News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

16GB SDHC Memory Card

Started by dane, October 06, 2010, 12:37:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hwasser

Be carefull though with insiders warning. Maybe there will come a upgrade in the system to 8 gb in future that you can kind of easily fix you self or something like that.

dane

Quote from: fishmonkey on October 08, 2010, 08:37:48 AM
for cards 8 GB or above, i don't think you can get anything slower than a Class 4.

here's one way to look at it:

16 GB SDHC card, Class 4:

15 Mb/s = 1.875 MB/s, so it would take about 140 minutes to fill the card.

16 GB SDHC card, Class 6:

20 Mb/s = 2.5 MB/s, now it would take around 105 minutes.

it would be interesting to know what the speed of the standard card that comes with the 2Box is...

card that comes with the 2Box is class 6

puttenvr

See http://www.drummerforum.de/forum/40438-2box-drumit-five-bestellt-fotos-test-und-erfahrungen-hier-sobald-es-eintrifft/thread58.html

If I understand the German language correct
- you can put a larger card into the 2box brain
- you can load that card with sounds by using a card reader
- you can't assign the new card by using the USB. Both Windows and Mac stop at a 4gb limit even if the card is 16 gb

Does it mean that you need to open the module, and remove the card everytime you want to (x)change new sounds?

fishmonkey

yep, you would have to remove the card to change files...

depending on how the 2Box brain works, that might be something that can be changed with firmware, but it might also be a hardware limitation.

another option would be to make or buy an SD card extension cable, so you can mount the card on the outside of the brain.

http://www.ec21.com/product-details/SD-Card-Extension-Cable--3862035.html

puttenvr

And that the female singer holds that card holder for you

fishmonkey

sure, whatever floats your boat...

XYZSpeedy

Quote from: puttenvr on October 08, 2010, 02:31:41 PM
See http://www.drummerforum.de/forum/40438-2box-drumit-five-bestellt-fotos-test-und-erfahrungen-hier-sobald-es-eintrifft/thread58.html

If I understand the German language correct
- you can put a larger card into the 2box brain
- you can load that card with sounds by using a card reader
- you can't assign the new card by using the USB. Both Windows and Mac stop at a 4gb limit even if the card is 16 gb

Does it mean that you need to open the module, and remove the card everytime you want to (x)change new sounds?

Hello puttenvr,

your german is better than my english  ;)
yes, your translation is correct  :) - but Windows can't access the 16GB-Card and will start format the Card as 4GB.
MacOS (says User AA in the German forum) can access the 16GB-Card, but write access over 4GB destroy
Files and/or the File system. Ok, this means: with SDHC-Cards over 4GB DON'T USE USB!!!

My first Test was ok too ... but later, after some copy jobs, the 2Box displayed Flash Error and FAT error.
i formatted the Card again and copied only the Firmware and Settings, but Errors displayed again  :'(
I Use a 16GB-Card Class 10.

i stopped my Tests now, but i will get an SD Extension Cable to cange the Card from outside the Brain.

Greetings

puttenvr

Danke schön für deine Erklärung, also ein

BIG WARNING
is on it place here

dane

Quote from: XYZSpeedy on October 09, 2010, 10:56:45 PM
Hello puttenvr,

your german is better than my english  ;)
yes, your translation is correct  :) - but Windows can't access the 16GB-Card and will start format the Card as 4GB.
MacOS (says User AA in the German forum) can access the 16GB-Card, but write access over 4GB destroy
Files and/or the File system. Ok, this means: with SDHC-Cards over 4GB DON'T USE USB!!!

My first Test was ok too ... but later, after some copy jobs, the 2Box displayed Flash Error and FAT error.
i formatted the Card again and copied only the Firmware and Settings, but Errors displayed again  :'(
I Use a 16GB-Card Class 10.

i stopped my Tests now, but i will get an SD Extension Cable to cange the Card from outside the Brain.

Greetings

only works class 2,4,6

fishmonkey

XYZSpeedy

Quote from: dane on October 10, 2010, 11:15:20 AM
only works class 2,4,6

i think too, but a user in another forum says, he use an Class 10 Card.
I'm sure, simply we must use the "right" Card (Manufacturer, Class, etc.).

First incompatibly List (aka "DON'T USE IT for 2Box Brains!") ;-)
- Patriot Secure Digital SDHC Card (LXseries, Class 10)

Deve Loper

Hi guys.
It's human isn't, to try things beyond what it is intended for...
So here it is. The boot program which handles the USB transfer is currently limited to 4 GB cards. Besides that, there are very (!) specific conditions the SD card has to conform to regarding speed and access times. So experiments with other cards are entirely at your own risk (and void waranty).
Also I keep reading these posts and all good ideas are noted for future use.
Regards,
Deve.

fishmonkey

Quote from: Deve Loper on October 10, 2010, 03:04:12 PM
Hi guys.
It's human isn't, to try things beyond what it is intended for...
So here it is. The boot program which handles the USB transfer is currently limited to 4 GB cards. Besides that, there are very (!) specific conditions the SD card has to conform to regarding speed and access times. So experiments with other cards are entirely at your own risk (and void waranty).
Also I keep reading these posts and all good ideas are noted for future use.
Regards,
Deve.

hey Mr Loper,

it's always good to hear your comments!

can the boot program be updated at a later date, or is it in some kind of read-only memory?

also, that's a tantalising statement about transfer and access times. should we be testing a range of Class 6 cards only?

hint, hint?

AA_

the brain with an accessible SD slot :D

(testing phase):

tools... *g*

uhmmm...

current SD Card: "Transcend SDHC, 16GB, class 10"
SD card slot: SD CARD CABLE EXTENDER EXTENSION SDHC 32GB 50 CM / 20"

@dane thanks for the inspiration! :)

mandubien

Can't see the images. Can you repost them ?