News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

ddrum 4SE .mp3 files

Started by ericvanderwielen, October 08, 2010, 10:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

roel

Has anyone convert those ddrum 4 se samples to 2box wav samples?

mandubien

Yeah it would be great !

I'm looking for Simon Phillips sound, and I'm not fully satisfied with kit 19 in 2box.

If I had a ddrum 4 brain, I would made the sounds immediately. We just need to record the velocities and then use Louis' software to create the library.

If someone with ddrum 4 lives close to Strasbourg (France), I would be happy to help him to make those libraries  :rock:

lite

If you just want to have a certain set of sounds (Simon Phillips ) it might be possible to sample them with your PC. Download the sounds and the ddrum4 tool. The tool plays the sounds on a PC (every single sample). I think there is a tool called something like 'virtual cable'. This allows you to record the played sounds digitally without D/A conversion.

It should be worth the effort if you just want a few sounds but not the entire library.

However I am not sure if the samples will sound as good as on the ddrum4. AFAIK the ddrum4 does a lot more than just playing the different samples. There are algorithms to prevent machine gun effects and simulate a drum head vibration for playing rolls, etc. (as far as I remember clavia called this "drum head vibration algorithm"). The parameters for that are hidden in the ddrum4 sound format.

I don't know what the 2box is capable of in this respect but it's surely not compatible reading the additional parameters. If the 2box just plays the samples I am pretty sure they won't sound as real as they do on the ddrum4.

The Simon Phillips Toms are my absolute favorite ones on the ddrum4. But most of the time I play BFD Tom multisamples (Gretsch) imported into the ddrum3.

mandubien

Arf ! I'm on Mac...
My mom still has a PC. I downloaded the hole library so I will try something this week-end.

lite

Good luck! I bought an old Mac just because of the ddrum3 which was - contrary to the ddrum4 - Mac only :)

puttenvr

Quote from: lite on November 08, 2010, 11:32:26 AM
... it might be possible to sample them with your PC. Download the sounds and the ddrum4 tool. The tool plays the sounds on a PC (every single sample). I think there is a tool called something like 'virtual cable'. This allows you to record the played sounds digitally without D/A conversion.

I am afraid this will depend too much on the quality of your pc sound card

mandubien

Quote from: lite on November 08, 2010, 12:50:01 PM
Good luck! I bought an old Mac just because of the ddrum3 which was - contrary to the ddrum4 - Mac only :)

Well if there are Simon Phillips samples in ddrum 3 with the same quality than ddrum 4, it's great !

nonoduweb

...However I am not sure if the samples will sound as good as on the ddrum4...

I think you're right: the ddrum4tool program can read all the sounds of the ddrum4 (very interesting), but it doesn't simulate the module.
It only reads the differents samples in each sound, and it seems that there are not enough layers there to build a good sound for the 2box brain, except perhaps for the percussions or the effects.
We can ask to Deve to improve his ddrum4tool between two OS updates (perhaps during the night?  ;D), but maybe the best way to get the ddrum sounds is to use a midi file created with DsoundTool (with several midi velocities, 60 for a tom/snare, 40 for a kick, 3 or 4 secs of silence between each midi note - more for huge toms or cymbals sounds), to send these messages to the ddrum brain and to record the resulting audio in a single file (stereo wav format, 44Khz, 24 bits).
I hope it will help.  ;)

lite

Quote from: puttenvr on November 08, 2010, 05:11:20 PM
I am afraid this will depend too much on the quality of your pc sound card

No it won't as you don't have an audio playback. That's why it is called "virtual audio cable". It grabs the sound data directly without your soundcard playing it back.

lite

Quote from: mandubien on November 08, 2010, 06:09:24 PM
Well if there are Simon Phillips samples in ddrum 3 with the same quality than ddrum 4, it's great !

The Simon Phillips Signature Sounds came up when the ddrum4 was current. The ddrum3 library doesn't contain them. But I prefer the Tom sounds from the BFD Gretsch expansion anyway. The only thing I miss is that BFD didn't make multisamples for different zones, just velocity. So I can't use the multisample feature for different position zones with these sounds on the ddrum3.

Deve Loper

Hi.

Try this (PC only).
http://www.2box.se/Downloads/ddrum4wav.zip
Drop any ddrum4 mid file on it, and you get a bunch of wav files (mono 16 bit 44.1 kHz) in the same folder as the mid file. All wav files extracted take more space than the original mid file since the ddrum4 format is compressed.
This is just a hack, so no guarantees.
(You can use these files directly in the DrumIt Editor.)

Deve/

lite

Thank You very much! This is very usefull.

Do you know if the hidden and so called "DVA" feature/value in the ddrum3 can be used to get simalair algorithms with user loaded multisamples? I know it's not about the 2box but I understand you guys are still the knowledge pool for ddrum stuff due to your roots :-)

lite

Do you think it would be possible to have such a hack the other way round? wav -> ddrum4?  ;D :o

Mesursur

However I am not sure if the samples will sound as good as on the ddrum4. AFAIK the ddrum4 does a lot more than just playing the different samples. There are algorithms to prevent machine gun effects and simulate a drum head vibration for playing rolls, etc. (as far as I remember clavia called this "drum head vibration algorithm"). The parameters for that are hidden in the ddrum4 sound format.

I don't know what the 2box is capable of in this respect but it's surely not compatible reading the additional parameters. If the 2box just plays the samples I am pretty sure they won't sound as real as they do on the ddrum4.

;)
Every software program has algorithms. Without it, it wont even start. The same people (or some) that worked on the ddrum4, worked on the drumit, so they now about it. A algorithm doesnt need a parameter from a sample to work correctly. If it does, it would be useless to make home-made samples. all it needs is a sample. The algorithms are just in the software and programmed without the need of sample parameters.

The ddrum machines had (have) two sound processing units inside. Thats why there is no "machine gun" triggering.

All the algorithm does is (i think and a lot more complex :)) if, stick hits pad with xx velocity, sample-x,x is triggered at that volume, rate, dynamic range ... else, no sound. If next hit is in < 1 sec, use second sound unit and play sample ...... .

No need for parameters in the sample. Just good programming (not mine:))

Ok, enough about the ddrum4, drumit is the new poop and better!

Mesursur

WOW, that program works like a charm. Many thanks:)