News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Record video and audio

Started by paolob, May 11, 2019, 08:52:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paolob

Hi everyone, I hope someone can help me and I apologize for my bad English.
I'll explain my problem.
I would like to record video and audio by connecting my Drumit 5, via the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer to the Zoom Q8 camera.
Could some kind soul explain to me where I have to connect the cables and what types of cables should I use? I have to exit the Drumit 5 module and enter the mixer and then exit the mixer and enter the Zoom 8 camera via the microphone inputs 1 and 2.
Also I should connect my notebook (where I have the drumless bases) always to the mixer.
Sorry if the question seems a little stupid to you, but I'm losing myself...

Jman

The Microphone inputs of the Zoom Q8 accept either XLR or 1/4" TS cables. I think your mixer has 1/4" TS outputs so you can use 1/4" TS cables for connecting. You will need to read the Zoom Q8 Manual which will explain all the audio/video options and settings, no way around that. Reading the manual instructions is very important.
I could tell you where to stick that piezo! :D ;)
http://stealthdrums.com/

ANGR77

Hi!

The Q802USB have balanced outputs (TRS Tele) which can you can connect to your Zoom Q8 using these kind of cables: https://www.thomann.de/intl/cae_17064_audiokabel.htm?ref=cg_cg_4_7_pro+snake_0
(You need two)

Connect the 2box DrumIt Five to the mixer using plain unbalanced 1/4 connector > unbalanced 1/4 connector cables to your two mic/line inputs: Example on cables: https://www.thomann.de/intl/pro_snake_tpi_10.htm?ref=cg_cg_3_3_pro+snake_0

Normally you would just need two of these cables tapping a stereo signal...but as you have many inputs on your mixer...you could go even further using 6 channels on 2box feeding 6 channels on you mixer. (But this could be your next step if succeeding with a stereo recording - some of the inputs are a bit limited with EQ etc...but it would work)

Ok- The computer - You can just connect you computer via USB and play your drumless tracks. (Just install the right driver on your PC) The mixer is also a sound card...so it will play the music together with you 2box channels. You will need to adjust the volume coming from the computer with the signal coming from the 2box...but besides this...this would feed all the audio signals into your Zoom Q8 in a nice way. :-)

Speaking about manuals:
https://media63.music-group.com/media/sys_master/hda/hdd/8849411702814.pdf

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: ANGR77 on May 12, 2019, 07:27:01 AM
Hi!

The Q802USB have balanced outputs (TRS Tele) which can you can connect to your Zoom Q8 using these kind of cables: https://www.thomann.de/intl/cae_17064_audiokabel.htm?ref=cg_cg_4_7_pro+snake_0
(You need two)

Anders / www.zourman.com
He was asking about recording into the Zoom Q8, not into the computer. I do it myself. Not sure if you meant Outputs on this or Inputs. Like I said the Zoom can accept 1/4" TS/TRS cables or XLR cables. The Outputs of the mixer are Line type 1/4" and they are unbalanced ..... So, yes he could get 1/4" to XLR cables, but since the Q8 accepts either XLR, TS, or TRS .... he can just use TRS cables or TS .... might as well use TRS I suppose since the Zoom Q8 has balanced inputs .... but ..... The reason I mentioned Reading the manual is there are quite a few settings to be made in the Q8. Resolution of Audio/Video, whether Stereo or Mono, etc. etc .... also including a setting to reduce the db of the inputs. I record every week into the Zoom Q8 ....

paolob

Yes, my idea is to be able to record both audio and video directly in the Zoom Q8.
I would like to connect:
- The notebook at the mixer (to have the drumless bases), not having the line-out on the notebook, I think I have to get out of the headphone socket and enter a mixer line-in
- Drumit 5 to the mixer, then line-out of the Drumit 5 module in a mixer line-in
- Enter the Zoom Q8 in line 1 and line 2 starting from the mixer lineout
My question was exactly which jacks should I use on the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer to make all the connections and which are the right cables I need to buy (balanced or unbalanced)
I apologize but I'm really level zero for these things...  :-\

ANGR77

:-)

The tele outputs on that mixer is balanced. (TRS)

Who said something about recording through the mixer...we are talking about replaying OPs drumsless tracks From the PC via USB to the mixer which can act as a sound card...then the whole thing gets recorded on the Zoom Q8.

