News:

2box forum: accident-free since the last one.

Main Menu

Latency Measurements drumit3

Started by Krillo, October 18, 2018, 12:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krillo

I was wondering if someone owning the drumit3 would please measure the latency? I wonder if it was improved over the drumit5, which I measured and posted here on the forum.

digitalDrummer

5 ms (identical to the DI5)

Krillo

Thanks for the info!
However, I got the module and have done some measurements. Results are as follows:

Snare pad was Yamaha XP120SD
Snare head 6ms
Rimshot and x-stick gave similar results: at 3ms you have response, but the signal is of lower level. At 9ms full amplitude of signal is produced by the module. Not sure what this is about. Similar result with hihat pedal, see below.

Tom pad was a 10" ddrum3 precision pad. These pads used to produce too hot signal for the drumit5, this have changed in the drumit 3 and the level from these pads are no longer an issue.
Triggersetting "actr1" gave  3,5 ms

Hihat pad used was Yamaha RHH-135
HH open bow 5,5ms
HH open edge 6-7,5ms

HH closed bow 5,5ms
HH closed edge 6ms

The pedal function is what stood out negatively. 11-33ms with that lower signal appearing at 11ms and then the full signal at 33ms.

By the way I will be looking to change hihat pad for something better.

Ride pad was Yamaha PSY-155
Bow 3,5-5,5ms (quite a lot of jitter / variance)
Edge 5 5ms
Bell 3-5,5ms (variance here too)

Finally I scrolled through all triggertypes to see what the difference between them were. Pad used was 10" ddrum3 precision pad. Module was in that menu location when testing. I have read that this might affect performance, but I couldn't detect any abnormal performance.
Triggertypes:

kick1 4ms
kick2 4ms
padpp 4ms
papss 4ms
papsy 4ms
padps 4ms
actr1 3ms
actr2 3,5ms
actr3 4,5ms
rubh1 3ms
rubh2 3ms
rubh3 3,5ms

digitalDrummer

My standard test is snare head, triggered by a piezo whose output is split - one cable direct to the interface, the second to the snare input with a direct out to the interface. The latency is the difference between the same wave form from each input.

Krillo

Quote from: digitalDrummer on November 17, 2018, 01:11:12 PM
My standard test is snare head, triggered by a piezo whose output is split - one cable direct to the interface, the second to the snare input with a direct out to the interface. The latency is the difference between the same wave form from each input.

That's how I make my tests too.

Cableaddict

Krillo,

Nice work!

-  but could you possibly also test with a large-ish kick pad?

I suspect that the latency will be more, since the waveform is larger & thus takes more time to crest.

Krillo

Quote from: Cableaddict on March 23, 2019, 12:53:46 AM
Krillo,

Nice work!

-  but could you possibly also test with a large-ish kick pad?

I suspect that the latency will be more, since the waveform is larger & thus takes more time to crest.

Thanks!

I set up my old dd4 kick pad with a mesh head and a ddrum trigger (the pads internal piezo is busted). Resulted in a quite sloppy signal, as expected. Latency with the drumit3 was somewhere between 3,8 to 5,8ms. Not a solution that I would use.

Something you might want to consider is the footblaster. Triggers from the pedal instead from the actual pad. https://footblaster.com/
Don't know if it makes any click noise as it hits the pedal, but should give a cleaner trig signal than the Hart Mesh pad you mentioned. Might work with the ddrum3.

Cableaddict

Woah -  that footblaster looks very intriguing.

I think that type of sensor will likely wear out quickly, but as long as they sell replacements.

Time to look for user-reviews of this thing.

THANKS !