Big Mono kit - Test .dsnd files for sharing with all you lovely forum types...

Started by Baby Samus, December 29, 2010, 04:12:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UC

Quote from: Baby Samus on February 07, 2011, 10:03:33 PM
Some people on here think I'm a girl?

Nothing of the sort, I wouldn't like to pre-suppose anything in this day and age!

It was Putt's rather public display of affection to which I referred  ;D

Anyway, don't mind me, do carry on ::)

Marinus

Hey!

Great work. Only the bassdrum-file doesnt seem to work (the dl-link). Can you upload that one again?

I will have my 2box-kit probably next friday!!!! I'm already starting to download all the available extra's. I love the sound of the big mono kit.

Thanks!

Cuban

I am just starting to dip my toes into this area (see here) but having only tried the Zildjian Avedis 13" Mastersound Hihats, while they sound great, a few things I wondered were.

1) There is a lot of background / ambient noise on the sample. Was that simply how it was recorded, i.e. the mic was more an ambient mic rather than in close?

2) The closed hi-hat sound it not a tight sound, quite a loose. I assume intentional - is everyone getting that?

3) The sensitivity on sound on fast hi-hat rhythms doesn't seem to pick each note up. I've tried playing with Gain and Threshold, but it's not really doing it. Is this again down to how it was recorded?

Thanks for the thread and conversions Baby Samus, much appreciated.

Marinus

Hey!

Im sorry, seems that the complete Mono kit was already uploaded in another thread.
I found it here: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,509.0.html

Thanks anyway!

westerlu77

Baby Samus

Quote from: westerlu77 on April 12, 2011, 12:30:56 PM
Is the Ludwig kickdrum not available anymore for download?

Yes the kickdrum is still available man, I just tested it.
If you have trouble with any of the links on that page let me know and I will fix.

Quote from: Marinus on April 11, 2011, 02:32:46 PM
Im sorry, seems that the complete Mono kit was already uploaded in another thread.
I found it here: http://www.2box-forum.com/index.php/topic,509.0.html
Thanks anyway!

I doubt this is the complete kit, its only 44 mb in size - use the links at the start of this thread you'll see the size difference.

Quote from: Cuban on April 11, 2011, 10:31:35 AM
1) There is a lot of background / ambient noise on the sample. Was that simply how it was recorded, i.e. the mic was more an ambient mic rather than in close?
2) The closed hi-hat sound it not a tight sound, quite a loose. I assume intentional - is everyone getting that?
3) The sensitivity on sound on fast hi-hat rhythms doesn't seem to pick each note up. I've tried playing with Gain and Threshold, but it's not really doing it. Is this again down to how it was recorded?

Thanks for the thread and conversions Baby Samus, much appreciated.

Hi Cuban, in answer to your questions:

1) The ambient noise is because the kit was recorded to tape and run through an old desk in a studio before being sampled, which I think is meant to be the appeal, that kind of dirty warm sound you get in some records.  They aren't meant to sound 'hi-fi' I don't think.  
2) I'm not getting that sorry.  I'll listen again and see if it can be improved - anyone else feel this?
3) Could be the velocity curve you're using, or the hi-hat mix level.  I find the 13" hats to be quieter than the 2Box one's, but I don't find any problems with sensitivity.  Perhaps if others do I will look into it and see if I can improve them.

Hope this helps.

westerlu77

It worked now, thanks! I think that the hihat is still the achilles heel. It's not natural..
Is it not possible to edit this sounds with eq in beta 1.20?

puttenvr

The sounds are great
Clean when listened to, on my pc
And with some noise (hiss) when played in the 2Box

Any explanation for this?

Baby Samus

Quote from: puttenvr on April 12, 2011, 04:52:38 PM
The sounds are great

Not sure what you mean, I have listened using same headphones on PC and 2Box and can't see that much difference?  I will check again...

