News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Someone interested in the ddrum3 library?

Started by Mesursur, November 06, 2010, 10:47:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mesursur

So, if someone is interested in the ddrum3 library, I can convert the raw samples to wav. Just let me know.

delago

eyerichards

mandubien

If there are Simon Phillips sounds, I would like to get them too  :rock:

Mesursur

OK, enough replies  ;) I will post them (ofcourse free of charge, someone asked me :) ). Just give me a week or two. There are some multi-samples and a lot are just single hits. You will see.

No Simon Philips sounds or pictures here  :).

Only Dave Wackl Nice mullet Dave!

lite

If you have an audio editor supporting raw audio files you can open the ddrum3 sound files directly. Choose open as raw and make sure "motorola byte-order" is selected in the settings.

You can download them here:
http://unofficially-ddrum.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=ddrum3&thread=10&page=1#11

But it's the same story as with the ddrum4 sounds discussed in the other thread. The ddrum3 has lots of algorithms/filtering/etc. going on playing these sounds. And there are (partly hidden) hidden parameters which make them sound great & real (machine-gun-surpression called drum head vibration algorithm, position-driven filtering, random sample play, etc.). These parameters are implemented in the factory sounds. So you just get the raw wav sample data if you use them outside the ddrum3. So probably it's not too exciting using them.

However there are still some nice samples inside. For example the Simmons stuff if you like 80s stuff  ;)

I have the core stuff converted to wav on some harddrive. I could upload them as well.

Mesursur

yes thats true, I uploaded them on the ddrums.com forum two years ago(had to covert them from mac-format to windows format). I will post the wave files, so not everyone has to do it themselfs.

@Lite
I think you are talking about the one shot samples.
My own recorded multi samples(and the other multi samples on the cd) also sound great in the ddrum3, no hidden parameters, no machine gun etc.... And I think that the 2box cant be working without algorithms in the software :) Without any form of algorithm, the samples are just played in one order.....

Where did you get that information? just curious :)

lite

I mean the ddrum3 sounds in general, not especially single shot sounds. I assume you mean the same Clavia ddrum3 CD as there was no other.

There are definitely parameters you loose if you convert the sounds to wav.

You have to distinguish between two different ways of sound manipulation in the ddrum3:

a) user adjustable: all the parameters found in the menu (filter, param EQ, damp, click, attack, pitch, bend, gain, xfade, etc.)

b) factory settings: random sample play, position phase (phasing effect controlled by position), random start, and – most important:DVA!

you can check the Simmons sounds from the ddrum3 CD. They have filter parameters causing them to sound very different depending on velocity (not just volume). Most of them use the dynamic EQ and dynamic pitch bend. One Simmons Tom from the ROM bank for example changes pitch entirely when hitting harder.

These parameters are stored in the ddrum3 sounds (kind of hidden as you can't access them outside the ddrum3). You loose these features if you convert them into wav. The 2box can't read ddrum3 sound parameters. And even if the 2box could do it, it does not have filters at all. Just straight sample playback. So you just get the static sample if you transfer it into the 2box.

Beside those parameters (a), there are parameters which are really hidden, described under b). I don't know exactly to which of the multisample sets on the CD the b) type stuff has been applied to. If you want a prove just listen to the Nord Lead Percussion sound no 15. it's a multisample with random sample playback. Which you will loose as well if you convert to wave.

Clavia introduced a thing called ,,drum head vibration algorithm" with the ddrum2. Of course this has been found in the ddrum3 as well. This algorithm changes the relation between the overtones if you play fast repeating strokes. This is the algorithm eliminating the machine gun effect! And yes, you even have a hidden parameter ,,DVA" in your ddrum3! I think it was 0 to 6. With the ddrum4 the version two of the so called ,,drum head vibration algorithm" has been announced.

You see there is a lot more to discover than just calling different velocity samples! Otherwise it would be easy to make a good and realistic sounding drum module if just some multisamples would do the trick. They don't.

The 2box has this velocity layer variation thing in order to avoid the same sample played back repetitive to get rid of the machine gun effect. And a lot more layered samples of course. But it works different from the ddrums and that's why you won't get the same results by just converting the ddrum sounds into wav and transfering them into the 2box.

Mesursur

ok, please provide links or references, because I'm very curious. The simmons example is done with the g-sens and f-sens in the ddrum3(page 41 manual).  Yes, I have red the manual and yes, I know about all the things you talk about.

Try the samples in the drumit and if you think its not useable, dont use them.

Ok, were good.  ;)

lite

How can you use the same dynamic filter effects in the 2box (which has no filters)?
Or am I totally wrong and the 2box has the same filters and you can even transfer the values?! I don't think so.

Furthermore the DVA/random/posphase stuff is cut-off if you convert to wave.

However -  It's about people converting the ddrum3 sounds for the 2box. Almost all dd3 stock sounds come with dynamic filter adjustments. I wanted to explain why the sounds won't deliver the same results as just the raw wave samples will be transferred.

Mesursur

Yes, It's hard. And I wil try to... Uses the Jedi mind trick on himself