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: ANGR77 on May 12, 2019, 03:44:18 PM

The tele outputs on that mixer is balanced. (TRS)

Who said something about recording through the mixer...we are talking about replaying OPs drumsless tracks From the PC via USB to the mixer which can act as a sound card...then the whole thing gets recorded on the Zoom Q8.

Anders / www.zourman.com
From the manual:
Main Outputs
Type                             Â¼â€ TRS connector   unbalanced

EDIT, my mistake, the 802USB model does have 1/4" TRS BALANCED Main Outs .... the regular 802 has the Unbalanced.

So the OP can use a simple 1/4" TRS audio cable for hooking up to the Zoom Q8 from the Mixer. One Tip, at least with my mixer, (not a Behringer, but my previous mixer was a Behringer and this applied to it too) in the Zoom Q8 menu there are a couple settings under the Audio category you will want to do. Choose Stereo for you mic inputs 1 - 2. and under Pad setting you will probably want to choose -20db ... at least that is what I do with my mixer, as the signal is pretty hot for the Q8.... without choosing the -20db setting I have to set my Main Outs VERY low from the mixer, and in turn my Headphones end up with too low of a volume even when maxed on the headphone gain control. You can try it though with the -20db setting ON, and OFF to check the signal into the Zoom Q8.

ANGR77

Jman - you almost made me worried...luckely on page 10..specs..it states "balanced"...:-)

Never mind! -The real challenge for the OP is to create a good mix...and find the right input settings for the Q8. (Besides playing…). The Behringers is not known for providing good output signal...Not at least on my XR12 board...my three other Mackie mixers gives better signal as default.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com

Jman

Quote from: ANGR77 on May 12, 2019, 10:12:58 PM

Jman - you almost made me worried...luckely on page 10..specs..it states "balanced"...:-)

Never mind! -The real challenge for the OP is to create a good mix...and find the right input settings for the Q8. (Besides playing…). The Behringers is not known for providing good output signal...Not at least on my XR12 board...my three other Mackie mixers gives better signal as default.

Best Regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sorry about that .... I have several Behringer Mixer Manuals on my PC, including the XENYX 802 and the XENYX Q802USB. I realized later I had the non USB manual open. I was surprised though that the two are different as far as Balanced and Unbalanced Main Outs!
The Zoom Q8 can be a little tricky. I've been using one for years. As a matter of fact I had an intermittent problem where I would get all my levels set then do a video .... 9 out of 10 times everything was fine, but 1 out of 10 recordings would have one channel cut out intermittently. It was a pain to isolate the problem. I had changed settings, changed XLR cables, recorded with a hotter signal from the Mixer and lower input settings on the Q8 ..... Lower settings from the Mixer, higher settings at the Q8. -20db ON, -20db OFF, etc. etc. Finally just today it happened. and I took the camera over and set it next to me .... turned an MP3 on ...... and started pushing on the XLR plugs .... it started happening while I could see it .... push the cable around, wiggle it ..... connected to the 1 Mic input and it would happen. I took the XLR plug apart, saw nothing unusual, but separated the wires to be sure nothing was shorting, used electical cleaner spray on the prongs ..... put everything back together and tested ..... problem solved .... but that has been plaguing me for a year! And it really sucks to get a video take down that you are satisfied with only to find out the audio is screwed up!

Anyway, when the OP does get to recording I recommend you always set your levels, do a quick recording and check it. That is so important. It will tell you how your levels are. It might sound perfect from your headphones at the Mixer and not what you expect at the camera.