News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Drumit 5 Module Using Other Brand Pads?

Started by Cuban, November 15, 2010, 04:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuban

First post here, so hello everyone.  :)

Dare I mention that I've used R*land pads, triggers and modules for the last few years, but I am currently changing my 'e' drum set up for a new band project and am looking at going orange!

Now the Drumit 5 Module is available as a stand alone, can anyone confirm if the module will work with either R*land pads or their RT triggers?

Any issues in doing so, is there anyone here that has done this?

I would like to think that the Drumit 5 Module will be the answer to my prayers as I am not keen to go the whole VST route and have long since grown tired of the R*land sounds.

I hope someone can help!
Thank you in advance.

rudiman

Didn't test roland pads. But i think a centertrigger is not the best choice. Like the roland kits you have a unwanted hotspot.
I made my own pad today and it works fine. used a piezo directly to the mesh head near the side of the drum.  Under the piezo there is a piece of foam.
Exactly as the original xbox trigger. I test it out and it works fine! I didn't feel or hear any difference with the original pads.
I will post a pic in a few days..

Cuban

Thanks rudiman, interesting to know that.
Can I presume side mounted RT triggers would be fine?

rudiman

don't know, i first tested i roland cone with the piezo underneath but the signal was to weak instead off the original pad.
Now i used i smaller piezo then my first test. and put this directly to the meshhead. I discovered some minor problems.
1> the foam i used is to soft so the piezo is some kind of buzzing when hitting it very soft.
2> The wires i used are a bit to stiff.
3> Piezo signal is weaker then the large piezo i used with the first test.

So tomorow if gonna change the setup using the larger piezo form the first test, and take thinner wires and harder foam.
Some people wonder why do so much work when you have a complete 2box kit?
Thats because i ordered a second module , and build my own pads so it looke more like a drumkit :-)

Cuban

Quote from: rudiman on November 15, 2010, 05:31:07 PM
Some people wonder why do so much work when you have a complete 2box kit?
Thats because i ordered a second module , and build my own pads so it looke more like a drumkit :-)

Interested to know more as I need a traditional looking kit for this new band, but electronic sound control.

rythm

Quote from: Cuban on November 15, 2010, 04:31:36 PM
First post here, so hello everyone.  :)

Dare I mention that I've used R*land pads, triggers and modules for the last few years, but I am currently changing my 'e' drum set up for a new band project and am looking at going orange!

Now the Drumit 5 Module is available as a stand alone, can anyone confirm if the module will work with either R*land pads or their RT triggers?

Any issues in doing so, is there anyone here that has done this?

I would like to think that the Drumit 5 Module will be the answer to my prayers as I am not keen to go the whole VST route and have long since grown tired of the R*land sounds.

I hope someone can help!
Thank you in advance.

I´ve tried connect Roland pads to the Drumit Five module and it works, although you won´t have positional sensing. Another discovery was that the sound sounded more weak (thin) than with the Drumit pads. Why I don´t know I´m afraid.
I don´t know if Rolands cymbals work and I think I´ve read that you can´t use their hi hats, at least the VH 12.
Kit Toys cymbals works (not the choke function) as I use one myself.
My advice is go orange all the way  8)

Slap the drummer

Hi - I can throw in that I've added some Roland CY8 cymbals to my 2box kit.

What I found was -
Using the Cymbal 3 channel on the module, in terms of the crash and ride cymbal sounds produced, there was no real difference between the CY8 and the 2box.  Edge hits and choke also fully functioning.

In terms of a good feeling playing surface tho, the 2box cymbals are way out in front.  In comparison playing the roland's
is like hitting stiff bits of plastic.

Cuban

Quote from: rythm on November 15, 2010, 07:56:55 PM
I´ve tried connect Roland pads to the Drumit Five module and it works, although you won´t have positional sensing.
Do you know why that would be?

Quote from: rythm on November 15, 2010, 07:56:55 PM
Another discovery was that the sound sounded more weak (thin) than with the Drumit pads. Why I don´t know I´m afraid. I don´t know if Rolands cymbals work and I think I´ve read that you can´t use their hi hats, at least the VH 12. Kit Toys cymbals works (not the choke function) as I use one myself.
My advice is go orange all the way  8)
I wonder if the VH-11 would work?

rudiman

QuoteDo you know why that would be?

positional sensing must be programmed in the brain.

QuoteI wonder if the VH-11 would work?

Roland hihat will not work..pretty sure of that

Cuban

Quote from: rudiman on November 16, 2010, 08:26:44 AM

positional sensing must be programmed in the brain.

Roland hihat will not work..pretty sure of that
Does 2box not have positional sensing then or have I misunderstood?
Anyone know for sure about the VH-11?

rudiman

QuoteDoes 2box not have positional sensing then or have I misunderstood?

No it doesnot.

QuoteAnyone know for sure about the VH-11?

I'am shure, 2box hihat use a very different methode!

ddrum4se

QuoteInterested to know more as I need a traditional looking kit for this new band, but electronic sound control.

I have just purchased a Boom Theory snare, (and will be getting the rest of the kit) - it works perfectly with my ddrum4se, looks like a real snare, plays like a real snare, and does not miss trigger with heavy amplification, (good for stage). Also it comes in any finish you want - I went for a DW Red Sparkle - looks great. If I knew how to post pics I would post some for you. The drum does give off some pad noise about the same as the old ddrum cast precision ones.

Boom Theory address -

http://www.boomtheory.com/id3.html

Tristan

I'd actually be interested to see how the 2box works with Pearl's new Tru Trac heads that they're putting on the e-pro live. 

I don't want to get a full e-pro kit, but could quite easily see myself putting a set of Tru Trac head's (when available individually!) onto my Mapex kit so I can take that kit with my 2Box brain to gigs, and use the 2Box pads for rehearsing at home.

TrommelTheo

diabolo-Pads from Drum-Tec make a bette job than the original 2Box Pads, i´ve tested it in the shop, cable out, cable in, playing, without other tuning.
Hihat Cymbals is more complicated, cause they use a magnet, like old DDrum

Theo