News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

DSND files from Superior Drummer

Started by Slap the drummer, May 20, 2011, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baby Samus

Hmm, I cannot for the life of me find any button in Toontrack solo or EZPlayer that is marked 'bounce through mixer'.  In Toontrack solo, I click on Bounce, and a box comes up labelled 'Pre Mixer Bounce, but the setting is not in there.  I tried the mixer page, but again, no bounce settings.  Any ideas?  

PS - Read throught he manual, still can't find any reference to an option named 'bounce through mixer'...

Jman

Quote from: Baby Samus on June 09, 2011, 08:32:45 PM
Hmm, I cannot for the life of me find any button in Toontrack solo or EZPlayer that is marked 'bounce through mixer'.  In Toontrack solo, I click on Bounce, and a box comes up labelled 'Pre Mixer Bounce, but the setting is not in there.  I tried the mixer page, but again, no bounce settings.  Any ideas?  

PS - Read throught he manual, still can't find any reference to an option named 'bounce through mixer'...
So, you have Superior Drummer 2.0 and EZ Player Pro opened up in Toontrack Solo right? The Bounce Function is in the Superior Drummer 2.0 .... When you open up Toontrack Solo you should get a pop up that asks if you want to open a project or select a drummer (Superior Drummer 2.0) If you click Superior Drummer 2.o ....  In Superior Drummer 2.0 you should have selections at top .... Constuct, Mixer, Grooves, Mapping, Bounce, Settings, and ?  If I click the Bounce category I get a window with choices like 16bit or 24bit, Bounce through Mixer, All Bleed On, Split direct from bleeding, split microphone. I have Superior Drummer vs. 2.23 .... not sure if that makes a dif????
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edcito

The "bounce through mixer" switch is in the bounce section of Toontrack Solo.

I'm using the latest version (1.3.1). I suggest you go to your downloads section over at toontrack.com and check if you have updates available.

Baby Samus

I think that must be it because I only just installed without updates!  No wonder.  Thanks guys for all your help   :)

stickcharmer

can the expansion packs be used to create dsnd files without owning/having installed Superior Drummer 2.0? Im not that familiar with these, but Im thinking that the sound files are on the cd, so couldnt they just be pulled off of the cd?

logihack

Quote from: stickcharmer on September 19, 2011, 01:03:29 AM
can the expansion packs be used to create dsnd files without owning/having installed Superior Drummer 2.0? Im not that familiar with these, but Im thinking that the sound files are on the cd, so couldnt they just be pulled off of the cd?

no, you cant do it just with expansion pack...it doesnt work without sd2 - the engine

Drumisan

Quotehere is a simple outline of how SD 2.0 can be used to generate DSND files for the 2box

hello everyone,

does anyone did the same tutorial to convert BFD2 sounds ?

allready in .wav format but not 44,1 khz, 16 or 24bits, as Dsoundtool request

thanks for that

logihack

Quote from: Drumisan on September 29, 2011, 03:24:12 PM
hello everyone,

does anyone did the same tutorial to convert BFD2 sounds ?

allready in .wav format but not 44,1 khz, 16 or 24bits, as Dsoundtool request

thanks for that

well its practically the same procedure, but instead of using toontrack solo program, you will probably need some kind a host for that...i think even if its bdf stand alone vst sw...try with cubase on wins, or logic, if you are on mac...you cant do it in garage band...with that sw, the converting is even faster...at first i had some problems with cutting the tails of the sample(just one sample/99), but that is fixed in the new version of the dsound tool...

eyerichards

Hey guys,
Just made my first dsnds from superior 2.0 and thanks to the fine instructions from JMAN & SLAP it was a stress free operation. However I too noticed a difference in top end EQ quality after converting to dsnd with dsound tool. I am running an imac, so my question is what program would be the equivelent to Sound Forge for Mac so that I can try constructing dsnds from individual waves like JMAN has to see if there is a difference.
Cheers  ;D

Slap the drummer

Quote from: eyerichards on October 20, 2011, 08:03:00 PM
Hey guys,
Just made my first dsnds from superior 2.0 and thanks to the fine instructions from JMAN & SLAP it was a stress free operation. However I too noticed a difference in top end EQ quality after converting to dsnd with dsound tool. I am running an imac, so my question is what program would be the equivelent to Sound Forge for Mac so that I can try constructing dsnds from individual waves like JMAN has to see if there is a difference.
Cheers  ;D

Hi -

Its a shame you can't use SF because the mastering and conversion tools seem to be excellent.
(E.G. I never use the EQ within Superior Drummer because to my ears what comes out of the sound
forge EQ tools sounds so much better).

