play equivalent IMO.
Also, if you are using just the Toontrack Solo and EZ Player to record and bounce these WAVs for your dsnds ... if you do 99 hit 16 second gap recordings it will take Forever .... IE ... over 26 minutes it takes to record 99 hits 16 second gap .... if you only need 99 hits at a 2 second gap, that is a little over 3 minutes .... if you see what I mean...

raptor

Oh your right. Forget about the right click. I think on my mac it's option or command click. And thanks for the detailed info too.

btw Jman, I received your AC adapter today for the 2box. Can't wait to power up the module. I've been staring at it since Valentines Day, I love the orange color too!  8)

Jman

Quote from: raptor on February 17, 2012, 12:28:28 AM
Oh your right. Forget about the right click. I think on my mac it's option or command click. And thanks for the detailed info too.

btw Jman, I received your AC adapter today for the 2box. Can't wait to power up the module. I've been staring at it since Valentines Day, I love the orange color too!  8)

Actually the module sounds better than it looks IMO ;D I'm sure you'll enjoy it more now that you can turn it on! Reading back ... I probably built a lot more MIDI files than I need seeing that you can run EZ Player at different speeds, but it really only takes a few seconds to make a MIDI sequence file. So what I did is just build a bunch of MIDI Sequences, import those into EZ Player and then test out a couple to see what fits for the instrument you record. I'll put a bunch of the newer MIDI sequences I've already built with the latest DSoundTool into a folder and upload it to my FTP space. If they work for someone else that's great. The latest DSoundTool is an improvement as far as velocity range IMO ... I had previosly built a bunch of MIDI sequences using earlier DSTool but I do have quite a few newer ones.

So here are a bunch of MIDI sequences. Some 7 hit (fine for HH foot splash IMO), 16 hit, 20 hit, 33 hit, 49 hit, 70 hit, and 98 hit. The first numbers indicate the number of hits, like 332C is 33 hits, 2 second gap between hits ... and c just tells me it is built with the latest DSoundtool:
Again, save to your computer:

http://weblogimages.com/dajmando/MIDI%20Sqncs.zip

Louis

I put a detailed description how to create dsnd files with DSoundTool and Superior Drummer in http://www.shortestpath.se/dsoundtool/manual/sd.html

Please let me know if anything is unclear, missing, or wrong.

raptor

Hey Louis thanks for posting this.  :) You pointed out a couple of things that I wasn't doing when starting my SD files. Might explain my less than stellar results after I created my dsnd files.