News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Cymbals!

Started by Mixmaster5, October 24, 2010, 12:05:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixmaster5

Is there anybody who has experience with the Alesis Surge cymbals because all cymbal pad i ve ever played also 2box cymbals havent a realistic feeling. I thing the surge Idea is very good but i dont know anything about the quality!?!

Tanks for replying!

ddrum4se

Hello,

I would be interested to hear also if anyone has used Smartrigger Cymbals successfully with the Ddrum4 SE modules?? Especially the Hi Hat. I have recently purchased a Pintech HHY RYC box, (but at the moment cannot see how this will work), unless I also purchase the Pintech RYC100 variable switch which attached to the Hi Hat stand?

Thanks for any comments in advance.

lite

As far as I know you need a special converter/adapter to make it work. However the converter does not provide the same resolution/steps between open/closed. I've never used it but that's what I've read from people using it. So you still get the best results with the original ddrum4 hi-hat pad and its magnet. You could pull out the electronic sensor of the ddrum4 hi-hat pad and build something on your own (for example put the sensor and magnet under the hi-hat pedal). Someone posted pictures in the old ddrum forum of this modification. But that's offline now.

ddrum4se

Thanks for the info. I will give the pintech RHC100 a go and see how it works and report back. I suppose I could always use the TD20 for the cymbals and the Ddrum4 Se for the drums - have to see how it all goes.

ddrum4se

Well I have finally got around to trying the Smartrigger Hi Hats with the DDRUM4SE. I did need the Pintech RHC100 (a box with a cable which attaches to any standard hi hat pedal and moves up and down with the footboard), and also another Pintech box (which I think splits the signal) and a Y Cable.

Got to say it works perfectly - very nice feel to it - although cables every where .

TrommelTheo

@ DDrum4SE
would you be so kind an make a picture of that smarttrigger-Pintech-HiHat thing???
Thx

Theo

Cuban

I am using 5 Smartrigger cymbals with my 2Box, although not the hi-hat.
They work a treat, from splash to crash and ride to china!  :rock:

edtc

Quote from: Cuban on February 17, 2011, 09:12:55 PM
I am using 5 Smartrigger cymbals with my 2Box, although not the hi-hat.
They work a treat, from splash to crash and ride to china!  :rock:

hurrah !!! for once someone is speaking about the DRUMIT5 in this thread...:)

ddrum4se

Quote from: TrommelTheo on February 17, 2011, 06:14:27 PM
@ DDrum4SE
would you be so kind an make a picture of that smarttrigger-Pintech-HiHat thing???
Thx

Theo

Hi Theo - here you go. This box has a cable which attaches to the footboard of your Hi Hat. As the foot board moves up and down so to the cable moves in and out acting as a foot controller. One lead goes from the the box to another pintech (or hope drums see www.hopedrums.com where I got mine from) junction box. A cable comes from this box to the Y cable (stereo jack goes into the module) and another from underneath the smatrtrigger hats completes it. Do the usual hi calibration and it works very well.
There is a couple of videos on You Tube search for Mikey VPT and smartrigger and he explains setting up the controller box, and Hope Drums explains the junction box - I hope this helps.

ddrum4se

Quote from: edtc on February 18, 2011, 01:25:58 AM
hurrah !!! for once someone is speaking about the DRUMIT5 in this thread...:)

Well at least I was talking about the ddrum4se, although I would love a drummit 5 too.  :drum2:

Jman

I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

edtc

I  didnt say anything ...:)

by the way JMAN ... can i ask you a question about the type of material and glue you use to insulate your E-cymbals ?  i m into building 2 box compatibles cymbals for my own use ... allready have 3 prototypes  with different designs on my kit...:)

I heard a lot that smart trigger/alesis have a problem with the transparent rubber that peels and dont stick well... did you overcome this issue ?

if it s a secret , no problem ;)

Jman

Quote from: edtc on February 20, 2011, 04:04:49 PM
I  didnt say anything ...:)

by the way JMAN ... can i ask you a question about the type of material and glue you use to insulate your E-cymbals ?  i m into building 2 box compatibles cymbals for my own use ... allready have 3 prototypes  with different designs on my kit...:)

I heard a lot that smart trigger/alesis have a problem with the transparent rubber that peels and dont stick well... did you overcome this issue ?

if it s a secret , no problem ;)

Sent you a PM ... J
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

ddrum4se

Quote from: Jman on February 19, 2011, 09:46:50 PM
Looks like this is the additional box edtc mentions:
https://www.pintechworld.com/shop/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=71

Yes that is the junction box - this box with the controller box which attached to the Hi Hat stand is the two pieces you need.

beppedrum

I bought a module 2box + hi-hat and I want to play with my kit Jobeky Smartrigger / Surge cymbals.
I have a china and a splash monotrigger that work well but the 3-zone cymbals and 2-zone cymbals do not work
Let me explain: the zones are reversed (bell instead of bow) and I don't have the choke
I tried using the splitter cable, but I have not improved.
I saw that EDTC is working on a DIY project  and wanted to know if he had had good results.
Let me ask you also to Jman:  your trigger system now works well?
I tried to install OS 1.20 beta but I have only made things worse.
Can anyone help me?
thanks