News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

voxengo acudrums

Started by Slap the drummer, April 11, 2011, 10:07:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slap the drummer

Since I've just bought some parts of this kit, I'm starting a thread here to give some more details for anybody interested in
making their own dsound files with the samples.

Voxengo Update 1

The samples are 1 wav file per hit at 44100Hz/16bit, so in theory they are almost ready to go.  But the folder
structure is not as logical (or as convenient) as the NDK, so be prepared to spend some time moving the files
around into your own folder structure, so that they can then be loaded into DSND files.

The worst of the bad news is that although there are many samples, with mucho variation, there is a limited
number of velocity layers.

So far as I can make out there is typically between 9 and 12 velocity layers with roughly a 15db range from the
lowest level layer to the highest.  The 2box files are generally 30 or 40 layers spanning the range -30db up to
around the 0db mark.

So it will be necessary to use something like Sound Forge to copy the Voxengo sets and apply a global negative
volume change to create a sample set with a wider velocity [volume] range.  Unless you never play quietly.
However there are usually [always?] 5 variations at each velocity level so a very realistic feel should be the result.
(You are starting with 5 times 10-ish = 50 samples per instrument).

A minor point - the individual instruments are already panned left and right to automatically create a realistic
soundstage.  You may have guessed it!  Yep, the stage is the reverse of a r/handed drummer, so that the
hihat is panned to right, etc etc.  This could be corrected in the module, but for ultimate sound quality the channels
are best swapped prior to creation of dsnd file.  I'm pretty sure both SF and Audacity will do this.

There is no download manager provided but the files are pretty heavily shrunk - eg the hihat was 277mb to download
and this unzipped to roughly 750mb.

----
On the Voxengo demo page you can download an MP3/320kbps file of various hits for each instrument.  It would be
pretty straightforward to make a limited dsnd file from these if you wanted to test the sounds out under your sticks
- personally I find the sound of the files thru the module very different to what I hear originally on my laptop.

Rock on.....