Marinus

I keep getting this error when trying to download the kick: The file link that you requested is not valid.
The rest works, only the kick isnt working. And you're right, the file in the other thread is way to small.

Slap the drummer

Quote from: puttenvr on April 12, 2011, 04:52:38 PM
The sounds are great

I find this applies to all samples - the module always introduces some hash and alters
the nature of the sound to some degree.  (For me I find the only way to really assess
how a file sounds is to play it on the kit).

I've always assumed this is because the module is running the sounds through a fair
amount of processing/conversion type stuff [technical terms].  EG, when you change
pitch the sample rate is altered (as I understand it).  Even if you don't change the
pitch, the sample still has to be channelled thru the software or whatever.

Perhaps a bit like tone controls on an amp.  You may leave the settings flat but the
signal must still pass through the circuits.

But then, as you can tell, I'm not very technical  :)

Marinus

Quote from: Baby Samus on April 12, 2011, 02:49:28 PM

I doubt this is the complete kit, its only 44 mb in size - use the links at the start of this thread you'll see the size difference.

The kick still isnt available on your link. But the file I mentioned earlier is about the same size, only zipped. When unzipped they are about he same size. They sound beautiful, only a fragment higher than your samples (the toms). Did you tune them down?

Baby Samus

Quote from: Marinus on April 14, 2011, 06:46:20 PM
The kick still isnt available on your link. But the file I mentioned earlier is about the same size, only zipped. When unzipped they are about he same size. They sound beautiful, only a fragment higher than your samples (the toms). Did you tune them down?

Hi Marinus,

I have updated the link for the kick, please try this:  http://www.4shared.com/file/fX5tDJfV/Ludwig_Kick.html

The samples I used were not altered or tuned in any way - they are straight out of the Big Mono pack with no changes.  The full Big Mono kit when archived is 140MB, uncompressed its about 220mb.

PS - have some Karma!

Marinus

Thanks Baby Samus,

The link works. And thanks for the Karma! I've send some back at ya!

This evening I will get my own 2Box kit from the musicstore!!! Finally!!
After I have installed my kit, I will do a proper introduction in the "say hello"-thread.

So excited....

snydley

Quote from: Baby Samus on December 29, 2010, 04:12:50 AM
Hi all,

I'm just getting into creating kits so I thought I'd share a few sounds with you guys to see what you think.  These are just some of the Big Mono kit samples, which I ripped out and changed into 2Box sounds. Take note that no post processing or effects was done on the samples - they were just put straight into .dsnd files. Also they are only made of 16 samples per zone I think, take this into account when using them but I find the sound and response quite pleasing.

As I say this is my first go at creating a basic kit for a specific sound, so be gentle!  I find the legacy 21" ride on the 2Box complements this kit well so I just use that and a swiss crash.

22 x 16 Ludwig 60's Kick:
http://www.4shared.com/file/_chHAO8_/Ludgwig_Kick.html
14" x 5" '50s Rodgers Dynasonic Snare: http://www.4shared.com/file/4Y2Jou98/Rodgerss_Dynasonic.html
13" '60s Ludwig Mounted Tom: http://www.4shared.com/file/VSdUq7FT/Ludwig_13_Tom.html
16" '60s Ludwig Floor Tom: http://www.4shared.com/file/T-U-3bex/Ludwig_16_Tom.html
Zildjian Avedis 13" Mastersound Hihats: http://www.4shared.com/file/idIJmtDS/ZMasterHH.html

I tried the Rogers snare,(not sure which one, the HD one I think), today and it wasn't near as loud as the "stock" snares, or the extras I downloaded from the 2Box site. I just downloaded the file, copied it to my flash card and inserted it back in the external card socket,(I updated my brain last week, added a extension SDHC cable and 32G card). Do I need to process it in the 2box sound editor, or load it into Audacity or Sound Forge and amplify the waveform before using it to get the volume I need from it? I was really psyched to try it today but when I played it it was way too quiet to use.
Snyde