News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Decent Amp for the Drumit

Started by tim1987, August 31, 2009, 01:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1987

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good amp for the Drumit five? I have a Peavey KB 2 which sounded great when I had my v drums going through it, but the drumit doesn't sound good through the amp at all. It sounds great through the headphones and then it sounds bad through the amp!

Also regarding the Line In, I think the pan right is missing. On a play along cd I have of bass in the left pan and guitar in the right- there is no guitar which means the pan right isn't working. I hope this gets sorted in the update, whenever that will be! Anybody had this issue?

Thanks

puttenvr

Remi

is the yamaha stagepas 150M a right choice for home use?
(Not often at high volume.)

Mixer included.

puttenvr

Looking at the specs: I am afraid it is too weak.
I am afraid that for this amount of money you won't get a good e-drum amp

patbat

Hello,
Sorry for my bad english (I'm french).
I don't know what to choose between the JBL EON 515
and the Roland PM-30.
I can't find informations about SPL and frequency range for the Roland.
On american vdrums forum, people said the JBL sounds nice but is not
powerful at all.
Is that true ?
Could U tell me which one sounds better and which one sounds more powerful,
when used with the drumit five ?
I'm just playing at home whith friends (guitars, keyboard).
Thank U for your answers.

puttenvr

The JBL has a maximum SPL of 129 dB
That's the noise of an aeroplane, or even louder.
I used it predecessor (JBL EON G2) with quite a lot of succes
Of course it's not suitable for Wembly Stadion, but at home and in small clubs it will do

patbat

Thank U for your quick answer.
It will sound loud enough for my use.
And about the sound quality ?
Is it going to sound better than the Roland PM-30 ?
(there is no shop in east France where I can go
to listen at the JBL)

UC

'lut patbat, bienvenue au forum :)

Whenever I've played with a band - live or just practising - I've always tried to have a setup with my headphones mixing in everything I want to hear (but with the drums loudest of course :D). Of course, the other people in the band need to hear you but I bet they mostly don't care too much about how it sounds as long as they can play to your beat.

...like I've said it in another post, having your own (good) mini mixer is really useful because you can get your main line-out from the drum brain, sent clean to the PA through your mixer, and have your own independent levels in your headphones, and usually also include some foldback in your ears on a line-level AUX input from the other instruments in the band - without it being sent back to the main output. You have lots of control over what you hear.

Wh nplaying live, you can control what you hear without interfering with the sound engineer's work, which is usually from an 'audience' position. You can hear your own subtlety, which effects the way you play, but you can / should trust the professional who can hear what the crowd is hearing - so let them do their thing with your main Out. You will be more comfortable with your sound and won't compete with the others in the band.

My personal feeling is - if you are only playing with monitor speakers controlled by someone else, and there's lots of other noise going on (bass player hitting the same frequencies as your kick for instance) it can get muddy and confusing, and it's nearly impossible to get someone else to change the feedback levels in the middle of a gig. Soundcheck is king!

I don't care if I don't look cool wearing big-ass headphones, I care that I'm playing the best I can.

The fact I'm small and no-one can see behind the drums me helps :)

puttenvr

Quote from: patbat on September 02, 2009, 08:29:25 PM
Is it going to sound better than the Roland PM-30 ?

This is - ofcourse - difficult to say since
it is a matter of taste

(c'est difficile à dire depuis c'est une question de goût)

patbat

Thanks a lot , UC and puttenvr , for your answers,
that are very helpful for me.
Et en plus, vous parlez français ! super !!!

To make it short, I could say that the only way for me to make a good
choice is to listen to the 2 amps in the shops and to choose the one that
will sound good at my ears.
Am I right ?

puttenvr

Yes, that's right for the review of sound quality
When you hear the Roland set, you can (not sure) get a wrong representation of its capabilities, since in a shop it can sound loud enough while, when playing with friends at home, it isn't
Perhaps the shop dealer will allow you to test it at home with the band