News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit Five: buy or not ?!?!?

Started by adamsprinkler, May 12, 2011, 08:52:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamsprinkler

Dear all,

After a long waiting the MKII is finally available in Morocco but since it is not exposed in the shop (we can only buy it in its boxes without playing it) my questions are:

1- Is it really worth to purchase at this time: what do I have to expect as unsolved problems?

2- Will the MKII be replaced in the next months since there are so much unsolved issues, according to our forum?

3- Do I have to make attention with the serial number of the module since some of them are concerned with crashes and other problems?

I ask these questions because the MKII is about 25% more expensive in North Africa (compared to Europe). The fact is also that we have less technical possibilities in our countries to resolve electronic problems (limited warranty, etc.). In other words: the purchase must rather be perfect from the beginning.

Thanks a lot for your answers and sorry for the unusual questions.

Adam

andhar

Quote from: adamsprinkler on May 12, 2011, 08:52:18 PM
...  Thanks a lot for your answers and sorry for the unusual questions.

Adam

No need to be sorry for your questions. As You might have seen, even if we in bigger parts of Europe perhaps have better back-up from distributors, we are concerned too..!

Your questions are well formulated and adequate

Anders

Baby Samus

Dear all,

After a long waiting the MKII is finally available in Morocco but since it is not exposed in the shop (we can only buy it in its boxes without playing it) my questions are:

1- Is it really worth to purchase at this time: what do I have to expect as unsolved problems?

That depends on how much you pay and whether you think its worth it - some people will think it is, others won't - try comparing to how much a Roland TD-12 would cost in Morocco, as this is pretty much the Roland equivalent.  There are problems with the kit - the cymbal bell still does not trigger perfectly, although it is improved since launch.  Some of the wiring inside the pads has been a bit loose or poorly soldered causing pad/trigger failure, but this is something that can be fixed at home with a little solder etc. Software updates continue to improve the functionality of the system however.  The MK2 rack is good and solid, the pads and module are all very strongly made.

2- Will the MKII be replaced in the next months since there are so much unsolved issues, according to our forum?

There is no news from 2Box that this will be the case.  If they are releasing a MKIII kit, they haven't announced it yet.  Future improvements promised include positional sensing and positional sensing pads.  If you have specific concerns please list them and I will try to answer.

3- Do I have to make attention with the serial number of the module since some of them are concerned with crashes and other problems?

I ask these questions because the MKII is about 25% more expensive in North Africa (compared to Europe). The fact is also that we have less technical possibilities in our countries to resolve electronic problems (limited warranty, etc.). In other words: the purchase must rather be perfect from the beginning.

From the 2Box site - If you have trouble with the DrumIt Five unit freezing or sound files getting corrupted, it is most likely due to a Flash card failure. The DrumIt units affected are from serial number 1050 upto 1559. 2box will arrange a replacement Flash card under warranty. Please contact your local distributor to report your problem.

Thanks a lot for your answers and sorry for the unusual questions.

Adam

Hi adamsprinkler,

See replies above (in bold) in answer to your questions:.

HM

1: The sound and feel are amazing for the price - I think it is worth the money. Biggest problem is with the cymbals - they are not like acoustic ones. However, I think the cymbals are good enough, very acceptable. Compared to TD-9, for example, I enjoy playing my 2box much much more. I never tried TD-12 since it was much more expensive.

2: I don't believe that the hardware will be updated in near future. If there are software updates, they will be available free of charge on 2box websites.

Evy

Just buy the damn thing already!!!  If you don't like it, take it back.  I've had my kit for a year and have had no problems with it apart from a loose black rim, but it still plays fine.  The cymbals are better than any other ekit on the market in my opinion and the sounds are far better than a TD12.  So very worth the money.

BURNIN AMBITION

2box, bengt, deve, digital drummer, Jman, Brian, Manfred thanx for everything

iola 11
http://www.facebook.com/iola11
www.reverbnation.com/iola11
https://soundcloud.com/iola11
https://twitter.com/iola11band
www.youtube.com/iola11band
www.myspace.com/iola11

rythm

Quote from: Evy on May 13, 2011, 06:19:46 PM
Just buy the damn thing already!!!  If you don't like it, take it back.  I've had my kit for a year and have had no problems with it apart from a loose black rim, but it still plays fine.  The cymbals are better than any other ekit on the market in my opinion and the sounds are far better than a TD12.  So very worth the money.
Agree to that!

Slap the drummer

puttenvr

Can't you buy it in Germany?
Most of the huge shops ship worldwide and (in any case) there is a backup on service
Perhaps there will be a lot of shipping costs but the kit is much cheaper here

andhar

Quote from: puttenvr on May 14, 2011, 06:36:53 AM
Can't you buy it in Germany?
Most of the huge shops ship worldwide and (in any case) there is a backup on service
Perhaps there will be a lot of shipping costs but the kit is much cheaper here

And we will be glad if You can tell us what stores have it in stock...
Thomann - the greatest, has stopped announcing it because of trouble with distribution and delivery date...

The situation is "critical" all over the place. There is not a single set available in northern Europe that i have managed to see. I started a thread about this some time ago - Shortage on 2Box - annoying! http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,845.0.html
Please - if anyone could  point out a dealer within EU...

Thanks!
/Anders

Evy

Thomann appears to have at least one available on their website.

Cuban

Quote from: andhar on May 14, 2011, 11:16:23 AM

Thanks!
/Anders
Always worth speaking to eDrum Attic as the website can't always show what is in or due in, so worth dropping them a line if you are after anything 2Box related.

andhar

Quote from: Evy on May 14, 2011, 01:53:35 PM
Thomann appears to have at least one available on their website.

That is not really the case, The status tells:
"available at short notice (usually 2-5 days)
This item is ordered and due to arrive within the next few days or it is immediately available at the distributor."

But anyway--- the product has not even been there for a long time, until yeasterday ..
So - it can be positive news? But since my delivery date in Sweden has been changed 5 times - my hopes are not that high... I will call my store on monday and see if the date - the 20:th - was for real... :-)

Hoping....

mr.inn

I,d say buy if you are going to use it as a practice kit.
If you are aiming at live gigs and such, Don't by...I'd wait.
I think that there are still to many issues concerning reliability that has to be sorted out first. These issues are minor but still extremely annoying in certain situations.

zorglub

Quote from: andhar on May 14, 2011, 11:16:23 AM
I got my MKII last week from woodbrass.com (France) and it took less than a week.
I ordered a second kit this week to get an extra cymbal and pad and will sell the other parts here (unless a friend of mine buys them first).
For those who plan a trip to France, the MKI can be seen and played at "La baguetterie" in Paris.

Quote from: mr.inn on May 14, 2011, 03:59:34 PM
I think that there are still to many issues concerning reliability that has to be sorted out first. These issues are minor but still extremely annoying in certain situations.
Did you break your kick by hitting directly on top of the sensor? Is it a MKI kick with the sensor near the middle?

About the original topic, I'd say that if you're not ready to spend 2 times more and that you are used to fix things yourself you have nothing to worry about.
After 20 years playing acoustic drums I tried all the kits in demo I could find and the 2box was the one that was the closest to what I was used to.
Is it perfect? certainly not. but it feels great, sounds great, and you get those two qualities at a pretty good price compared to the competition.