News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

ride cymbal missing "beats"

Started by snydley, March 29, 2011, 04:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snydley

Sat. night was the 1st time I played my kit with a full band, 2 guitars, bass, and lead vocals. It performed very well except for my ride cymbal. When things got going and the sound got loud, (and I was beating on it harder), I noticed during  fast songs that my ride cymbal wasn't "keeping up" with my sticks. It would miss beats, playing about every other one. I only noticed it a couple times, and it was always when I was playing hard and fast. Not too hard mind you, I wasn't "killing it" or anything just playing a bit louder. Is there any way to adjust it in the brain to not do this or is this just the way e-cymbals are? When I played the same thing and didn't hit it as hard it didn't miss a beat. The crash cymbals worked perfectly. If there is no "fix" to this, I thought maybe I'd use my Zildjian acoustic ride and program the e-ride as another crash. Has anyone had this happen to them and know of a "fix"? Anyone tried an acoustic ride with the set?
Thanks,
Snyde

nonoduweb

Hi
Perhaps that the module played a bell sound, which gave this impression. If you hit too hard on the cymbal you can obtain a bell sound if the gains has a high value.

I have already played on the kit with real hihat and cymbals, for a record session. No problem. (except we heard a little the impact of the mesh heads in the overhead mics)

roel

Quote from: snydley on March 29, 2011, 04:41:55 PM
Sat. night was the 1st time I played my kit with a full band, 2 guitars, bass, and lead vocals. It performed very well except for my ride cymbal. When things got going and the sound got loud, (and I was beating on it harder), I noticed during  fast songs that my ride cymbal wasn't "keeping up" with my sticks. It would miss beats, playing about every other one. I only noticed it a couple times, and it was always when I was playing hard and fast. Not too hard mind you, I wasn't "killing it" or anything just playing a bit louder. Is there any way to adjust it in the brain to not do this or is this just the way e-cymbals are? When I played the same thing and didn't hit it as hard it didn't miss a beat. The crash cymbals worked perfectly. If there is no "fix" to this, I thought maybe I'd use my Zildjian acoustic ride and program the e-ride as another crash. Has anyone had this happen to them and know of a "fix"? Anyone tried an acoustic ride with the set?
Thanks,
Snyde

Yip the ride triggering is still not perfect 2box should update this problem...

rythm

Could it be you had you had dialed in the sound parameters on kit programme (you don´t have the menu of the actual kit on the screen but instead the sound screen, or some other)? I´ve noticed that sometimes when you have the sound can´t keep up with the actual hits on the pads. This goes for all pads, not just the ride. Hope my explanation make some sense.  :)

Jman

Quote from: nonoduweb on March 29, 2011, 05:28:52 PM
Hi
Perhaps that the module played a bell sound, which gave this impression. If you hit too hard on the cymbal you can obtain a bell sound if the gains has a high value.

I have already played on the kit with real hihat and cymbals, for a record session. No problem. (except we heard a little the impact of the mesh heads in the overhead mics)

I'd bet this is the case. If you were to trigger the bell when hitting the bow, the bell sound is not very loud since you were just barely crossing over to the velocity where the bell sounds. Also on some ride patches the bell is not a loud pronounced sound even at higher velocity....  The way to tell would be to try and attempt this by yourself when not gigging .... attempt to get the ride to behave the way it did when you gigged .... then lower the gain as nonoduweb suggested .... I bet that was the problem...

rythm's suggestion is a good possibility too.... 

with everything adjusted right with the trigger parameters you should be able to get pretty decent performance. And no missed hits like you describe.

You must get used to the way the bell responds .... IE ... with the threshold and gain adjusted with no bell sounds from the bow .... you will not get the bell sound on the bell with light bell hits. For me this is a bit of an adjustment, knowing I need to use at least a medium velocity hit to the bell, but by adjusting playing style a bit it should be OK..... not perfect, but OK. 
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

snydley

Quote from: nonoduweb on March 29, 2011, 05:28:52 PM
Hi

I didn't hear the bell sound, I heard nothing. Maybe lowering the gain will help, I'll try that.
I'm also gonna try my real hi-hat and ride, those are the 2 things I DON'T like about the kit.
Thanks,
Snyde

snydley

Quote from: rythm on March 29, 2011, 07:12:49 PM
Could it be you had you had dialed in the sound parameters on kit programme (you don´t have the menu of the actual kit on the screen but instead the sound screen, or some other)? I´ve noticed that sometimes when you have the sound can´t keep up with the actual hits on the pads. This goes for all pads, not just the ride. Hope my explanation make some sense.  :)

No, I had the actual kit number on the screen, not a parameter menu on the screen. I know this because it's one I configured myself.
Thanks,
Snyde

snydley

Quote from: Jman on March 29, 2011, 07:32:48 PM
I'd bet this is the case. If you were to trigger the bell when hitting the bow, the bell sound is not very loud since you were just barely crossing over to the velocity where the bell sounds. Also on some ride patches the bell is not a loud pronounced sound even at higher velocity....  The way to tell would be to try and attempt this by yourself when not gigging .... attempt to get the ride to behave the way it did when you gigged .... then lower the gain as nonoduweb suggested .... I bet that was the problem...

rythm's suggestion is a good possibility too.... 

with everything adjusted right with the trigger parameters you should be able to get pretty decent performance. And no missed hits like you describe.

You must get used to the way the bell responds .... IE ... with the threshold and gain adjusted with no bell sounds from the bow .... you will not get the bell sound on the bell with light bell hits. For me this is a bit of an adjustment, knowing I need to use at least a medium velocity hit to the bell, but by adjusting playing style a bit it should be OK..... not perfect, but OK. 

I'll have to adjust the gain and see what happens. If I can adjust it so the bell doesn't sound unless hit hard, but the ride tracks correctly that'll be great. I'll just have to hit the bell harder when I need it. I can live with that.
Thanks,
Snyde

edtc

Check that the sound is in "poly mode "... in mono mode , slight double triggering can cause the sound to be cut by the "ghost note" that may be  produced when hitting hard...