News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Anyone Willing To Help Me Dial In My Pads? (All Roland)

Started by nohumanape, March 27, 2019, 03:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nohumanape

So I picked up a Roland TD-20 to use with my DrumIt 3. What I have connected are: PD-105x2 up top, PD-125 for snare and floor, CY-14 for Crash 1 and 2, CY-15r for Ride, KD-8 (working on getting a KD-120, as that is what was supposed to come with the kit) and VH-11 for hats.

VH-11: I went through the Hi-Hat calibration set up and they feel pretty good. But I still dont feel as if I'm really getting a smooth closed to open range. Also, it doesn't seem to easily register quick open hat motions. I play with a lot of hat finess, so this is something I'd really like to figure out.

CY-15r: The Bow and the Bell seem to trigger WAY too easily. I only need to get close to the edge for the ride to "crash" and only need to approach the bell (within an inch) to trigger the bell tone.
Also, it sometimes will just randomly trigger the floor tom. And I tapped all around the rack and on the cymbal stand to if it was cross tall sensitivity, but I couldn't get that to trigger the tom. (Same thing happens with the crash and Hi-Hat at times).

CY-14: These are two zone cymbals, but I am only triggering the edge. Is that normal? Shouldn't I have a secondary tone zone?

PD-105 & PD-125: The main thing here is that these drums sound at times like they are creating a flam signal. Like it's triggering twice in close succession. Mostly when I am playing heavily and am triggering the "Rim" zone.

Anyway, any help would be VERY appreciated.

FooFighters

Hi, Here's my thoughts on your questions :

I see similar problems with my VH11 and CY15R.
I also got the floor tom sound and for me it was the snare that triggered that.
With crosstalk on high it solved my problem. (but I have a hybrid kit with internal trigger, no roland pad).

CY14C should have bow and edge when plugged in CYMB xA input.
Do you use CyPS(B) as cymbal type ?

How are your mask settings at the PD105 ? I need quite a lot of mask (mostly 5-6) to cancel retriggers on my kit.

Are you using default sounds ? or imported sounds like Digital drummer ?

Regards,

Dennis

nohumanape

Quote from: FooFighters on March 27, 2019, 08:18:15 AM
Hi, Here's my thoughts on your questions :

I see similar problems with my VH11 and CY15R.
I also got the floor tom sound and for me it was the snare that triggered that.
With crosstalk on high it solved my problem. (but I have a hybrid kit with internal trigger, no roland pad).

CY14C should have bow and edge when plugged in CYMB xA input.
Do you use CyPS(B) as cymbal type ?

How are your mask settings at the PD105 ? I need quite a lot of mask (mostly 5-6) to cancel retriggers on my kit.

Are you using default sounds ? or imported sounds like Digital drummer ?

Regards,

Dennis
I haven't messed with Mask settings really. I'll give those a go. Thanks for the tips! I'll try them out.

And just for dialing purposes, I'm using the built in sounds. But I will be importing sounds from Addictive Drums 2 and some That Sound sample libraries.

FooFighters

For me the mask setting makes my kit playable.
Without it the snare and base keep retriggering constantly.

I also use a few AD2 kits, I love them, they are great.

ANGR77

Hi!

For VH11 and cy15R check my configuration guides for DrumIt Three. Both videos and documents.
https://zourman.com/knowledge/2box-drumit-three-knowledge/

Best regards

Anders / www.zourman.com
Sonor Safari, Pearl Crystalbeat, Zourman Triggers, Roland & Triggera, 2box Cymbals & HH, RT-10, KT-10, BT-1, VH-11/12/13, ATV hh, KT-10, 14C/13R/15R, PCY-155, MD, 2Box 5 MK1&II & 3, DD4SE, Pearl ButtKicker Addictive Drums 2.1.14, all ADPaks moved to 2box, Zourman Conversion Gears www.zourman.com

nohumanape

Quote from: FooFighters on March 27, 2019, 03:57:41 PM
For me the mask setting makes my kit playable.
Without it the snare and base keep retriggering constantly.

I also use a few AD2 kits, I love them, they are great.
What exactly is the "Mask" doing?

nohumanape

Quote from: FooFighters on March 28, 2019, 08:00:49 AM
Mask is a retriggering cancel.
Sorry, I'm new to all this. What does that mean, exactly?

welshsteve

When a signal is generated from a mesh head (or any other trigger source) it's a wave form with peaks and troughs. Depending on the mesh head, dampening, tuned pitech etc, that wave form will differ from other mesh heads and their pitches and damping. So depending on trigger types, that wave form can cause a module to trigger a sounds more than once very quickly. So adjusting mask is telling the module to effectively only trigger the first peak of a wave form but no others in a set time. Other modules will show you the actual time and sometimes call it "retrigger cancel" but it's the same thing.

it would be easier to explain this with a diagram but I hope this helps.
My Hovercraft is full of Eels!

nohumanape

Quote from: welshsteve on March 29, 2019, 06:55:06 AM
When a signal is generated from a mesh head (or any other trigger source) it's a wave form with peaks and troughs. Depending on the mesh head, dampening, tuned pitech etc, that wave form will differ from other mesh heads and their pitches and damping. So depending on trigger types, that wave form can cause a module to trigger a sounds more than once very quickly. So adjusting mask is telling the module to effectively only trigger the first peak of a wave form but no others in a set time. Other modules will show you the actual time and sometimes call it "retrigger cancel" but it's the same thing.

it would be easier to explain this with a diagram but I hope this helps.
This helps. Thank you very much!