Anyway what I was going to say was - all these kind of tools (EQ, compression, sample rate,
bit depth, etc) in SF use iZotope programs which come bundled with it.  So might be worth looking
at the iZotope site or contact them and see if they've licensed the stuff out to any other
applications.

Also - perhaps a stupid question - you do mean you are comparing playback BEFORE using the
files thru the module?  Reason I say this is because the module clearly adds its own signature to
samples and I don't think you're ever going to hear coming from the module what you hear
within SD2.

eyerichards

Yes that's correct I'm comparing the sounds from the computer then the final sound from the module.I'll try the izotope site.
Failing that I do have an older pc that hopefully will have enough processing power to run sound forge. I guess I was hoping to blown away by the sd files in the module like jman and yourself but it's early days and the learning curve is fun. Out of interest, what's actually the process for splitting the wave file to seperate files? And one last question Do you get better results using the midi file you posted or the one generated from dsound tool. Cheers for your help it's mucho appreciated  :)

Slap the drummer

Quote from: eyerichards on October 21, 2011, 01:54:57 PM
Yes that's correct I'm comparing the sounds from the computer then the final sound from the module.

Ah, in that case I think you should expect some difference, and probably also some loss in fidelity.
If you hear significant (or even any) loss before and after .dsnd file creation, then I wd be
wondering if there was a problem.

Certainly reply via the module should sound very good.  It must be said though that my main
reason for moving away from the 2box files was not so much that I thought they were no good,
just that I didn't like them.  I do think SD sourced files are qualitatively better but for me it's more
about getting something that sounds like I think a drum kit should sound.

I think if you spend some time tweaking the settings in the SD mixer, NOT to get a good sound
in SD so much as to get the sound you're after coming from the module, then you might start to
feel more impressed  :)

My take on the SD recordings is that they have tried hard to offer a very basic, neutral sound,
which can sound a bit flat but which is there to be produced and manipulated into something good
sounding.

Splitting the wav files?  I do that in sound forge where it is very quick and easy, not sure what the
alternatives wd be.....  to be honest though, I can't help feeling that splitting and converting the
samples outside DSoundTool won't really give you what you're looking for.

As I said I think, I do prefer EQ and compression in SF (when I can be bothered!) but otherwise
I'm more than happy just to use Louis's program, it makes the whole process so quick and
straightforward, and you can concentrate on experimenting with SD settings, to see how they
sound later thru the module.  I don't think the ds tool introduces any significant loss myself.

Ditto the midi file - the one I made was just an interim thing to get the full range of velocity
from 0 to 127.  The files generated from DsoundTool are much better and much more flexible.

Hope this helps a bit.

Jman

I would just add that splitting out the files is really only something I was doing if I found the tails were being cut off too soon. That is more apparent in long sustained sounds like ride and other cymbals. It has been sooooo long since I was building many cymbal dsnds I don't remember how many of my later cymbals I split out ..... With Louis' latest version of DSoundTool and the latest MIDIs .... it is much better. Very important to raise the volume at your mixer in Toontrack Solo though .... that helps a lot. Raise the volume so you get close to max volume on the hardest hits ... no real worries about clipping as Solo/SD2 automatically adjusts for that in the finished product. But if you do find that tails are chopped on a certain cymbal or long sustaining instrument, doing all the above plus splitting out the wavs will have the best result.

eyerichards

Quote from: Jman on October 21, 2011, 07:18:17 PM
Very important to raise the volume at your mixer in Toontrack Solo though .... that helps a lot. Raise the volume so you get close to max volume on the hardest hits ... no real worries about clipping as Solo/SD2 automatically adjusts for that in the finished product. But if you do find that tails are chopped on a certain cymbal or long sustaining instrument, doing all the above plus splitting out the wavs will have the best result.

Should I be raising the individual mic levels or the master volume faders that you see on the right seperate to the main construct window. On the bounce window I notice there are pre mixer and post mixer knobs, is it best to leave these alone?

Jman

Quote from: eyerichards on October 21, 2011, 09:19:31 PM
Should I be raising the individual mic levels or the master volume faders that you see on the right seperate to the main construct window. On the bounce window I notice there are pre mixer and post mixer knobs, is it best to leave these alone?
I just raise the 2 band Mixer in Toontrack Solo... Top of the page in Toontrack Solo, click Show Mixer. It shows on the left side of my page. Separate. If your volume on your hits is not high enough DSoundtool tends to cut off the tails.